1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What religions would we accept in the White House?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by LKD, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree completely with you Monty. I just used the 3% as an example because even 3% would, at this point, mean that neither the Republicans or the Democrats would have a majority in either house of Congress. Add in that the Greens aren't the only other political party in the U.S., and you are talking about a whole bunch of potential seats. As it is, I'd say that somewhere around 5%-7% of all votes go to third party canidates - and I agree that there would be more if it actually resulted in those groups having a voice in the government.

I think it wouldn't matter if a 3rd party never played a major role in government - just enough to make some level of compromise possible. I'd be totally fine if we had a Senate that consisted of 47 Republicans, 47 Democrats, and 6 Independent/3rd party canidates.

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well, the American system has the checks and balances built in differently than in a parliamentary system, so you can have a situation with a Republican President and a Democratic House of Representatives. We don't have that in Canada. Our system really boils down to a two party system as well, whereas some people (me for one) would like to see a system of proportional representation that gives third parties more of an influence. Of course, that would open the door to all sorts of religious nutjobs (me for one, at least in the view of some here) to swoop in and influence public policy. Of course, it'd also open the door for the Marijuana party . . .

Sorry to have this slide away from the original thread topic . . .

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    When all things are said and done all democracies seems to boil down to a two party system. Sure, Sweden has several parties but they are either left, or right and any government is either a full coalation or the biggest left wing party rule with the support but not inclusion of the greens and commies. Many different parties, end result same as in the US though, either one side or the other wins.

What is nice is that with a parlimentary system you can switch the balance within hte blocks. If oyu are tired of X you can vote for Y without actually helping Z which you despise.

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

We have actually a three-party system in Finland with the national coalition, social democrats and the center party all being nearly on an equal footing. ;)

EDIT: Oh and as of yet we've not had any pre-election alliances on the national level, and hopefully won't have either.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Sounds like fun. Who's invited? :)

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Chandos, you know you're always invited to come up and party here in Edmonton with me, as are all of my fellow posters here on SP!!

Actually, Joaqin, the way our system here in Canada works, if the vote is split between two right wing parties, that opens the door for the left wing party to glide right in, which leads some leaders of the rignt wing parties to say "a vote for the other right winger is as good as a vote for the lefties!" I hate the "first past the post" system here in Canada.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.