1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What name do you give your PC?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Evil Dad, Jul 22, 2003.

1. DarkRomances Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I usually give latin names to my PCs ( hurray for french/english/latin dictionnaries ! ), I find Latin names epic, like from a distant past, they sound at least :)

2. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I use either my real name 'Tyr' or choose the names of European celtic warriors, druids or magicians.

I do get annoyed when people call themselves Tupac2004 on Diablo 2 as its very out of character for a Necromancer!

Arn't Elves supposed to originate from Scotland and Scandanavia?

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Sometimes I use Gaelic or Old English, for instance Fallain for a paladin and Nihtscada for a thief or druid.
    Or I just come up with a weird name like Kiu for a mage or Kal (like superman ;) ) or Tanarek for my cleric/ranger.

@Cesard the Fir Bolg: do they? I didn't see any elf in Scotland last time I was there! :)

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Hang on a minute... Didn't we already have this thread? :confused:

But to keep in the spirit of things, I often use "Niadh" (the original Celtic spelling of my RL name) for a male Druid or Ranger/Cleric, or the equivalent "Niamh" for a gal. My most commonly used name has to be "Johan Borusa", for an Inquisitor (ok, that's BG2 - sue me! :p ) or Ranger (esp. Stalker), which is the name I used for my Inquisitor back in my misspent youth with Warhammer 40k. I've also used "Asurob Nahoj" (same thing reversed) for a Tiefling Fighter/Rogue in IWD II, as it's kinda like his anti-character, if you see what I mean. Most common female name I use is probably Camaru, for an assassin- or archer-style character. Again, it's a throwback to GW, with the name being lifted from the old 40k "Rogue Trader" manual.

I've used other ones before, too, which are mostly derivations of names from other games e.g: - Ventic changed from Bentic in UVIII; Sabrianne is directly lifted from a Sorceress in the same game.

One of my own creation was "V'lek" for an evil Monk (again, BG2 - sorry!), and I also started a multiplayer game once with a halfling F/T and Gnome C/I, who were Padraig "Padge" Padfoot and Grig Grigssen, respectively. Plan was to go through with just the two of them, but I got bored.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    A version of my own name or nickname.

6. Elwyn De'Liam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Why do you bump a thread from two years ago when you have an identical one on the first page?!

7. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Jaguar. Unless its a girl. Then I name her something girly.

8. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

for a female cleric I always use Ginna Ti'Rein ... sometimes I take a name from a book then make up a last name .. like Faerod D'Taermoor .. then give him a sister Listra D'Taermoor .. or I'll take a word from another language that means what their class is or race or whatever then spell it slightly different.. like Sturm Vaeschaefen <--I'm pretty sure I misspelled that =\ .. or Quaerion Zaubaerer .. Storm Thief and ???? Wizard in German respectively

9. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I only play with males, and some names i use are:
    Jared Blackstone, Morn Ironfist, Thorghal Sledgehammer and many more>

10. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Undertaker - my favourite:D
    and some names taken from NWN at the character creation

11. wenchwogg Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

I often sit at the computer for an insane amount of time trying to come up with a name.

The first time I went through Baldur's Gate, I was a Half-Elf Ranger named "Jrytt". However, each time I play any game where I name the character, I choose a different name.

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Every once in a while, I'll name them something ironic. While the novelty of hearing everyone call you Master, or My Lord wears off fairly quickly, it's hilarious to argue with the Flaming Fist about your name: "I AM the law." "No, I am Thellaw." :lol:

One I've been thinking about naming a ranger is Wanderer.
    Elminster: "Hello wanderer, stay thy course and indulge an old man."
    PC: "How did you know my name?!" :eek:

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Felinoid: Elminster: "Hello, Elminster"...

@hedron: Grab an online translator or dictionary. Or a real dictionary. How geeky. Hehe.

@Jaguar: I played a solo IWD2 character once and her name was Archentrudis. It's actually a real Byzantine name. It was too long to be followed by an appellation, but I was thinking about Orkoktona (Orcslayer in Greek, feminine form :shake: ). There was that Byzantine Emperor called Basileios Boulgaroktonos (the slayer of Bulgars). Now, Goblinoktonos would sound funny. :D :lol:

14. Dall Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I always call my first char Morten :)1 Cause that's my own name :) ! Morten Dall.. Call me silly, but I think it makes the roleplay experience better... I like when the NPC's are speaking directly to me :) ! It makes it easier to play along and enjoy the brilliant history...

15. Arianyr Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

i have a real knack for names, i do :D
    i even create surnames for all my characters, such as:

Zan'Turil Senfaladon for an elf
    Tayenias Flarien for my human fighter
    Elric Blacklance for anything....just sounds cool
    jeldrick forne for my other human

and the one i use in PNP....a gnome illusionist called...Merrybuck Finckle ! this name is mine! mine, i tell ya! MINE!!!

also, try looking up the names that your name comes from..the base of my name leads to Cainnech and Cinead...sounds faerûn-ish, right?

16. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

"Jaguar. Unless its a girl. Then I name her something girly."

Jaguara? :p

For me...
    Male - Karos
    Female - Demi

Pretty simple. I think I once did different, on a dwarf, but can't remember what was it.

17. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Technically I suppose I know lots of names, but I only have four that I like to use in games. Trevelyn and Vali Valerenga for men, and Daria and Kahlen for women. (This makes it hard to play certain other games covered by Sorcerer's Place where you have to create more than four characters, but that's neither here nor there.)

18. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I don't know of any where you need 4 characters... you can play with less, after all.

19. Grumpi Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

For any fighter character: Ivan The Great

For rogue or mage character: Grumpi

20. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    Sandro was my first character in BG1... Not a mage, though. A fighter...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.