1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What monsters you all hate most, why?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Bassil Warbone, Dec 14, 2006.

1. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Just casting "animate dead" is much cheaper.

3. raptor Gems: 16/31

With two characters on party (total) I loose both characters capable of casting "stone to flesh" before I get time to cast it, and even then they just get "stoned" (tm) again a seccond after :)

Stealth + run = survive

Potions would work, I just haven't had a reason per say to kill them yet (I don't go kill things unprovoked, yeah I am playing a bit unusual).

Animate dead is out of the question, as neither character accepts undead :)

I will probablly end up with a thief/mage and learn the mirror eye spell instead.

[ May 28, 2007, 11:55: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

4. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    There is no spell called 'Mirror Eyes'. There are potions, but no spell.

The spell you want to be casting is Protection from Petrification, a second level mage spell. The main difference between the spell and the potion is duration. The spell lasts 5 turns, while the potion lasts 10 rounds. That can be quite the difference.

If you can't see any reason to attack them, you don't have a mage to cast Protection and you won't use Animate Dead, then why fight them? Sounds like you are doing a RP run, so unless you are doing it for the challenge, it is perfectly acceptable not to slaughter certain areas.

5. Synergy14 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I believe Protection for Petrification is a first level mage spell.

6. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Just checked. Yep it is first. My bad.

7. raptor Gems: 16/31

THe spell "Protection from Petrification" has been renamed in the mod "Fields of the Dead" that I am playing, to "Mirror Eyes", Sorry for the confusion! ;)

And yes it is a RPG run sort of. Completelly disregarding storyline and just enjoying crusing down around teh country side exploring the wildlife. Trying to avoid the towns, but unfortunatelly Gulykin doesnt have a merchant/inn, so I can't avoid having to in to the "humans" ;)

8. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Caradhras: "and bandits are even worse than gibberlings, but that's because they use bows and bows are so effective at lower levels."
    I never noticed how deadly a group of bandits can be until I played a few games as a mage and moved through the game as quickly as possible. These buttholes spawned every time I changed maps. It took some creative work to find a marching order that placed my mage in safe spot in the line up so that he was not targeted first. If he got targeted by more than one bandit he was toast.

9. Morthond Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Media:
    Ettercaps! Everytime! I despise the things, they seem quite hard to hit and they poison a lot on hits, just when you've run out of slow poison spells and antidotes. Generally just a real nuisance. Wyverns are even worse I suppose, but at least they don't LOOK annoying.
    Ohhhh and the hamadryad! Bad memories. (yet one of the small things that makes BG fantastic)

10. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What about Ankhegs?
    First time I ran into one it took out half my party in a couple of rounds...

11. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Meh, so long as you don't go running around the Anheg heavy area too early on, Anhegs are easy experience.

12. Sandmann Gems: 1/31

Only the first basilisk was shocking, after that, I've sent my thief to scout around every new area, and where another of these lizzards hide... There goes 2 or 3 fireballs from a safe distance.
    Firewine with the respawning kobold commandos, that is really a pain to get through, and ankhegs with their spitting easily kill even a high level mage is there are enough of them.

13. Lycrius Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'd have to go with basilisks and those ettercaps combined with the web trap(those traps caught me more than twice), kobold commanders are nasty but the thicker your armor and the larger your shield(or high sneak) they are np. btw I never kept protection from paralyse scrolls with me only the stone to flesh scrolls.

14. Gasha Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hmm... Ettercaps and Wyverns are damn irritating since poison seems to be so ridiculously overpowered in the BG games... I've always thought that the Ghouls are damn irritating too, especially in the beginning... "Fighter attacks. Fighter Held, Fighter Dead"

15. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

In my opinion, the most irritating monster for a low level party are Ogre Mages. They can bring the pain, especially if you don't expect them in a random encounter.

16. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The monsters I hate the most are the ones under my bed.

The Kobold Commandos at the Firewine Bridge are a close second, however. Combine the constant respawning with the horrible path-finding of the Infinity Engine at the time of BG and you've got yourself a few dead adventurers because they took an "alternate path" to your destination and got turned into a pin cushion.

17. Maylander Gems: 1/31

The sirines are easy to counter - just send in your toughest guy and let him deal with them. If they charm him, he'll be out of range of your own party, and friendly to the sirines, so he'll just stand around for the duration of the charm. When it wears off, he'll start bashing again.

Basilisks are not really a problem either as long as you cast protection from petrification on your tank.

I personally hate kobolds, not because they're difficult to fight, but because of the insane respawn rate they have in certain places (such as Firewine Bridge). Impossible to rest, impossible to go anywhere without them spawning, in general it's simply very frustrating to be near them.

18. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Yes kobold kommandos cause much pain and loathing to me too. They have very impressive THAC0 for their lvl and upon a failed save vs breath weapon your characters suffer heavy damage.

19. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I avoid the firewine area until after I've collected the boots of avoidance and preferably the Large shield +1/+4 vs missile weapons.

Then, send your tank in there with those items along with the girdle of piercing and full plate he's practically immune to their attacks. Alternately you can spread the items around and just leave your other characters somewhere safe. Makes things much easier. Too bad those arrows of fire are considered magical, as this would be THE time to use Protection from Normal Missiles.

It's also too bad that spell in Baldur's Gate II that reflects missile attacks back at their attackers isn't available here. It would be amusing to use it against the kobolds.

20. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    I generally hate Elves. Not as numerous af Xvarts, though... too bad.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.