1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What monsters you all hate most, why?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Bassil Warbone, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

In BG, lower level fights are so much fun, although play IWDII and that idea goes completely out the window, it's allllllllll about magic.

Back on topic though,

Ever travelled from nashkel to Baldur's Gate or just a REALLY long distance on the map? Sometimes you get caught out by bandits and you get surrounded, by lots of them..

2. Ecniv Sllew Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

When your soloing a low level mage, most strong melee characters/monsters are fun to fight. (I love fighting ogres of any variety for some reason).

But sirines...gah. I associate all the map places on the south west coast with immense frustration.

3. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Also the fact that the charm-re-charm often bugs and you get a permanently enemy charmed character etc can cause lots of joy...

4. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I hate ghasts: their attack may paralyse.
    I hate skeletons: they have critical hits on you, only suffer 1 HP when you hit them with a missile, and no loot on them.
    I hate wyverns: their poison is too horrible (10 HP/round?).

5. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Wyverns - 2 hp a second, thus 12 hp per round.

Try moving from area to are whithin CLoakwood. Occasionally you'll get stopped by about 6 or so wyverns and some spiders AND you'll be surrounded. Ohhhh how fun!

6. Don't stow thrones in grass houses Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I always just cast Animate Dead when I know I'm going to fight Basilisks, with proper archery back-up those skellies last a long time (they can't be petrified).

I always got a lot of grief from Black Talon Elites because they would suddenly pop up somewhere and shoot Imoen to a pulp within seconds.
    Not to mention those Ashirukuru - damn.

And Greater Dopplegangers are a LOT to take for a low-level party.

7. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Wolves: man, are they annoying. They hit constantly and do too much damage for a 1st level character to handle.

I do understand, however, that they should be there. It emphasizes in how much trouble you are after Gorion is killed and why you should rush to the FAI. After getting some more allies, they're not a big threat.

Xvarts: I hate them with a passion. The disgusting noise they do when they die. Their AC that always seems to be like -25 or whatever. The fact that the majority of them carry no gold. Bah. Not to mention "EEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeEEEEEEE!!".

Sirines also are a pain, but I don't have much trouble fighting them if I have at least 2 good archers, someone with 2 or 3 slots of Dispel Magic and Minsc (with his berserker rage).

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I know the pain of wolves...my first game, very first try...ended by a wolf biting me once in my very first real battle outside of Candlekeep! :wail: It was almost not fair!

9. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Meeting a vampiric wolf on the way to the FAI with four level 1 characters really rubbed in the message that "everything is not there to be defeated - run, you fool"

10. starwalker Gems: 16/31

Sirines are my bane. Not so much because they are hard but they can be very frustrating when your not prepared for them or you accidently draw one when your fighting another so they charm your mage or somethingwith the dispel magics. Or worse yet. charm the fighter next to the mage and the fighter obliterates your mage.

And that's not a vampire in the grave that unleashes the Phoenix guards on you. he's like a mage or something like that that's hiding there and doesn't want you ruining it. he comes out when you click it like 2 or 3 times.

11. kin hell Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

True sudden monsters for low level party?
    Battle Horrors. Seemed to soak up everything I could dish out, and the total horror when you see them make a save against web and they're striding free, and you've nothing left and you've actually managed to trap a couple of your own party with your panicked casting.
    Bloody well named monsters

12. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Vampiric wolves are nice enough... when you don't even have a +1 weapon. :shake:

13. Von'Meyer Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Dire Wolves. In groups of three and higher equal sudden death, followed by a grumbling reload. Man, they hit hard. Lots if HP, decent damage for low level baddies. Get a random encounter of five dire wolves and your party is toast!

14. aih Gems: 1/31

heh i had a 6-man lvl 1 party and we met a ghast, we died all of us. Then after reloading I managed to somehow kill it after casting every single spell and using every single special ability and a few potions too. Then a few seconds later we promptly met a single vampiric wolf, we had to run to another map, rest, then travel back, else we would've been dead.

15. Medillen Gems: 1/31

sirene arent that difficult. Actually i usually do a "sirene hunt" at low level to quickly achieve to the mid levels.

Sirene hunt is very fun. It consist in putting your sound at its maximum and equip all your character with a bow or any ranged weapon.

Sirene always start with casting a spell. Whenever you heard somoene beginning a spell ( the max sound's helping a lot ^^ ) you pause. And attack. Spell interrupted. Attack. Next spell interrupted. Only after those two spells she began to attack. ( or three...can't remember) WIth three good bowers its pretty easy to hack sirens. I used to hunt those with kivan/Khalid and my ranger. They don't survive to start attacking normally.

My fear is more towards basiliks as I always forget to cast protection from petrification before encounting them.^-^

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

kobold commandos in respawn places like firewine bridge :bang:

17. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Yes the dreaded Kobold commandos with fire arrows are my all time hated enemy. They tend to sneak up on the group and let their volley of arros loose; at that point Minsc and myself or Khalid if he is in my group, tend to be the lone survivors.

18. starsaphire Gems: 1/31

I second (okay, I fourteenth) the nomination for Kobold Commandos as most obnoxious. The amount of damage they do relative to the amount of XP and treasure they are worth has got to be the lowest ratio in the game. Ugh!

- starsaphire

19. raptor Gems: 16/31

Just srarted playing through again for the first time in ages. And thus far I must say Bassilisk, I see one I run!. It should be mentioned that I am played a group with only a Ragner and a Ranger/cleric. So I have no character to cast protection from petrification :-/

20. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    ^ You may need to go purchase a couple of scrolls from a temple, methinks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.