1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is your occupation/job?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Abomination, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wouldn't you just hate to have "Sarbanes" as your surname? It wouldn't have been so bad if it had been a common surname like "Smith", but "Sarbanes" is so distinctive that you will forever be associated with the most overblown piece of business regulation ever.

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I've been cleared from the paint department, so I'm banging more metal into submission than ever. It's a great anger-relieving job, and I dig it, though I prefered painting.

*EDIT* Well, my incompetant replacement got fired, so I'm back in the paint department, which means less time to bang metal into submission. Bah.

[ November 13, 2006, 03:59: Message edited by: Disciple of The Watch ]

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I agree - SOX sux!!

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Well, I got a new job today. Working for a swim school over the summer break (and hopefully afterwards, as well). Starting this Wednesday!

5. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm a first year Honour's Mathematics student here at the University of Waterloo. I'm really not that sure which direction I want to go with this. We pick our majors next year, and there's a plethora of options open to me. I was originally intending to go with the Math Teaching Option, which would involve me doing a couple terms at Queens getting a Bachelor of Education, but the more I think about it, the more I doubt that I'll be happy doing something like that. Math is what I love doing, and I know that it will be heavily influencing my future, but in exactly what way, I'm not sure. But hey, I still have another four years after this before I worry about what I'm going to do with myself. :p

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Gah, I don't expect to see posts related to SOX on a gaming forum!! No more than I would want to posts related to GLBA! I understand the need to protect customer data, but sometimes these topics just flatout give me a headache. Usually I pop over to a site like sorcerers.net to sooth that headache. But this time they've followed me here! :eek:

7. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I work on IBM Mainframes and my skills include Analysis, Design, Programming, Systems Programming, Technical Programming and DBA

8. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

studieng archeology at the university of copenhagen

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Heh. Sarbanes-Oxley is one of the reasons why I will not take my company public.

For those of you that care about such things, the law also contributes to the growing gap between the rich and poor because the best-run companies won't go public anymore, leaving their founders to take even larger percentages of their income.

SOX doesn't make any improvements in corporate accountability either, so the whole thing is kind of moot.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sarbanes-Oxley will follow you everywhere! Just wait until Tal's next SP Happenings. You'll hear him gripe about how he has to document the BoM processes in order to become SOX compliant before the SOX auditors turn up to test the controls over Chevalier's news postings. Maybe YOUR posts will be selected for testing!

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :p

12. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I do two jobs in one, I'm an Optical Lab Technician (I make lenses and glasses) and I'm also at uni part time studying as a dispensing optician. Very rewarding job, and I get to work with people which is an added bonus. Uni is hard work, especially as I don't have a day off any more.

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I got fired this week. I don't feel bad, though. The work was less interesting than they told me it would be. They were looking for people with some social skills who take time for their customers. They got one, but it appeared that I never had the chance to show that, because they were often pushing me to do other things. Weird. It seemed that they were looking for skills that they won't let you use them.
    Anyway, there were too many people working there and so the people who work there via an exployment agency got the boot first, including me.

I don't mind, really, except that I won't get any money for a short time. I'm quite sure I will find a job soon.
    The agency offered me a job as a 'Jack of all Trades' at a cultural center (Theatre, library etc). I'll be some kind of buttler/clerk/host/barman sort of figure. Suits me fine, I guess.

14. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    bum/writer; will soonishly become a helldesk monkey. :evil:

15. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I now study music at Uni, and do very little in the way of work...

16. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

US Navy Engineer

Translation

I make water.

17. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Very lazy University student of political science (4th year from 5, lot's of writting before me)
    Also I work as a full time driver
    And also I'm a husband and soon to be daddy

During my limited free time I'm thinking about how to take over the world

18. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I am a Service Coordinator

I worked for the largest elevator company in the world for 6 years, dispatching, payroll, repair, accounts payable etc.

7 months ago I changed to HVAC, I am now lead Service Coordinator for a local HVAC company. The second highest paid trade in our province. I coordinate jobs from start to finish. The sales person sells it, I then order parts, coordinate their pick up or delivery to site, order/schedule cranes/lifts, schedule work with customer and helper, and close job to pass to billing. It is a demanding challenging job that keeps me on my toes. I do get to work with men mostly however :)

19. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Data Networks Engineer. Currently working for an ISP of Greece.
    My work is the wellfare and development of the network, in the networking department (routers, switches and everything that comes with it).

Loving every (ok most) moment in it. After all it was something i was really keen on doing for a work.

The only real hard part is the working hours (rotating shifts 24/7/365).

Planning on staying in this job as much as i can.

20. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, I'm not gonna gloss it over - I'm a fry cook. I cook up the chicken n' taters you grab at the deli while filling the cart with staples from my supermarket.

My store has gotten a reputation as the best place in town for wings, so the 'Wing Wednesday' special is very well-attended.

I can see being content at this and hanging on long enough to work up in the deli department for a more comfortable wage. I'll admit that this is due in part because I take pride in my work - I know what I'm doing and it satisfies me at a primal level to make something besides paperwork. I'm even immodest enough to say I'm just about the best cook they got (not the fastest, but if there's a special tray order to be done, it always seems to fall on my shift.) :D

Often enough, I'll buy a plate of what I cook for my meal break (hey, I *know* it's good). And it sure beats my previous 'career' in Customer Management (not 'service' because that would imply that we're supposed to help them :p )

Five years in two places as a 'helldesk monkey'...I was good, but it took a lot outta me to make the employer AND the client AND the customers happy, and my stomach didn't like it. :(

(Ara? here's the key - don't give a whit about the people on the other end of the phone, and you'll excel at it - ask my few remaining friends still working in the field - they're trainers or supervisors :) )

And, just to continue this unsettling trend that's showing up, before that I had a couple of contracting jobs as a bookkeeper; A/R, A/P, payroll - the whole schmeer. I've always looked upon accounting as a nice, orderly field of work and if'n I'd been able to focus better in my uni days, maybe I'd have gone that route...
    :bad:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.