1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is your occupation/job?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Abomination, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I'm a student as well. I've got 4 classes left before I get my honors BA in History and, to make things complicated, I am also on my 1st year in the College of Education.

2. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Student, Political Science. Currently working on my diploma (finally).

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

My title is Senior Software Engineer. Developer or simply computer programmer will do. I've been a professional programmer for 16 years. I primarily write software engines (lots of algorithm work). Currently using Java.

It is interesting work and I am rarely bored. The pay is very good and the company that I work for is solid and good to their employees.

All in all, a good gig. Thankful to have it. :)

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Carcaroth - Probably not matey. I don't have any health and safety qualifications, which I sure you'd have to have for a job like that. I'm looking to get into IT, as that's where most my knowledge is (to an extent). But again, the only qualification I have in that area isn't the equivilent to a very high NVQ, so I'm a bit trapped at mo! I can't really do much study as I have outgoings and can't afford to leave full time employment. Catch 22!

5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I work in a body shop (the garage kind) as painter/metalworker.

My job is to fix accidented cars, either by using the tools I have at my disposition to give back a part it's original shape, or if it's too badly damaged, build another one from scratch. In some other cases, the new part must be built out of fiberglass... which is VERY NASTY work.

The other part of my job is preparing the repaired body for paint. This includes Bondo, to smoothen out the traces left by metalwork, which is sanded once it has dried. After sanding the Bondo, the body is ready for a couple coats o' primer, which might be colored, or not, depending on the color the customer requests. Then comes paint, which is usually comprised of a few layers of candy paint (transparent), followed by a few coats of regular paint, and if needed, some ice pearl crystals of the same color. Once this is done, everything is sealed up under a few coats of clear.

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Today I had an other sollicitation. Monday I start as a salesperson in a Hardware Megastore. :)

7. Gawain Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I am an insurance claim adjuster. I deal primarily with attorney-represented claimants who were injured in a car accident.

I investigate the accident, interviewing the parties involved, then evaluate the claim and negotiate a settlement.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Paid by whom? Are you an independent advisor / broker, or do you represent certain companies who then pay you commission when you recommend their products?

9. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'm a first year biology student. Do I enjoy it? Oh yes. It's orgasmic. It's a rollercoaster of love.

It's life, universe and everything and thanks for all the fish. Douglas Adams was an environmentalist by the by. Last chance to see, anyone?

I think that something's definitely wrong with the organism if biology isn't the most entertaining thing life has to offer.

And all those microbes? It's a love affair. I'm in love with biology, seriously. :banana:

Sure some lecturers try to make their lectures as boring as possible, but with a subject so interesting, spanning so much of everything, where everything's connected to everything else, their efforts of dulling me out of my mind haven't succeeded, as of yet.

I can't wait to seriously do some microscopying, I'm anxious of starting a career as a lab-rat. I'm happy as a fat cat, gorging information and data as much as I can :yum:

10. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Full time bachelor-student with Technical Informatica as my major. Which means programming in.... C#, because C(++) and Assembler are so like last century. :rolleyes:
    The education is all project related, every semester one of the teachers plays the client who is looking for a tech-related solution and then I and some buddies design and develop the computersystem that he needs.

Sometimes it's pretty tedious (especially the classes) since the teachers keep showing me stuff I learned years ago, keep forcing me to use real editors to write my code while I keep using emacs (which is apparently an editor for simple people, huh?) and keep running around like headless chickens because they know as much about the projects as the students do.

Currently I am in a course in which we work with C# for real-time systems - yeah I know it's like using Visual Basic to program satellites :rolleyes: . The course is quite new and replaced a security-related course on request of the industry, because the industry isn't looking for programmers that know anything about security, seriously :lol: security-schmurity.

Parttime, I work as a webdeveloper (yeah I got hired! Kevin FTW!!) and so far, having only worked one day, I find it quite enjoyable. I've been managing the code behind a big website, which is completely written in PHP *yuck*, mainly it's hunting for bugs and adding new features on request of the client.

11. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Highschool student here. I'm starting to look at colleges, but am also realizing that I don't want to be an engineer anymore. I'm good at math and science, but there are times when it just doesn't make any sense and nothing my teachers do can make it work in my brain. Plus, I've never really done alot of stuff like other kids my age involving taking apart things and putting them back together...

I really want to be a writer. A creative writer, writing fantasy. That is a true passion, and I don't think I'm all that bad. I'm not great, but there more I read and write, the better my stuff sounds. (Not to ice my own cake, or anything). I really want to get into writing as a career, methinks.

12. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I am in the military and have been for almost 17 years.

I worked emergency services for the first 6 years (Firefighter and Emergency Medical Technician). I worked structural (buildings), crash (aircraft) and wildland firefighting.

I retrained into the communications field in '95. I have worked with printers, PCs, servers, switches, routers, firewalls, cabling, etc..... For the last several years I have been the Noncommisioned Officer In-Charge (NCOIC) of several different comm shops at several different bases. I basically oversee all the work done and ensure it is completed properly in an efficient manner.

I am also a student working to complete my Bachelors degree in General Education. I want to teach Grade school (prefereably 4th -6th) after I retire from the military.

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Controller (chartered accountant) for a Canadian real estate company, but focusing more on U.S. investments.

I'd explain the ins and outs of the business to you, but then I'd have to kill you.

:p

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'll do it then. Ins are credits and outs are debits. Unless they're assets on the balance sheet, then ins are debits and outs are credits.

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    /me kills Harbourboy.

Your spamming days are over, pretty boy. (Or maybe ugly boy. But since you're an accountant, I'll go with "incredibly handsome boy", since that would be the obvious default. :D )

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well...that's the fanciest way of telling someone that you flip burgers at a crummy fast food joint. :shake: :rolling:

17. Harbourboy

Yes, all accountants look like Splunge. It's true.

18. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I'm semi-independant. I am paid by the company whose product I sell at that particular time. They all pretty much pay the exact same as each other yet the rule of thumb is 'the more the client pays, the more you get paid' since the company pays you 75% of the first 2 years of the client's premium in advance (considering how some people pay $2000 a year on their insurance you can picture how much money one can make) yet if the client defaults or cancells the policy before the first two years are up you have to pay back the difference.

So the various financial institutions (eg. AXA, Tower, Soverign, Fidelity, ING, Asteron etc.) pay me when I sell their product. Best to work with multiple companies since I can find the best deals for my clients rather than just selling the same product. At the moment Fidelity have the best prices and options on life insurance and income protection so I've been selling alot of those recently.

However it's very different with investment opportunities, in those cases I'm paid by the client via a % of their regular investments (say they pay $100 a month I can get maybe $5 every month) and a smaller percentage of the total funds under management every year (usually about 0.5%). However the investment schemes I set the client up with almost always earn them much more than all the costs associated (8-9% after tax and fees on average).

19. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Just to get the records straight I'm adding a few here.

I've also been a theology student. I came into my senses and quit. Started reading biology.

I've had breaf work relations, but not careers as such. The longest I've worked was fundraising via telephone for one of the worlds biggest good-will organizations and before that in a place for young people who want to go cold turkey, which is a sort of rehab center, but only for so long thta they'd get the stuff out of their system and their act a little more together and after that they could continue their treatment in some other rehab-place we'd look for them.

Then I've had these short work relations in cleaning, oil-industry place specialized in waste-oil, steel industry place specialized in the end-products - mainly cruising ship paraphenalia, and a telemarketer selling books about war to elderly people, which was immoral and despicable so I quit.

Umm, then there has been some other oddjobs but those are mainly the ones worth mentioning.

[ September 28, 2006, 06:45: Message edited by: Iku-Turso ]

20. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I'm one of those friendly tech support guys who tell you to shut up, reboot your printer and your PC, and RTFM before interrupting again my plans to take over the world. :evil:

And Dogbert is my god.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.