1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is wrong with the world today?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ziad, May 15, 2008.

1. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Um, I'm about 320 lbs. I think I'm the bigggest Redneck here...

So yes, I'm the Big, Redneck Mormon Metalhead with some really wierd tasted in Entertainment...

Okay, but is it possible that people behave differently in crowded urban settings than in less densely populated Rural areas?

2. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i think i broke something trying to wrap my brain around the concept of a "redneck mormon metalhead":toofar:

:yot:
    oh i didn't mean physically i think chev's like almost a foot taller than me. i'm only 5'10" & 240-245, it's scary i look alot like the bald headed portrait available in bg1 & 2 but my head is nowhere as tall(but dont all bald white guys with facial fur look alike) well plus the tats of course.

BTW, hows the back?

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] How's the topic, it seemed to be around here, but got lost in the chatter? martaug, for chat like that, you've got profile visitor messages and/or PM. Please use them and keep off-topic discussion out of the threads.

4. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Just some updates on the New Zealand side of the crappy world:

1) A teenager who last year drove his car through a crowd of people leaving a party (killing two, wounding several) is finally considered "guilty". His defence lawyer was arguing on basis of "panic". This is from yesterday's headlines.
    2) An economics tutor at Otago University (down south, big university) was recently found stabbing his girlfriend to death. The girl has been stabbed 216 times and suffered seven heavy blunt attacks (yesterday's headlines).
    3) The father of two twin babies, thought very likely to have killed them, was found not guilty.
    4) Recently, the youngest killer in NZ was released on parole. He was aged 13 when he bashed a pizza delivery guy's head in with a pipe.
    5) Last month, teenage girl Marie disappeared. Posters were up all over the city. She was later found in the Waimak River (biggest river around here), dead. They found the killer. I'm not sure if she was raped.
    6) A young African girl, aged 8 IIRC, died of AIDS last year. It is uncertain if her stepfather had raped her, recently he was found not guilty.

For some of these cases, especially the first one, it's ridiculous how there was even a trial to begin with. The guy's a murderer, so lock him away.

What's wrong with the world today? You tell me.

5. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Deathmage: Anyone who's ever been wrongfully accused convicted of an offense can tell you exactly why fair trials are necessary. Not only do we not always get the right guy, but when we get the wrong one, the right guy gets away with it.

6. Gnarfflinger

Sometimes I wonder if the people that are doing the "bad things" are out to top the bad things done before they came around. Was 9/11 about the damage it could do or the fact that Terrorists were trying to make a bigger attack than had ever been done before?

AS for the guilty getting off, Shakespeare suggested killing the lawyers.

I'm going to hide now from the lawyers here...

7. Drew

Media:
    Hiroshima. Nagasaki.

8. Gnarfflinger

Right. Okay, biggest, most damaging without nukes?

9. Drew

Media:
    Well, actually, they do want nukes. My larger point was that the largest terror attack ever perpetrated was launched by none other than the USA. We dropped our nukes directly on innocent civilians who served no tactical value. Using the modern definition of terrorism (an attack on innocent civilians in order to instill fear and accomplish a political objective), Hiroshima and Nagasaki certainly qualify as terror attacks.

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Irrelevant insofar as your assertion goes.

Nukes were the most damaging, and assuming the 9/11 terrorists have some awareness of significant prior events, to outdo it would have to involve something even more destructive. They chose a different approach.

11. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

OK, how about this -- their biggest and most flamboyent attack FOR THEM to date? I think Gnarff was saying that this particular group of terrorists had never pulled off an operation of that magnitude before. Also, these people were not representatives of a government -- if we want to open up the field of terrorist attacks to government operations, that's a whole 'nuther kettle of fish (which is not to say that I necessarily disagree with Drew's logic on the nuke attacks on Japan.)

Oh, and as an addendum, I'm a big fan of talks and negotiating. There comes a time, however, that you have to draw a line and say enough is enough. Seeing the other fellows viewpoint is always good, but constantly using that empathy to make excuses for their heinous behaviour is another. We need to start saying to criminals, terrorists and other such filth "No more! We will not sit back and wring our hands and let you brutalize innocents while we try to use your lousy home life to justify your evil."

12. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

There are just more people today than in the past and we have 24/7 media covering everything. There was sick stuff going on in ancient Mesopotamia, I'm certain, but all we've got is a few stone tablets detailing bread recipes from them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.