1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is the meaning of your names?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Igneous, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Mierin? Hmm...Mierin.

I guess I'm not a real fantasy reader. And I've read over 450 fantasy novels. (Some better than others. Maybe I just don't remember.)

So, please! Enlighten me!

Oh, and Taluntain...one of the cheat codes for BG2 allows you to get a dagger called the Dagger of Taluntain. I'm not kidding. And don't yell at me for using cheats! I only used them once I beat the game, and only with the character that I exported from my last save game. Believe me, after using them, cheat codes make the game suck.

2. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Capt. Tripps is also the name of an engineered superflu that wipes out most of the country's population in Stephen King's The Stand. A really nasty thing too!

Myself- I've always preferred androgynous names for my PCs and most times they start with D. :D Noella is a family name.

YEAH!! Love that Spider!

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited April 05, 2001).]

3. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well, "Vile" just happened to be the first name I ever used for a VERY LONG campaign. It just kind of stuck. I played a bounty-hunter with an attitude. I only use that name online nowadays to hide my secret identity. MWAHAHA!

4. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

well, i'm sorta fat, and my body used to be shaped like an egg, i'm getting in shape though, so its kinda losing its meaning, sad really...

5. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Mierin is Lanfear's real name from Robert Jordan's wheel of time series.

6. Vandalore Gems: 7/31

My name was chosen in allegiance to another, it translates to "fell among the blades". It was given to me in honor of my father, whom I would willingly give my life for without a second thought or regret.

In such, my character lives a much darker story along with a romantic twist. The girl who is most important to him, who he would do anything for, all of a sudden left his life .. for no aparent reason. Leaving him to an eternity of sadness, living only to accept that which he has lost. A few years later, his father passed away.. the only other person in his life who was important to him. He lived the rest of his life in a drunken drug-induced stupor to fill what he had lost, dwelling on that which he could not change. Five years later, he passed away. Shortly after, a small funeral was held in his defeat. At the funeral, only one showed up to mend his open wound .. five years too late. It was the girl that he loved so dear. Regardless of the poor attendence, she stayed to morn what little she had lost. After the ceremony, she found a note entitled to her. It was song he left expressing his feelings built up over all these years, he never had another chance to tell her how much he cared before she left. Only then she realized what had happened the day she disappeared. Now he lay a shell-less soul grown cold over the years. He had died the day she left.

My life lived for another, suffering the same fate as he once did.. trying to accept what I can not change. Now I must steer through life without my copilot I came to love so well. To die happy, only to find that at one point in my life I once knew the coolest person that one could ever meet.

[This message has been edited by Vandalore (edited April 05, 2001).]

7. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I already felt ashamed when I heard this was spoken about a while ago, but you guys are nice enough to reply again, the people on these boards must be really nice and patient. Never thought there were such nice stories behind all those names. :)

And, Fat Egg, don't worry about you're name when you're in shape, maybe taluntain will be nice enough to move you're number of posts to a new name, like 'the slim shady' or something (but you must stop posting to keep your avatar like this :D )

8. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31

Gandalf, Mithrandir, Olorin, of the Council of the Wise.

Smoke rings, anyone?

[This message has been edited by The Wise, The Grey (edited April 05, 2001).]

9. Shura Gems: 25/31

Head up, vandalore. Come walk the fiery path of Meifumado(Buddhist Hell) with me. All sorrow will be burnt in the flames of slaughter and carnage and damnation will be the reward received with a maniacal grin for those who walk this path.

10. hooligan_inc Guest

I am Hooligan_inc

Hooligan Incorparated. You want an old lady coshed, there is no low to which we will not stoop.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Sapiryl, how'd you manage that?
    The Dagger of "insert name here" is based on the mage stronghold...
    Your apprentices make it and name it after you, so it will always have the name of your main character.
    So unless you played a game with your main char named Taluntain, I don't think you could get one.

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Awww... Isn't that sweet Tal? Sapiryl playing with a character named after you!

13. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

*ahem* no, I did not play with Taluntain's name, I played with mine: Sapiryl.

I figured that Taluntain must have been an ancient figure in the Forgotten Realms history, so I have not questioned it until now. I have never had a dagger made specifically for me, so I wouldn't know how. I found that specific cheat code on this site, so who knows?

->Mieren, now I remember. It's been about three years since I read a Jordon book, so it would figure that I'd forget.

14. Silver Dragon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I like the colour Silver and Dragons are cool.

15. Shura Gems: 25/31

There was a mage named Taluntain in BG1 selling archmage robes.

16. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

that wasn't taluntain shura, that was thalantyr mighty mage of beregost, and my new favorite d&d character

17. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I haven't seen Sir Bellesaius post in a while, but I'd swear he took his name from the production company of JAG (on CBS).

I guess it is fitting for a mighty paladin to get his name from a family friendly TV show! I wonder if his next character will be PAX the slayer?

18. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Yes - I named myself after a powerful production corporation for American TV! After all, we brought you Quantum Leap!

But Seriously - I am a huge fan of ancient military history, and Belisarius happens to be my favorite name from the Byzantine Empire. IMHO, General Belisarius is the epitome of duty, loyalty, and honor. He re-took (liberated?) North Africa from the Vandals, and successfully drove the Goths from Rome and most of Italy with an expeditionary force sent by Emperor Justinian.

His victories brought the former glory of the Roman Empire back to life...If only for a brief time - Re-uniting East and West. Having gained such fame, power, and wealth, Belisarius could have challenged Justinian for control of the entire Empire. Instead, he remained loyal to his emperor.

I've always thought that was pretty impressive. I often wonder what I would have done in a similar situation...What would you have done?

As it is, I thought it was a fitting name for a paladin. This was the name I first used when I played D&D - many moons ago!

~Belisarius

19. Seric Exz Guest

Cannot be frozen, but can be melted. Trying to restore a soul that has been lost for what seems like an eternity.
    This is what this name means to its bearer...

20. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Bel;

Don't think I was ripping on you. I had read the "legit" meaning of your name on an old post right before watching a JAG rerun. When "BELESARIUS" came up, I almost fell off the couch laughing (giving my wife more reason to think that I'm a lunatic).

My name is from Koine Greek (used from approx. 3 BC - 20 AD) and means student or disciple. It has a personal/religious meaning for me, and it also fits my paladin character.

Besides, Galahad was taken.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.