1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is the limit of western freedom of expresion?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Liriodelagua, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I agree with you, that he media are indeed needed in a democratic society. And the less limitation exists on what the media can actually present as information to the public, the more democratic that society can be perceived.

Again i say the problem does not lie with the principles or the various manifestations of these principles (media, courts, parliament etc).
    The problem begins when the people that populate these manifestations forget the purpose they serve. And then the misuse of these principles makes the principle problematic. Well the principle is not problematic at theory or at the very beginning. Somehow it was corrupted and that corruption occured on the people who serve that principle. So the people are the ones who must be controlled.

Truth is that in our days media have gained so much power over the peoples decisions that the misuse of that power is becoming more and more dangerous. And the fact is that the misuse of this power becomes more and more frequent.

Taking example from the media of my coutry, i have witnessed many times the twisting of the same news, to fit the purposes of the reporter, depending on the channel, the newspaper he/she works with.

Worst yet, despite the fact that they know they have that kind of power, they always present the info (news) with a comment and remarks of their own. Which remarks are always stratigically placed to blend in the news and make them look as if they are the news. This is biased information and a grand show of poorly expressed journalism. The people who have a sharp and awake mind can tell the difference, filtering the biased comments out (or accepting them according to what one thinks), but most people just absorb the info, no filtering, not a minutes thought spent over that.

That is what i don't like, and i know it won't change. Unless somehow these guys feel that they are always checked by a neutral mechanism that can strip their power off when they show continuous signs of misuse.

As for politicians
    To get elected has become a very expensive and difficult process. Political parties are becoming the only way to compete that cost, unless you are a billionaire. But to join a political party usually one has to sacrifice his personal beliefs and ethics many times over, and from a point afterwards he no longer follows his own ethics and beliefs since they no longer feel like his own.

That has led to a continuous promotion of a standard set of beliefs and politics, which is expressed by political parties. If one tries to go alone to this arena he will "die" first, since the big players will just hit him first before they cross their swords.

Furthermore i see that in parties the personal magnetism and capabilities of a person are no longer valued as they used too. More and more ordinary to pathetic people tend to turn to politics, where somehow they manage to prevail (that is something i fail to understand so far). Maybe here where politics are too polarised and one can participate actively in a party from the moment he enters University, things show that way.

But speaking from the point of view i live in, usually the people who actively participate in the political parties are the ones who otherwise would not manage to do anything good with their life. Too stiff to move around the various obstacles of life, too narrow minded to grasp the bigger picture. And of course their capabilities drags the level of my countrys political scene to their level.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.