1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is so "wild" about a wild mage?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Morale failure happens when someone else dies or someone keeps falling below a certain % oi HP. If you haven't noticed it you probably like reloading or playing characters with good charisma. The effect is very noticeable if, for some reason, you decide to play a character with low charisma.

All my PCs have good charisma (dump stats are for the lazy) and the only time an NPC ever went crazy was when a chaotic neutral Anomen attacked Aerie. The rest of the time people just throw insults at each other, and I often leave the game running to force interactions/dialogue. I'm not sure if charisma has anything to do with this, but after more than a decade of playing BG2 you'd think someone else would have been attacked by now.

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Or we don't suck at D&D. :p

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I typically don't let NPCs die. I also don't play at harder difficulties, if that matters.

CHA is typically not a stat of any importance to me, but with the rerolling of stats there's no need for it to be very low, either.

4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    What level would you change a thief to a wild mage? It's possible only in EE keeper and you have to start as a vanilla thief. No kit. Then when you dual to a mage you can set your kit as wild mage. When would you do it?

What about a Wizard Slayer to a Mage? Or a Shadowdancer to mage?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  5. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually, for my latest playthrough of BG:EE + BG2:EE i decidet to make a multiclassed thief/mage and changed the mage to wild mage - you just need to add the nahal's reckless dweomer and chaos shield spells to his known spells list manually.

going multiclass instead of dualclassing means i still get access to thief HLA's in BG2, and as far as the mage part, though it will progress slower, i should still be able to hit a level where i'm able to cast lvl 9 spells.

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Multi for a mage is a bit unfortunate, I think, because you'll only get something like two lvl 9 spell slots.

As for dualling from a thief to a mage, I'd say to get the thief skills you want to be able to use to a useful level, then dual. Not too high, because it'll just take longer to reactivate your thief skills. If you wait till (early) BG2, keep some scrolls with you and boot everybody out of the party when you dual, then transcribe the scrolls so you get all the xp from the scrolls. In BG1 it's not worth it, unless you get substantially more xp in the EE than in the original.

Wizard slayer I wouldn't dual into a mage, it has way too many limitations. You could dual a wizard slayer to a thief, at least the Use Any Item HLA would remove all of the limitations it has.

I don't know the shadow dancer class (or is it a thief kit?), so can't comment on that.

7. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yes the Shadowdancer is a Thief kit. It's not bad if you don't mind giving up the ability to set traps. I must say that I am reluctant to play one because of that drawback. I LOVE the HLA traps. They are great for prepping a battle :tobattle:

8. henkie

Media:
    I wonder if that is actually affected. Normally HLAs override pretty much anything. Unless they changed it in the EEs, of course.

9. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Yes unfortunately the blade can only set the HLA traps. Not sure why. (s)he shouldn't get ANY traps. HLA or not. (s)he has spells instead :)

10. henkie

Media:
    I think the HLA traps are considered spells or some such, at least as far as the engine is concerned. It's indeed odd that bards would also get the HLA traps.

But that makes it more plausible that the shadow dancer kit should still have the normal thief HLAs.

11. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    All traps are considered spells. HLAs are poorly designed in general and they're handled by separate ability tables from class abilities.

If you want things to make more sense, you need to install the Rogue Rebalancing mod, although I'm not entirely sure how compatible it is with EEs.

12. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, you don't end up with too many lvl 9 spells, but it's mainly for a fun playthrough - i'll still get to abuse some cheese like mislead + backstabbing, and using scrolls and other single charge items with project image clones so they don't run out, as well as using my images + spell trap to replenish my own memorized spells :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.