1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is a good paying job?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Marceror, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And that's the thing that always makes me chuckle when taxation is talked about in general: "Yeah, 'we' need more taxes for reason X... as long as 'we' doesn't include me." :lol: Tax the filthy rich. Tax the filthy smokers and drinkers. Tax the filthy SUV drivers. Tax the filthy X because they are not me and they're filthy. :)

Gaear likes this.
  2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    That's not really true. I hear people say different things about taxes and the value they feel they are getting for them; it varies according to the personal agenda. Btw, Mrs. Chandos has an SUV, I've never heard anyone say she should pay more for taxes on it. That's a new one. However, I have heard people say that about Hummers, because they are such hogs, but they don't make them anymore, at least I don't think. But I could be wrong.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    OK then if not filthy SUV drivers, how about those filthy EV drivers :lol:

And sorry for keeping this thread somewhat off topic. :)

4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

You know, I wonder if it wouldn't be simpler to just say "We need to return to the Clinton era tax rates." At least most people remember what life was like then.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Hillary ran with that as part of her platform. She also pointed out how the economy was pretty good throughout much of Bill's presidency.

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This seems like the right assessment. In the US, at least, the top 10% are obviously doing better than most, but likely have rather limited financial independance. The top 5% is the group where the more extravagant lifestyles commonly associated with being "rich" are going to be seen. The top 1% would be the "filthy rich" for whom money really is not an object.

7. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    A minimum six figure salary. And no, I don't have a good paying job. Yet.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    When I was in high school I worked at McDonald's for minimum wage and thought that was a good paying job. Every job I've had since then I've gotten higher and higher pay yet I don't believe I have a good paying job.

And no, six figures is not necessarily a good paying job.

9. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    It depends on the first digit.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  10. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'd say it depends more on the currency :D . Care to estimate how much an annual wage of 2,000,000 RSD is in US dollars?

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 36 seconds later... ----------

I think it bears mentioning, although of course it could be sold a bit better. For all the talk about how great low taxes are, iirc by pretty much any indicator the 90s were better than the 00s.

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Depends on where you reside. Six figures is mid-low income in some suburban areas. Out here in Rockford six figures is rather decent money as there is a high unemployemnt rate in the Rockford region.

Milk, gas, bread, etc.. are pretty much in the same price range no matter where you live as opposed to the price of real estate in Compton compared to Beverley Hills.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I agree - my first job was as a sales clerk for JC Penneys. And yes, it was minimum wage, which at the time, was (IIRC) $3.25 per hour. Even though I made less than $100 per week, I had more money than I could spend.

Even though every job since has paid more than the last one, I've never been able to get to the "more than I can spend" level ever since... Although I guess the wife and kid are a factor there.

Given your age, and the rate of inflation, eventually earning 6-figures seems to be a foregone conclusion. Even tough my current salary is more than double what it was 10 years ago, I don't feel like I am earning that much more now (in terms of disposable income).

13. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    An area where a six figure (USD) income is on the lower side of the income scale must be a VERY rich area where most everyone is a millionaire, or better.

Keep in mind that "6 figures" represents anyone who earns $100,000 - $999,999 annually. That's quite a big spread. Anyone who earns 6 figures (USD) is doing WAAAY better than most, but the lifestyles of those on the upper end of that scale are dramatically different than those on the lower end.

And this is really starting to get into what prompted me to start this thread to begin with. I'm on the lower end of that scale, and feel that what I make is sufficient (all bills paid, needs met, and then some). That said, many at my level, I know, make plenty more than I do. I happen to fill a very critical role for my company, and if I left I believe it would hurt them greatly (and more importantly, my management has all but stated directly that they also believe this). It's not that I'm the only one who can do this job, but several of my predecessors have quit because they found the role overwhelming, and things were an absolute mess before I came on. I've been the one guy who not only stuck it out, but have, in the words of my boss "transformed the single most worrisome part of the company into the one area that he doesn't have to worry about." I have also played a key role in some highly successful sales initiatives. I'm not in sales, but I often have to support sales process at my company and have established a lot of credibility with our clients and helped set them at ease to spend big money on our technology. I think the fact that I'm not a salesman, and I don't try to "sell" anyone on anything is the whole key to that. Finding someone to replace my particular set of abilities/capabilities, I believe, would not be an easy task.

I share all this not come across as a braggart (or as one forum poster once called me, a "blowhard") but to paint a picture that if I asked for a bump in pay I'd be pretty certain to get it, as long as I didn't ask for anything unreasonable. But since I'm comfortable with what I earn, I don't feel the need to do this.

Hence, "what is a good paying job" and am I being stupid for not asking for what I could almost surely get or... would I be greedy for asking for more than I technically need?

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    As long as your demands were not unreasonable, I wouldn't view it as greedy - I'd view it as fair. If you are worth more than you are currently making, then it's not greedy to ask for a salary commensurate with your ability. For example, if you asked for a 5%-10% increase in salary, that would be reasonable. Asking for a 50% boost wouldn't be.

However, it would also seem to be a situation where your company needs you almost as much as you need the company. While it would be very hard to replace you, the value you represent to your current company may be greater than the value you represent to a competitors company. Presumably, if you went somewhere else, you wouldn't have all the background experience you get from working at the same place for an extended period of time. There is a set of "legacy knowledge" at any job that you cannot get other than by working there.

That's why I say you have to be reasonable. If you are making $100K, and are worth $120K, it's certainly not unreasonable to ask for $110K. But just because you are worth $120K to your current company does not necessarily mean you are worth $120K to a competitor's company.

15. Marceror

Media:
    Very true. They say the proof is in the pudding. Lots of guys (and gals) have solid resumes, but nothing speaks louder than tangible, quantifiable results. I have established those in my current role, which puts me in a very good place.

While this experience certainly is valuable on a resume, should I leave this company I'm largely just another guy making bold claims about his capabilities that a (smart) prospective employer will have to take with a grain of salt. This isn't nearly as strong of a bargaining position to be in as when you can look your employer in the eye and list accomplishments that he knows as well as you actually happened, and are not generous embellishments of the truth.

"See all this 'magic' I did? Would you like more of it, sir?"

vs.

"So you say you were a 'key player' in launching clients x, y, and z? Okay, so do you really mean that the business-critical coffee pot, which helped supply energy to the sales team that did the actual work, was kept warm and ready exclusively by you? Ah yes, key player indeed!" :lol:

16. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I know dude. That is why I said Mid-low, not just low. Around Philly and in South Jersey, there are several areas where 100K is nothing. I am sure that is the case of particular suburbs in every major metropolitan area in the states. The wife and I will hit around 130K this year. We are comfortable and not "struggling " per se, but we are far from rich and still have to watch to maintain our bills. Our basic bills, not including extras like clothes shoppoing, etc.. are around 5.5k a month. Around two-third sof which is student loans/mortage payment.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Holy crap! You either have a really big mortgage or really big student loan payments. My wife and I finished off our student loans about a year ago, and not coincidentally we are now looking at upgrading our house.

18. Blades of Vanatar

Technically my mortgage is small, but we make a double payment every month(if possible, usualy is). I will own my house quickly and cutoff alot of back-end interest doing so. Our Student Loans are over 1500 a month, all of which belongs to my wife. She has a Masters(Biology)and a PHD(Physical Therapy). And didn't pay squat for it up front, signing some high interest loans. Luckily she gets PAID or we would be in deep. In 10 yers or so we should be set.

19. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Currently, I'm WAY underpaid, and having to live with it since the local job market is abysmal. I'm in the bottom 50% of US wage earners, and would not be able live on my own. Were is not for the fact that's it's pretty needed, I would not even have a 'net connection at home.
    A good salary for what I do in my area would be about $2-50k US, I'm currently making 16k.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.