1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What game are you playing right now? #3

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Splunge, Oct 1, 2013.

1. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Started a game of StarCrawlers, which was mentioned as being like Legend of Grimrock, but in space, which is a pretty good recommendation in my book. The movement in the dungeons is indeed like Legend of Grimrock, moving a team in first person perspective through a dungeon, moving as if on a grid of squares.

The similarities stop there, though. In between instances of dungeons, you return to a hub, where you can buy and sell stuff, and recruit new team members. The dungeons itself are apparently randomly generated, except for some more plot related dungeons. Combat is the biggest difference, though. Instead of moving manually around an enemy, trying to avoid getting hit too much by moving around, you enter some combat dimension and slug it out with one or more enemies in turn based combat.

There are special abilities that you can select at level ups that can help you in the combat, either by doing more damage yourself, or disabling or putting negative status effects on enemies. Normally, I tend to enjoy turn based combat, but here it just seems like a slugfest, taking turns hitting each other and the one with the most hit points, or the one doing the most damage wins. Individual battles are not much of a problem, but healing is fairly limited, and it just tends to grind you down. Especially fun are the boss battles at the end of a dungeon, where you're already low on hitpoints and items, and then you have to fight the toughest enemy in the dungeon.

I got a bit tired of that, so I started up another game of Legend of Grimrock 2, which was at least the gameplay that I like. I tried a bunch of different builds this time around (previous run through I posted here), but ended up playing pretty much the same party this time around.

Last time I played with a minotaur barbarian, who did a lot of damage, a ratling farmer, who got so much more experience through eating than the rest did through combat, that he had 4x more experience than the others. Then there was the alchemist lizardman to make the most use of stat boosting potions, and a battle mage insectoid, that just flung spells from the back. I tried to take a fighter or knight instead of the barbarian, but the barbarian was just doing so much more damage than them, I couldn't bring myself to not have one in my party. I also tried to not have a farmer, but felt like I was just wasting a good xp resource that way, with all the excess food in the game. The alchemist had been using bows, so I thought I'd try a thief with throwing weapons, but throwing weapons are strength based, and the one with the most strength would be a minotaur barbarian, because they just do so much more damage.

In the end, I just changed the battle mage for a normal mage, which is the way I used the character in my previous run, anyway.

Even playing more or less the same party, the game still has been fun for me. The base game is just pretty satisfying to play, finding secrets, dancing around enemies, finding better gear for my guys (or galls, hard to tell with a minotaur, ratling, lizardman, and insectoid).

I heard that lvl 19 was a soft cap for the game, and that lvl 20 was the hard cap, so I tried to test that with my farmer. As it turns out, lvl 20 is just as much a soft cap as lvl 19. It just takes a lot of xp to get to lvl 20, and even more to get to lvl 21. So now my farmer has about 3x more xp than the rest of the party combined, possibly pretty close to 4x, even. Oh well, time to have some fun in the last couple of dungeons of the game :)

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    If you like Legend of Grimrock, have you tried it's ancestor (and the creators outright said they were trying to re-create the feel of this) Dungeon Master?
    Dungeon Master is probably my favorite cRPG of all time. The graphics are a bit dated, but still passable even today. I've seen worse flash games.
    The CSBWin clone will work on any Windows computer from Win95 onward.

4. henkie

Media:
    I hadn't heard of Dungeon Master, but I did look at Eye of the Beholder (series) and Menzobarazan when they were on sale recently on GoG. I'd probably enjoy those games, but didn't get them as I already have an enormous backlog of games that I still should play.

Which is not getting shorter when I'm just replaying older games, but oh well.

One thing that would probably be hard to match in those older games, however, is the sound and character design in Legend of Grimrock. It's really quite pretty, and the sounds are well done, too.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    I'm most familiar with the Apple IIGS version, but the version mentioned at that link is different from mine. Mine you booted the disk and had to use a separate save game disk. Stupidly you could only save one game per 3.5" disk even though it only filled up a fraction of the disk (no more than 50K on an 800K disk. You could have fit 2-3 games on each side of a 140K 5.25" disk).

Legend of Grimrock was created by fans of Dungeon Master and was originally going to be a clone. Then they made it into
    a spiritual successor to it that could be sold. They wanted to try to recreate the fun of DM on modern systems. Of course the sound of the original can't compete, it is 30 years old. Technology has progressed considerably. Although computer sound hasn't improved that much since the late '90s, there was substantial improvement from the late '80s to mid '90s. What was amazing in 1986 was crap in 1996, and what was amazing in 1988 was average in 1993 or below average in 1998. The sound in DM is limited, but well done. The IIGS version used stereo sound to give you warning of monster movement, something revolutionary at the time (but standard for the yet-to-be-invented FPS).

Anyways, all versions & clones of DM can be found on http://dmweb.free.fr

6. henkie

Media:
    I may have to take a look at it.

Sorcerer's Place is an independent project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of time and money on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!