1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What game are you playing right now? #2

Discussion in 'Playground' started by The Magister, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm hoping that along with you Rags, but I'm not expecting Deus Ex 3 to be as good as the original. I'm still playing that game, actually. I'm currently sneaking out of the prison complex beneath UNATCO HQ, enjoying some stealthy gameplay.

Playing this game reminded me of what a good game is actually like, and how long it's been since I played a game with such good gameplay and a good story. Sure, I've played plenty of games that I genuinely enjoyed, but very few indeed that managed to combine great gameplay and story so well.

Btw, Rags, did you finish Crysis yet? And what did you think of it?

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    My favourite tactic in Deus Ex is collecting explosive boxes and barrels, putting them in one place and daisy-chaining to form a kill zone with a LAM (or a well aimed shot) as a trigger. Works like charm against mechs. And groups of enemies.

That tactic is key to keep Paul Denton alive. After I read that it was indeed possible to keep Paul alive (I had previously failed to achieve that) I mined the Ton hotel good (used up almost my entire inventory of grenades - CS gas, EMPs, LAMs) and brought a lot of TNT crates from the warehouse.

The dialogue wit Paul triggered the appearance of the MJ12 arrest team ... who in return trigger my mines ... zzzap, flash, boom ... after the dialogue the lobby and the floor were empty but for a few stragglers. Who I then took care of. I went to Battery park then and surrendered to Günther (I tried, but that fight cannot be won).

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    That reminds me of this little gem of a walkthrough :)

I could've done that as well, but seeing as I had no particular desire to get Anna Navarre yet, I just let it be after I got killed by a couple of troopers. As long as I didn't leave through the window, Paul will be fine, so there was no particular incentive for me to try again. Another interesting option would've been to just hide in the secret closet while Paul takes care of the guys at the entrance, then smoke cigarettes until I'd die from it.

But so far I'm playing mostly as a passivist, so I think I'll stick to that theme. Except for bots, of course, they can eat crates of boom, or alternatively just plain rockets.

That aside, though, why'd you use gas and EMP grenades for the 'Ton situation? They're neither very useful against these opponents, nor will they set off crates of boom.

And yeah, Gunther is invincible at that point, and you can't run away from him either (I tried that as well), so the only real option left is to surrender... or let Gunther blow you away, of course.

4. Ragusa

Media:
    Oh, it's a long time ago, and I have played it the way I described it ever since, but I may just have read that walk through. It does read familiar :)

Besides, the CS are useful: They incapacitate the stragglers. And the EMP's strain bioelectric energy from the MIB, making taking them out easier as well, not to mention the cool blue flash effect during the dialogue :bigeyes: ;)

5. henkie

Media:
    Tsk, tsk. If you need EMPs to take out those MiB, you didn't bring over enough crates of boom :roll: And I'm mildly surprised you even notice the blue glow over the general whiteout once the explosions begin :D

I do see your point about the gas 'nades, though, keeps them nice and stationary while you whip out your LAW to finish 'em off :shake:

6. Ragusa

Media:
    Henkie,
    I brought all of them and went to great lengths not to use them in the warehouse. It's more about 'use it or lose it'. The MJ12 complex will screw up your grenade inventory anyway. Meta-gaming, I know, but alas, I can't 'unknow' these things.

7. henkie

Media:
    Huh, just noticed that the MiB appear to be invulnerable until after the cutscene. Or at least the boobytrapping doesn't seem to stop them. Rockets to the face still work, though. Do they even have a power supply to drain with EMPs?

The MJ12 prison only messes with your inventory until you find it right back in the armory, but I suppose I see your point. Interestingly, though, if you open your inventory right after you're transported to the prison, you still have everything in your inventory, so you can drop it to the floor, the pick it up again after the game thinks it has emptied your inventory. Meta-gaming and glitches... Can't say I'm too bothered by it ;)

8. Ragusa

Media:
    Darn, it really makes my fingers itch to re-install DeusEx ... and that after a buddy just gave me Torchlight ...

9. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I just completed Alpha Protocol, the espionage RPG by Obsidian. I was expecting it to be another Splinter Cell, but instead I was positively surprised and liked the game a lot. It is basically a modern JB with an intriguing plot. There were two major issues however, people not spawning after a reload (restarting the game usually helps but not in every place) and one exceptionally buggy mission. Sega has promised a patch, but so far they have released only one for the US version only (it instantly crashes the game on other versions).

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Started playing Arcanum. To avoid my usual restart problem (which I did several times in Fallout) I simply started three games: a mage, a thief, and a techno geek (who specializes in chemistry, explosives, and guns -- go figure).

11. henkie

Media:
    Been playing Saint's Row 2. Wonderful game. It's a GTA clone released at about the same time as GTA IV, but reminds me more of GTA: Vice City in terms of 'over the top'-ness. Which is great, because of the GTA games I've played, Vice City was always my favorite. The subsequent iterations of GTA were more serious and realistic, and I can't say I like the direction it has been going to.

Right, back to Saint's Row 2. It has plenty of things to do beside the main quest, all sorts of diversions from racing to throwing rabid fans into heavy machinery to protect a celebrity to playing the overly violent cop for the ratings. My favorite, though, is jumping in front of cars for insurance fraud. The fun here is that when you get hit enough, you'll go into adrenaline mode, which basically means that whenever a car hits you, you go flying. Far, far away. Then you bounce off another car right back to where you were, where you'll hopefully be hit by another car yet again. Hilarious to watch.

12. XSavagus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Plays severals RP games, Fallout 3, Drakensang and Archon Ultima 6. Playing Civ 5 and Warbands also, these games is very addictive and difficult to stop playing, even if they are not true rp games.

13. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

My "main" PC is currently in the service for repairs, so I'm using a laptop. It just manages to run Warriors Orochi, and I'm enjoying the button-mashing action I so liked at the arcades :) .

14. TheTallMan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Working my way through Arcanum which is a great trip down memory lane. Finishing Mass Effect 2 and started playing Freedom Force again with the Great Hunt mod, just so I can play as The Shadow and The Phantom again really.

15. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Fifa 11 and Dragon Age: Origins.

16. henkie

Media:
    Finally finished a run-through with an Half-Orc party I created in BGTutu. Aside from the Half-Orc theme, I decided that all should have some levels in a Fighter class. So I got a Barb, Kensai, F/C and F/T (and SK'ed the Cleric to Cleric of Helm and the Thief to Bountyhunter). I intended to have only a party of 4, but then decided to try out the Branwen romance when she started talking to my PC (the kensai).

I'd created a party like this before and liked the theme very much, but that party only ran through BG2+ToB, so I decided to redo the party and run them from BG through to ToB (although I admit that placing them all together at the start of BG is a bit contrived).

I have them in the starting dungeon in BG2 now, but first I want to run another party through BG with a different theme. The theme for this party is an elven mage party, with a Wild Mage, C/M, T/M and a sorcerer and to complete the theme I gave the C/M and T/M a Wild Mage kit through SK as well. They die well in the beginning of BG, but I'm hoping that they'll become slightly more robust after a bit more levelling. Wild magic is hilarious, though :)

Aside from that, I'm trying to play Rome: Total War, but for some reason the taskbar tray seems to filter through into the game, which causes the game to minimise whenever I click in the lower right corner. In and of itself not game breaking, except that I can't press the End Turn button, as trying to do so just minimises the game...
    Hopefully I can find a workaround somewhere on the internet. This is in Windows 7, by the way.

17. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I just started a new NW2. I'm going to play through the entire series - Hope I make it. :)

18. Rahkir

Rahkir Cogito, ergo doleo

Feda: The Emblem of Justice

Great game. If anyone has played shining force before, it's almost exactly the same but with a more adult story. Which is not a bad thing. ;)

19. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Good luck with that....

I started but just couldn't get any further than West Harbor after the attack. The game is ok but the story is seriously does not bring you into the game.

The games I play right now are as followed.

DAO - Still hacking away after 4 completed games
    Army of Two - Beaten it many times but it is my favorite 1st person shooter game
    Army of Two:40th Day - I like it but not as much as the first game
    Resistance Fall of Man - Playing this with a friend whenever we can both find time to log onto the PSN.
    NWN2 - Started a new game though only completed up to the attack on West Harbor. I may get into again later on.

After Xmas I will be very busy with all of my new games. I'm totally looking for my weeks vacation right after Xmas. I know where I will be, on my couch playing all my new games.

20. Ragusa

Media:
    Lord of the Rings Online. Nice game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.