1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What game are you playing right now? #2

Discussion in 'Playground' started by The Magister, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gorgon82 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I got a copy of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for the PSX from a friend the other day and just started playing last night. I know that it`s a really old game, but this is the first time I`ve ever played it, and I have to say it`s the funest game I`ve played in years. It seems so much more in-depth and realistic than Final Fantasy Tactics (which now seems like a dumbed-down ripoff). Does anyone out there who remembers this jewel have any advice for a new player?

2. Midnight Carnival Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Never got into my copy of Tactics Ogre before it got stolen. =L

Currently alternating between The Patrician III, Farm Frenzy and Morrowind (w/ both expansions).

Hey, just gotta say, Farm Frenzy looks like discounted shovelware but the game is a ton of fun and very well polished for a budget title.

3. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I am currently playing through Red Dead Redemption. It's a bit boring right now with so many filler missions, but apparently it gets better towards the end again.

Also a quick note about The Witcher. Remember to keep your save files as you can import it to the sequel.

4. Midnight Carnival Gems: 2/31

I so much would love to play the Witcher and our main NZ game store has the original dirt cheap right now but even the original is too massive for my PC to run.

5. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I'm currently on a Left4Dead2 kick. Although, seeing as the people I end up teaming with online are beyond worthless; I don't see myself playing it much longer.

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Fallout 3 over Bioshock. If you want to play a shooter with rpg elements play stalker call of pripyat.

after a lot of fun wit plants vs zombies I returned to sacred2

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    How is Call of Pripyat compared with the original? I liked the original one a lot once I got into it.

8. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The original has more atmosphere, like the horror-like bits in the underground labs.
    CoP has more refined gameplay, but largely lacks the aforementioned atmospheric locations and the general feel of oppression that the original had in buckets. It also feels considerably smaller (only three main maps to explore, though there's more to do in these maps than in maps of the Shadow of Chernobyl or Clear Sky).

I have really enjoyed CoP, and stuff like being able to catch your breath while walking, being able to repair weapons and armor, the 'blow-outs' and a more consistent quest system make it feel like a more polished and refined game.
    The original is a longer game and has more of a sense of having to survive in a hostile, post-apocalyptic world, but I dare say you'll enjoy CoP despite this.

I'm hoping that in the sequel (which has recently been officially announced) they'll combine the best of all three games so far.

9. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It looks about the same. still a few different things but you feel right at home.

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Reinstalled Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Invisible War after seeing the trailer for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It's supposed to be a prequel to Deus Ex and the trailer oozes Blade Runner from every pore, which is not a bad thing if they actually manage to pull it off. Seems interesting enough to keep an eye on, and hey, it can't be worse than Invisible War, now can it?

Anyway, Deus Ex. The original, that is. Started playing through it, and still loving it. It's been a while since I played a game this good, where both gameplay and story are excellent.

I'm playing at Realistic difficulty, meaning that stealth is the only way to go, but I like to play it stealthy anyway. I also try to minimise kills, though, especially at the beginning, the lack of ammo for the stealthy, non-lethal weapons occasionally forced me to kill someone.

As usual, I focus on close quarters combat, with a secondary focus in heavy weapons to deal with any bots I might encounter. It meshes well with the stealthy approach - watching their patrolling routes and figuring out how and where to take them down one by one with a cattle prod. Plus, for some reason I always like to go the HtH route, if a game offers the option (always ended up with a HtH proficient character in Fallout 1 & 2 as well).

I started up IW as well, playing through the beginning only, and I tried to like it, as I do think the story has some potential. However, I was immediately struck by how obviously this game was designed for a console. The maps feel small and claustrophobic, the menus are more easily navigated with the arrow keys than the mouse.

Not all stuff can be blamed on this though. The horrible animations, the terrible voice acting... it's such a shame that it falls so far short of the original. I'll still try to play through it, though.

11. Midnight Carnival Gems: 2/31

Sacred Gold, Civ IV and Fable but might remove Fable until a later date as I need to make room when my functional copy of Heroes of M&M V comes in the mail and should have my copy of Knights of the Old Republic soon too.

12. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Red Dead Redemption. Loving it so far.

13. wenchwogg Gems: 3/31

Veteran

just beat starcraft 2 a bit ago. what a great game - but now i'm dying for heart of the swarm to come out. sighs :(

14. Dethwynd Gems: 3/31

Dragon Quest IX For the Nintendo DS

15. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

The second battle of Kharkov, a mod of Close Combat V.

16. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I am playing MassEffect 2 again, on hardcore (which is manageable), and I have hacked (read: improved) the game so that Grunt can use the machine gun. Very much in character IMO. I also edited it so I have both the Revenant machine gun and the Widow sniper rifle; it's my third run through after all, and my second with this particular character, and I think I am entitled all content by now. I also feel that Jack deserves an SMG instead of an ordinary gun. Fits her character. That said, I played for the Geth Assault rifle.

I ordered Crysis, Bioshock and Star Wars: Empire at War - Gold Pack today. I guess I'll play Crysis next.

17. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Began my last run (hopefully) of The Witcher, so that I will have a proper save file for the sequel. I was going to play Alpha Protocol, but the patch for it is not out yet, so that will have to wait until it is released.

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Ah, enjoy. The Witcher is great. I really liked it.

19. Merlanni

Media:
    Picked up Risen again. I left it halfway trough. Not bad, Does a lot of things right but to many things half. Still a good pick up in RPG shallow times.

20. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm slowly working my way through Half Life 2. Don't have much time to play, though, so it's taking me awhile; I probably started 2-3 months ago, and I think I'm only about 3/4 of the way through (I've just started the part where you are joined by companions who you can send to specific locations.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.