1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What does Boo do?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Nedra, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Nedra Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] New to all this. Just wondering, does Boo the hamster actually do anything at anytime during the game? He is put automatically into the quick slot, so I was wondering whether he changes into this giant space hamster, or is he just a hamster to add some humour?

Thanks for all the tips you've all given me. Very new to the fantasy world, thanks to my blokey, but enjoying it. I kick butt at Spellfire too, if any of you play that.

2. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Nothing, nada, nilch, zip and zero. In other words, he doesn't do anything practical at all besides taking up Minsc's quickslot. (unless i've missed something?) Oh, and he does all the thinking when it comes to it. Minsc's INT and WIS score is actually Boo's ;)

If you have Shadows of Amn, you can install a mod named Unfinished Business, for a quest involving Boo. And i must say, it's hilarious! :D

Oh, and welcome to the boards! :wave:

3. Nedra Gems: 1/31

Thanks for that. Minsc was making comments that I was taking too long, so I have let him die so that I can take him to rescue Dyaneir without him turning on me, which I know he will eventually do.

Then my plan is to resurrect him so that he will like me again. What do you think? Sounds like a good plan?

4. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

I'm not sure I understand. Are you playing an evil party?

5. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

Not especially. I did this my first time through, and when I resurrected him, he would attack, even though Dynaheir was in the party. The Gnoll Stronghold can be tricky, especially if you headed straight to Nashkel, but a couple of good swordsmen backed up by some archers, lots of healing, and by going slowly, you should be fine. Just try not to rest (blasted Xvarts).

6. Dranalis DeAealth

If you're playing an evil party, then you shouldn't really be picking him up anyway - you should be going with Edwin - and if you're a good party, then simply take him with you and rescue Dynaheir. I don't really see the need to kill him off. Or am I missing something?

7. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

Minsc gets grumpy if you take too long to get Dynaheir, which is quite easy to do, especially if you are new to the game, since there is a lot of exploring to do around the Nashkel area. He will eventually attack your party if you dawdle, but killing and later resurrecting him is usually bad, since he somehow misses out on the rescuing of Dynaheir, even if you saved her, and he will still attack.

8. Dranalis DeAealth

But I don't see any reason why you would wish to delay going to the Stronghold - at least, not to the point where Minsc would attack. You'll have plenty of time for exploring once you've rescued Dynaheir.

If it's a question of your level, then simply do some fighting in order to level up before Minsc engages you in conversation.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Minsc does not turn on you if you rescue Dynaheir in a reasonable time. I don't pick him up until after I clear the mines. After getting him I'll explore the western areas on the way to the Gnoll fort. I think you have ~14 in game days to get her before Minsc will turn his berserker rage on you.

Boo is boo. He goes for the eyes....

10. Nedra Gems: 1/31

Oh pants! I thought if I let him die, he would still be nice to me and I could rescue her still without him attacking me once I have resurrected him. Does he need to see her being rescued then? I have a pretty good party, and I have plenty of spells, good armour and my level is not too bad for this point in the game. I was taking too long, I know with the game, as this is my first time at it.

I don't have an evil party. Ooh! Also, what would be the best priest spells in your view? (playing a half-elf priestess) She has Bless, cure light wounds, Hold a person, magic stone, and spiritual hammer...can't remember the others! Any ther good ones at this level?

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Boo - I've never seen him do anything, though I have read in a walkthrough that he will change and help fight the final battle.

Minsc - If you want Dynaheir rescued (either to keep Minsc or both of them), just hurry over to the Gnolls and save her. There's a lot of map you can skip by not exploring anything and only walking from one side to the other.

Priest Spells - Cure Light Wounds (and the other cure wounds spells), Slow Poison, Bless, Hold Person (if you have room), Protection from Evil 10', Barkskin, Entangle and Remove Fear. These are the ones my clerics' always have memorized.

Good luck in the game and welcome. :wave: :thumb:

12. Schaf Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

all clerics have the same spells in bg iirc. don't worry, you'll be fine. what's the rest of your party?
    if you really want to play with minsc (and boo), i fear you'll have to do a little reloading.
    boo never does anything beside squeaking :)

13. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Well, he sqeaks if you click on him, takes up a very valuable inventory slot (then again, I carry a dead cat with me in IWD), and proves even more that Minsc is nuts.

So, not too much. :)

14. Nedra Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] At the moment my party is a dead Minsc, Jaheira, Xan (planning on getting rid of him though soon), me- a half-elf priestess, and the ranger, but I can't remember his name right now.

We are getting good and I have some pretty funky magical items and spells (thanks for all the tips). Just about to go and rescue Dyaneir now, so wish me luck, and if you can give me any tips, they would always be appreciated!

15. Schaf Gems: 3/31

what happened to khalid? i assume "that ranger" is called kivan :) . solid party, except for thieves. how do you open chests or disarm traps (although you might not have encountered any besides those in the nashkell mines)? do you have xan learn and cast knock all the time?
    since your party seems like a good-aligned one, you could use imoen as your thief until you meet... someone more powerful... you'll see who i mean :)

16. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Boo does only one thing: *squick*

17. Nedra Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Totally forgot about Imoen! Yes, I have her, and her lock picking is about 60%, so not too bad. Thanks as well for not telling me who this other thief is. I don't like knowing everything about the game, although hints, tips and advice is always good.

I thought that Garrick was quite good too. Miss him sometimes. He was much better at pick pocketing if I remember rightly.

Thanks for everyone's help.Any tips on how difficult it is to rescue Dyanheir would be greatly appreciated!

18. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I found the spells Sleep (mage) and Entangle (priest) very useful. There are way too many gnolls walking around; you'd think they owned the place! :lol:

19. Schaf Gems: 3/31

saving dynaheir is not that hard, if you have enough ammo. between kivan (long composite bow), imoen (shortbow), xan (darts or throwing daggers) and jaheira (sling), you yourself (or however has the best ac) should be able to stand in the way of all the gnolls and let the others finish them off from a distance. gnolls may look big and fierce, but they're only wild dogs, if you burn it down to xp.
    remember, dynaheir is in the *gnoll fortress*, but don't forget to explore *all* the map. you might overlook something :)

20. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

If Minsc wasn't attacking you yet you may be able to resurrect him and head straight to get dynaheir and everything may be fine.

Just don't leave the stronghold map without Dynaheir or Minsc will attack you right away!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.