1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What do you think of the Singleplayer?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Errol, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

2. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I agree with you, BTA. But as I said before, I've been finding it too easy.

3. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Very disapointing. Chapter one was really an awful bore. The only parts I liked were **SPOILERS**

-winning the Boar Laid Bare (or whatever the name was) in the fight pits.
    -scoring with the...ahem..."ladies of ill-repute"
    -the docks quest.

Everything else was pretty boring in chapter one. It was truly awful till I tried it a second time with an interesting character (lots of work to actually rp something in this game). Chapter two, while I haven't played in a couple of weeks, seemed more interesting. The dungeon under the green griffon inn was nice, and the side quests are a bit better. But the central theme of fetch this and that is a bit old. Unfortunately, with henchman interaction being only a boring story here or there, it was starting to bore me again. So I took a break to work on my own expansive game. Unless you use the toolset or know of some really good modules, the game isn't worth buying at this point.

And I don't feel Diablo players would really like the SP much either. Even though Bioware sold us down the river to apeal to that bunch, I'd think it'd be far to slow for them. There's lots of hack n slash, but nowhere the action of diablo. Hey, if the story is boring to us, imagine how much of a chore it would be for a hack n slash junkie to trudge through it. Just my thoughts.

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I really am getting tired of typing this exact message in countless threads. The SP game was a bonus! Originally, NWN was supposed to be multiplayer only! Would you rather have a SP game or would you rather NWN remained an MMORPG? Personally, I liked the way they did it. I knew that the SP campaign was just something tacked on at the last minute and that it wasn't going to be near the epic proportions of the BG series, which was primarily SP.

At that thought, I did get bored with the SP campaign, but I still think it's better than a lot of the other crap out there that's passing for games.

[ August 29, 2002, 22:53: Message edited by: Rastor ]

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] NWN was not supposed to be MP-only for the last 3 years, so that argument is pretty weak. And judging by the poll on the front page, a rough half of the people who bought the game never downloaded and played a single other module than what comes with the singe player campaign. BioWare was promising a story on par, if not better, with BG2 for the last two years. They did not deliver on that promise, that's plain as light of day. Obviously this left a great number of fans disappointed, especially those who won't bother with multiplayer for one reason or another, and those not interested in playing extra modules.

6. stormhand Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I am greatly disappointed with the SP story. I have to force my self back to playing the game (still in Chapter 2 even if I bought the game the day it came out!!!) so that I can make it to the end and satisfy my curiosity.

Of course, the lack of party management is a big flaw for me. Also, the "random" magic items found are related to your PC class, so I keep getting the same magic items over and over again without having a clue of what would be available for other classes. Not that I could use them, but at least I wouldn't have to play through the game more than once to know the different items available. And by the looks of it, I won't know what the other items are because there is no way I'll go through that campaign a second time!!

When I bought the game, I had some intentions of joining a PW so that some good roleplaying fun could be had. However, with the game getting erratic at some point after playing for some time, and having to reboot to solve the stuttering, I have second thoughts with regards to PW. That problem might be caused by my O/S (Windows Me - please, don't flame me, it came with the hardware!!) so I'm stuck with this additional aggravation related to NWN.

So all in all, I'm very disappointed with that game. I can't wait to finish it so that I can jump into BG2 - I know I'm late, but at least some very nice fun still lies ahead of me!! :D

7. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Yeah but with custom made modules it WILL be better than BG becouse there will be tons of modules :D . Constantly new quests and adventures :D
    But i agree with all of you that SP stinks :(

8. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, I didn't think that the SP game stinks. Its not as good overall as the BG series, but I fully expected that given how short it is. Its not actually any more linear or 'lead by the nose-ish' than BG2. Just the frosting on the cake is a lot thinner. You don't have the opportunity to waste as much time between each stage of the "NPC tells you what to do" plotline. Overall, I think that this storyline, if stretched into a full length game, would have been pretty interesting.

Certainly, some of the style issues I would have done differently. I didn't particularly care for the random treasure system used. While the objective was laudable, it didn't really work. And although I liked playing D2 (and still play every once in a while), I didn't much care for the Stone of Recall/Respawn options in a D&D game.

We'll see what they do with Witchworks and with the story in the expansion. The SP game was kind of like a novelist trying short stories for the first time and not quite getting the differences in the formats.

9. ShockTroop Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I hate the fact that in one of the BG II loading windows it says you can import your characters into NWN, but it ended up not supporting them. It would be kinda hard to change your character from semi-2D to 3D unless when you imported your character it would give you the last customize screen where you can change what you look like, and the XP cap was a LOT higher. The game was changed so much compared to BG II that there was no chance of NWN supporting BG II characters. Still, every time I load up a BG II game and seeing that screen it frustrates me :flaming: :bang: . Now wouldn't it be cool to have a Carsomyr-weilding paladin wreaking havoc wherever he goes :aaa: :evil: :grin:

10. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] I got past the tutorial, and then... half the prison plot?

the entire game is just boring, single player that is.

What I would like to have seen would probably be less hack n' slash.

11. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'd also think a full party system would have done alot to round out the game. I know, it's horribly easy as it is, but then, I think in reality a full party system would have allowed the designers to make it a little less simplistic and more challenging (if the designers would have ever been so inclined). I could probably live with a full party of henchman type characters if the simplistic A.I. was upgraded. But until Bioware can actually show they can do it, I'd rather ask for a fully controlable party system. At least you could have controlled battle tactics that would allow for some challenging fights, and perhaps the 10 second resting could have dissalowed in most areas(or at least challenged by encounters), the masses of healing kits and potions could have been done away with, and summoned monsters could have gone back to their origional 3E durations instead of permanant allies. I'm sure the idea that single player with just one character and henchman when they first concieved of it sounded like it would have been more challenging, but fact is with combat made so much more simple to accomidate all classes with a minimum of allies support, the whole experience isn't really challenge at all and only serves to make the game more boring. I think a full party system, henchman or no, would solve this to one degree or another.

12. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Well, you're right about the fights being pitifully easy and the probs with the summoned creatures. With my level 16 cleric, about halfway through Chapter 3, his summoned creatures can solo any fight, leaving me around to grab the loot.

I'm not sure if I prefer the Aurora or the IE games. I always seem to have a better feeling of control when I'm playing BG2 than when I'm playing NWN. That might partly be due to the fact that my machine barely fits the minimum requirements, so the fights are choppy and my main character ends up blocking my view! If the game was to be in 3D, I would have rather had a first-person perspective than an isometric view.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.