1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What do you think of Cheats?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by DragonRider SkyWard, Sep 23, 2001.

1. sorvo Guest

Let's face it, your cheating if you played the game more than once because you know what is going to be there, so we all are guilty;)

2. Eldros Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The main thing I use the console for is to import custom items (whether made by me or otherwise). I don't really feel like making a store and putting all of my items into it. I rarely make them very powerful anyways...

When it comes to using cheats, I usually refrain from using any until I've played through the game at least once without them. As I'm on my second trip through the game right now (playing a mage instead of a fighter/druid this time), I really don't mind using cheats, but I still stay away from them for the most part...boosted my stats a tad, not much more than that.

3. Kill_Lexington Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Cheets suck BAD.

4. I always take the Boots of Speed. I'm lazy and hates to watch my party wonder happily though half of the map. If I'm not cheating that badly, I teleport to places I've already been. (I DON'T WANNA SPEND 7 MINUTES WATCHING MY GUYS WONDER FROM THE FRIENDLY ARMS INN THE THE ENTRANCE AND GET LOST IN A BUNCH OF COWS!)

5. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] What the hell are you talking about? And quit with the caps! :nolike: :nono: :shame:

6. ArchAngel Guest

I would agree with the Dreadmaster, if I had bothered finding out how those cheats work.

Anyway if I ever feel that way I tell myself that I have played the game too much. And quit. Even if Boo misses me... :)

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited April 08, 2002).]

7. Turandil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Like to "cheat", like maxing my character, summon evil monsters on a map, place them strategicly, and with a boss at the end of the map. Plce some alies, bylanna, watch, and ogregrsu, then I let my friend try to complete the map, and defeat the boz. But I don't cheat inside game.

8. kinslayer01 Gems: 1/31

why use cheats...
    it ruins the game - the game its self is not too hard

9. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Cheats are for pussies.

That is all.

10. Kill_Lexington Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Yep I agree there.

11. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] The only thing I did whit cheats was upgrading my number of arrows and healing potions, cause I was getting tired of walking back to stores and temples all the time! I wish the made them stackable till 99 instead of 20...

12. Incendor Bloodbane Gems: 1/31

I suggest playing the game without cheats, which will make the game that much more interesting...

Then when yu complete the game, go through and do what ya want.....

I had a buddy that used the editor for BG and because he made his 1 character so powerful, he was bored with the game...

A little challenge is always fun......

Incendor Bloodbane
    "Evil, Beware my hammer!"

13. llama_of_chaos Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Cheats? greatest cheat editors for bG,BG2 and iceworld dale is those made by "mudmaster" they allow ya to change buckets of stuff...its better to play the game FIRST time without them though as much work went inta making these great games :)

14. Ubull Ravenhorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I would be really happy, if there were no cheats at all.
    I think it can destroy the feeling...
    I loved the game, (BGI) because I haven't read anything about it, and played it through without any help.
    It was wonderful.( I got killed by ankhegs on lvl.1, because I knew I had to go to beregost, but I ....I don't know.) I got killed many times, but it was wonderful as i said before.)
    After that I used cheat and used weapons I have never heard before...
    I it wasn't that good.I wanted better and better items, and i had many difficulties when I started it again..bigger when without a walkthru.
    Cheaters( excuse me for the word), or most of them play for the new items... not for the game..It's like another game...Diablo.... it's just collecting items. No good. BG is not for items, but for interesting and challenging quests.
    I think console is good for finding interesting things, but nothing else.
    About the keepers: they are the best if you want to create a killing machine.
    I always create a cheat party, and use the console to create as many tough creatures as I can.
    Topic3: Normally you can't reach lvl20, but only level7-9, but xpcapremovers are( like Godlike) for that.
    You can even reach level40 in Dark Side of the Sword Coast

15. Grim Reaper Gems: 1/31

Yep, got to agree with comicspaul. Cheating makes it boring. The game is not too difficult.

Having said that, how many of you save before level up and have a few attempts to see what the biggest HP increase you can get is?
    Can't say I've ever done that !!:lol:

And don't try to justify having tons of arrows either. That's just plain lazy !
    It takes the fun out of finding new tactics and battle strategies. Get in there with your bare hands man, knock 'em out......then run like hell ! (if you're a Melicamp, that is)

[This message has been edited by Grim Reaper (edited May 23, 2002).]

16. Valer Gems: 7/31

Sorry good folks, but i don't know whats are the cheatings...! Please enlighten me.
    - Saving game after each battle and reload if it did not succeed is cheating? - I think everyone uses this
    - Saving before leveling up, for better HP is a cheating? - This is popular too...
    - Killing everyone in the area, just for fun is cheating? - Or just seeking new challenge, errand. I REALY enjoy this game and i like complete every task (not from walkthroughs).
    - And what about keeping the best items and let your character overpowered? - Of course you won't sell good stuffs, you'll keep it and use them. (I have never sold my computer because it was too fast for example)
    - And last...the XP cap removing ? - Could anyone imagine that a character is walking in the forest. She/He tought someting in the previous 2000 battle, but nothing in the next 2000 one?

My opinion is that cheating everything, which needs console using or modifying the saved game. I avoided all of them.
    XP cap removing i think is a bug fix, because the programmers were not prepared for a solo character... did they?

17. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I admit to using cheats, but I use them carefully

I don't use them to level up or increase any stats. I sometimes use them if I accidently kill an important NPC or destroy an item by mistake, quest items only, and I use explore area cheat as well because I really hate not seeing the whole map.

Sometimes people cheat to complete the game, like my friend but he has paid for it now, to say the least

18. Sirdan Gems: 7/31

Come on guys. Cheating is cheating. You know who you are. Loading again to earn more HP isn't cheating. Is like you reroled the die. I don't cheat even now i am 10th time in the game. However i install mods and such things.

19. zaknafein Guest

OK, its time for me to put my two cents worth in. Cheating sucks if its used to destroy the challange but as 8people said, sometimes cheats could be used to explore parts of the map that are otherwise impossible to see and if you kill an important NPC then what are you ment to do.
    Using a walkthrough to complete the game the first time through is lame and makes the game boring and if you want to make an item why dont you just get some pen and paper, write up its abilities and play through a PnP game with them.

20. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    When saying about creating items I meant creating quest Items that you lost somehow and where needed.

I have never needed to use cheats to create Items or NPCs because if you are careful in the game and don't act stupidly then you shouldn't have a need to.

Revealing the map isn't really that bad because it is not as if it shows creatures or anything, it just saves time walking around though the penalty is the possibility of missing a quest.

Cheat keys are only useful for saving time (or money) or doing something wierd you probably didn't want to happen.

Adding gold is stupid and only causes an economic crisis in the game. Anyway - real players work hard to make there own cash.

Cheating is up to the player, as long as they only cheat on their own computer, own game, own character and take responsibility for consequences.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.