1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What Country (Besides the One You Live In) Do You Respect the Most?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hooray for the three people who chose New Zealand! Respect!

Um, seeing as I can't choose New Zealand, I'll have to go with the countries that to me are most like New Zealand, namely Australia, Canada, England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales. I'd also have to add Italy to that list, if only for their passionate approach to food.

Note that every country on this list has a rugby team that competes in the World Cup finals.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Why's that Kuemp?

HB, I definitely overlooked the Italians food. That's one thing to respect them for, for sure. They know their onions over there, quite literally.

3. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Thats what every Empire has ever done. It's a 'side effect' of military expansion yet the British are always picked out for it. The Romans, the Christian states, the Mongols, the Huns, the conquistador's aren't villanised in the same way. May I remind you how the new state the United States of America treat the native Americans (Britain also banned slavery whilst it was still commonly used in America). Not to mention the crimes of the Third Reich. So I just don't understand why the British are individually picked out for "destroying the culture of other nation's". :confused:

4. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Because in a lot of those cases that you stated, their rule came to an end. Sure there is still traces of the time when they colonised countries like New Caladonia (sp?) and others (the Spanish in South America) but the ruling of those countries has mainly passed back to the original owners except for a few cases. Ask yourself this: How many African-Americans and Aboriginals do you see in politics in their respective countries compared to the white man?

PS: Out of those other empires that you stated, the only instance that one of them decimated another race that I can remember was when the Conquistadors invaded South America and pretty much eradicated the Aztecs but please feel free to correct me if I am wrong as my history on some of the other cultures is lacking.

5. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    None.

I like some nations more than others, but I don't respect any, maybe parts of them or individual people.

6. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Between 1918 and the 60's the British Empire gave each colony it's independence. Thats gave not having the Empire dragged to piece's like most Empire's in history.

The same is true for all European colonial Empire's. The last black leader of an African nation was removed when Mussolini
    invaded Abyssinia.

After Roman conquest's they tried to "rehabilitate" the native populations with the Roman way of life. This often involved forcing the native people's into slavery and giving the land to Roman nobles and in extreme cases the complete destruction of a civilisation such as Carthage. The USA killed the native American's almost to extinction, if that's not destroying culture I don't know what is. The third Reich exterminated between 6-8 million Jew's. Slavery was used on a much higher scale a thousand years before the British Empire, who later outlawed slavery which was enforced almost entirely by the Royal Navy until the League of Nations managed to bring an almost complete end to it. Yet the British Empire is considered the worst abuse of slavery in history. :confused:

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Bah. All this talk of imperial domination of 'inferior' races is in itself racist and egocentric. Take a step back and you will see that the 'dominating' civilisations also no longer exist. The 'conquering' Spanish and English 'empires' no longer exist in the form they did 500 years ago. And, for example, just what is an 'English civilisation' anyway? The British Isles have been invaded, overrun, and infiltrated so many times over the last 2,000 years that no trace remains of the original inhabitants (if anyone can even remember who they were).

[ December 02, 2006, 20:18: Message edited by: Harbourboy ]

8. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
  9. Barmy Army

Media:
    Only you have brought up the word 'inferior', hence you're the only one talking about racism. Talk about putting a round peg a square hole, lad!

10. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I'm happy enough with the wage, I live in a state with one of the highest... In January it'll be $7.93 an hour (6.54 Euro... I think).

Yes, yes I do.

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    6.54 euro minimum wage? wow, that's really low. That's like... what... £4? £4.50? I wouldn't piss on that. That really needs addressing.

12. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Yeh I was just about to say that, when I work I get £5.65 an hour which is around 8 euro's? And I'm only a student.

13. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Sorry, but I'm with Kuemper and Trellheim.

My definition of a 'nation' is a group of people organized ostensibly for mutual benefit and protection, yet are almost invariably misguided from these goals by those who control the nation.

I can list off individuals across the breadth of history from just about every background who can claim my respect, but I have yet to find a single nation (including those I call my own) that has earned any respect from me.

(maybe a poor choice of words there in the opener, Aldeth :( )

14. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    England still would have lost. Look at the problems America has had with puny nations like Iraq and Vietnam (and that's with England's help). Great powers never learn how expensive it is in blood and treasure to occupy smaller countries that just don't want to be occupied. And keep in mind England had to hire Germans to help them fight the Revolution, and those "thick headed Yanks" still managed to run the English "lobsters" clear into the Atlantic ;)

15. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Minimum wage is about that here. But then, I guess our cost of living is probably lower. Think the minimum wage is about NZ$10.50. As a student, I earn about US$7.80 (4 pounds or 5.9 euro) an hour, before tax.

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    Germans? You must be thinking of the KGL (King's German Legion). We didn't 'hire' them, they fled to Britain from Hanover when the French invaded. They swore loyalty to the English kings and were incorporated into the military. We had those around for years and years. As apposed to the French, who were o-so glad for the chance to have a pop at us again :lol: .

We just couldn't get more soldiers there and were outnumbered by more than 2:1 by the end of that war. It was inevitable we were going to lose, but the powers that be must have thought it not worth the effort of retaking/reinforcing, for whatever reasons. Perhaps it was considered too 'remote' part of the empire, I don't know.

It's also pretty iffy to compare 18th century warfare to modern day warfare! We had a long history of subduing nations who didn't 'want' to be occupied. It's something we excelled at :p nobody 'wants' to be occupied, we just had the sense not to change things too much in our new colonies. Let them live how they did before, we just install a British flag over the place.

Well, I guess it's all speculation and ifs and buts, but I think we could have kept a hold of our holdings in America if we really wanted to and didn't have other things on our plate at the time.

17. Harbourboy

But what would have been the practical point of 'keeping hold of your holdings'? How would you personally have benefited from that?

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    I'm not sure I get what you mean. I would have benefited nothing. Why would I? I just find history interesting and do a lot of 'what if' wondering. I'm just fascinated by it all. I mean, the bravery of these men is beyond my comprehension. Going into war is something, but standing in a perfect line, just waiting for the enemies musket volley. It was astonishing courage and discipline really. I think I for one would've tried my hand at desertion!

19. Harbourboy

I guess what I am saying is: what difference does it make whether England held onto America or not? It probably wouldn't have been worth the bother anyway. Imagine trying to administer the thing. Nightmare.

20. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    In "The Wealth of Nations" (spring 1776), Adam Smith actually advocated either granting the American colonies representation in the British Parliament, or granting them full independence. He argued that representation in proportion to the taxes the colonies paid would only be fair, and independence would create a USA which would forever be grateful and friendly to Britain.

OK, this was :yot: .

If I had to point to a single country that I respected above any other, it would be the Republic of Ireland, for the economic miracle they have created over the last 20 years - going from being one of Europe's poorest nations to one of the most affluent.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.