1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What "classic" book to read?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Harbourboy, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] All I've read this year has been fantasy novels so I'm thinking of having a change of pace and reading another "classical" book over the holidays. Examples of books I have liked that meet MY working definition of classics have included:
    "Rebecca" - Daphne Du Maurier
    "David Copperfield" - Charles Dickens
    "Les Miserables" - Victor Hugo
    "Don Quixote" - Cervantes
    "The Count of Monte Cristo" - Alexandre Dumas
    "Gulliver's Travels" - Jonathan Swift
    "Nicholas Nickleby" - Charles Dickens

Any suggestions for a really good classic to take on holiday with me?

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The only classics I have read and which I recommend wholeheartedly are A picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde and Crime and Punishment by Fjodor Dostojevski.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's a decent list there (though you can freely pass on Nicholas Nickleby and Rebecca). What you MUST add to the list is Wuthering Heights (even though it'll give you a headache), Vanity Fair (excellent style, nice story, movie out now), Moby Dick and Treasure Island. For starters.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley -- just an incredible book about prejudice.
    John Carter of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs (actually a series of 11 books)
    War of the Worlds by Jules Verne
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (I've heard Robinson Crusoe and Swiss Family Robinson are good)
    The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde was a good short story by Stevenson
    The Scarlett Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
    Call of the Wild by Jack London
    Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (and/or Huckleberry Finn)

If you want a book for the holidays and like Dickens you may as well try A Christmas Carol.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Good suggestions. Of the ones you've mentioned, I have read:

Treasure Island (average)
    Robinson Crusoe (cool)
    War of the Worlds (not the same without the music)
    Tom Sawyer (ages ago)
    Frankenstein (brilliant)
    Wuthering Heights (you're right about the headache)

Moby Dick looks just too imposing for a holiday read.

6. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

My Suggestions?

Billy Budd (Herman Melville)
    Moby Dick (Also Herman Melville - and it may look imposing but it's the most popularly read book in American literature for a reason!)
    The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck - greatest book in the world)
    Jane Eyre (One of them Victorian women... can't remember off the top of my head, but it's a GREAT book! Almost as good as:
    Wuthering Heights (I'll second Tal on this one - a fantastic piece of literature).

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Dracula rocks :)

8. Harbourboy

Yes, Dracula does rock. No way am I reading Wuthering Heights again. I hated that book.

Hmm, a lot of pressure coming from the Moby Dick camp....but The Grapes of Wrath sounds like a good candidate as well.

So many books , so little time. This is why I seldom re-read books.

9. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I guess The Iliad and The Odyssey wouldn't count?

10. Harbourboy

That would definitely count, except that I have already read them. Brilliant.

11. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Here's a few that have not been mentioned, and are some of my favorites:

Rabbit, Run - John Updike
    The Good Soldier - Ford Maddox Ford.
    The Decameron - Boccaccio will make you laugh out loud with some of these very "wicked" stories.
    The Dubliners - James Joyce. They don't come any better than this.
    Howard's End - E.M. Forster
    Of Human Bondage - W. Somerset Maugham
    The Lady in White - Wilke Collins

And if you haven't already:

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexander Dumas. Ah, I see you have. Never mind.
    The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
    Also, there is a Penguin translation of a really good Icelandic Saga: Njal's Saga. A good tale of murder and revenge among the Vikings.

[ December 15, 2004, 16:41: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As for Moby Dick I can tell you that I started the book this summer and have yet to finish it. I have found it rather cool actually, much more of a bizarre not really comedy but almost than expected. I have not finished it though cause there are always some easy read to steal away my attention when I am about to enlighten myself by reading some classic. I have been reading David Copperfield for almost four years now, I read a couple of pages when I am completely out of everything else to read.

13. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    How about Dante's Inferno and War and Peace, Aeneid?

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Don Quixote is one of those books that has sections that are absolutely brilliant followed by huge sections that are dull as ditchwater. Also, I found book 1 to be much better than book 2. As much as I hate to say this but I would suggest getting an abridged edition - I have seen one that leaves the good chapters intact and summarizes a lot of the ones that are mind numbingly dull.

Moby Dick is quite good when it isn't in whaling documentary mode.

Dr Jeckle and Mr. Hyde is quite good as well.

The Three Muskateers is a fairly light but reasonably entertaining read.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is fairly decent although it too suffers from going into docuemntary mode at times.

I would skip War and Peace - I was bored silly and stopped reading it before anything resembling a plot was ever established.

15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Steinbeck and Hemmingway are also good choices:

Grapes of Wraith
    Of Mice and Men (fantastic)
    East of Eden
    Tortilla Flats (hilarious -- especially the chapter titles. It's better if you've read Le Morte D'Arthur)
    The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights (incomplete, but an excellent translation)

The Old Man and the Sea (what would you expect from Nobel Prize winner)
    Islands in the Stream
    The Sun Also Rises
    For Whom the Bell Tolls

Stay away from the Hemmingway books with a lot of dialogue -- his strength was descriptive writing.

16. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

My suggestions would the The Coral Island and sequel the Gorrila Hunters, but not sure if you'd appreciate them if you weren't keen on Treasure Island & Robinson Crusoe.

What about some of the Sherlock Holmes books?

17. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

"Two years of holiday" (not sure if I translated that right) - by Jules Vernes

Moby Dick - by Herman Melville

To Kill a Mocking Bird - by Harper Lee (As far as I know, the author is female)

The Neverending Story - by Michael Ende (for me this is a classic. But tending quite a bit to the fantastic. Still great)

MOMO - by Michael Ende (you might think it is a childrens book, which it is, but you will notice that children can be defined as people from 9-99 years of age)

Twelfth Night - by William Shakespeare (good comedic play)

Sophie's World - by Josteein Garder (a novel explaining philosophy [from Plato to today] in an interesting way)

Metamorphosis - by Franz Kafka (a surreal story of the transformation of a man...into something else)

Fahrenheit 451 - by Ray Bradbury. (A future vision where books are illegal, and firemen are there to set fires)

Grimm's Fairy Tales - You can't go more classic, and these are the non-disneyfied versions (This means that they are not all as sparkly as they appear because of disney. It happens that the evil step-mother has to dance until she dies in red-hot iron shoes, in Snow White. Of course, this is just one version, and there are many other versions of such fairy tales.)

Romeo and Juliet - by William Shakespeare (do I even have to mention that?)

--

These are all I can think of right now.

18. Harbourboy

I have decided to read the following:

"The Last of the Mohicans" - James Fenimore Cooper

"The Grapes of Wrath" - John Steinbeck

I couldn't build up enough motivation for Moby Dick this year, sorry. But these two should see me through the holiday period, after which, in 2005 it will be back to the various Salvatore, Hobb, and Erikson fantasy series I'm in the middle of.

19. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

/me cheers for Grapes of Wrath

20. Newfie Banned

I highly recommend " The Catcher in the Rye" by J D Salinger.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.