1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What class are you going to play first?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Marceror, Sep 10, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Aasimar paladin, of course. ;) Probably going to play it till the end, but might want to take a prestige class. Could also start as a generic human but I'd rather go aasimar.

2. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

PDF files of the manuals in various languages have become available online. After reading through it I'm really getting overwhelmed by possibilities. Both Arcane Trickster and Shadow Thief of Amn look very cool. Druids are getting some new abilities and spells which make them look very fun too. Hmmm...

3. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Anyone know what is the max lvl in NWN2?

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    All of you guys who are so looking forward to the new races and classes are invited to take part in the contest. ;)

@Melhisedek: I think 20, but don't kill me if I'm wrong. There are no epic levels, so not above 20, and there are prestige classes and stuff like running your stronghold and all, so I think it's going to be capped at 20, while you won't likely hit the XP limit during the campaign. So, all in all, my guess would be 20 as the limit and something like level 17 that you actually achieve.

5. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    <Slight Spoiler in this post, really slight, but thought I'd mention it anyhow>

Well, I got the game yesterday, but due to a crazy schedule have still yet to only clock in about 10 minutes. Those 10 minutes were enough to meet Amy and Bevil, a wizard and fighter, respectively (that was the slight spoiler, btw). So, in the interest of party balance I have a hard time considering my eldritch knight for my first time through. I'm suddenly feeling compelled to play a healer or a rogue type character to have the classic balanced 4 person D&D party. Since Amy and Bevil seem to be my character's childhood friends, I'm thinking it will be only right to keep them through the duration of the game.

Hmm, an Aasimar cleric might be fun! Okay, son to bed soon, then play time... finally! :)

6. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

barb zerker, weilding a 2hander. Destruction is at hand :) .

7. Darkstrike Gems: 5/31

I have clocked in about two hours and I love it. Spend a half hour as a Human Warlock but the warlock is a bit confusing to play so I started another game with a Duergar Fighter who I am going to make into a Dwarven Defender. However a Monk with a few levels of sorcerer or bard could become one powerful character if you go with the Red Dragon Disciple prestige class as it gives +8 to strength at level 10 of the prestige and another great bunch of bonuses. This game has many good twist so far and I love the fact that when you are a different type of race the conversations change dramatically. So great!

8. David Falkayn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Just ran a Human Warlock through the tutorial. From what I saw from this admittedly brief exposure, I have a feeling this class is going to be a favorite of powergamers. The eldritch strike packs a mean wallop and add in some other nice abilities, this class makes one mean fellow.

9. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

SPOILER********************

@Marceror
    Don't bother. You can't take A&B out of the tutorial. Also, there is a feat that will allow you to gain cross-training skills on a point-per-point basis. My sorcerer has no trouble with traps and locks.

10. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Eep!! Appreciate that head's up Bombur! I guess I just need to figure out what I want to play and stick with it.

11. Boy at a busstop Gems: 5/31

My first run through is with the class I love best, a bard.

I'm lvl 5 currenly and I'm going to add some RDD next level.
    The play through is great, I just hope I get a cleric soon, cause I go through healing potions fast and I don't want to spent my spell slots on healing...

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You do realize, healing potions are only necessary during combat? Whenever you rest, you are brought to full health.

13. Boy at a busstop Gems: 5/31

I know, but Neeshka always manages to die...

I find the targetting system frustrating in this game. Kelghar is in melee with a mob. Neeshka hits with her bow, the monster runs half across the battlefield to get to her. Meanwhile the other monsters are running after Kelghar, who gets sneak attacked to oblivion cause so far most human enemies have rogue classes...

Guess I have to do everything myself :D .

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Really? I haven't had any problems so far with Neeshka or Kelghar. I've just finished up the bandit camp and the graveyard around Fort Locke, so I guess it's still early.

Typically what will happen (other than in the graveyard when my Ranger took up the Bone Phoenix to smash undead mano-a-mano) is Kelghar will attack head-on while my Ranger and Neeshka will shoot with bows. Anything that gets by Kelghar, usually comes after me and I'll switch to a greatsword until I don't have to melee any more.

15. David Falkayn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Also, judicious use of commands or taking them off puppet mode helps. The danger of taking them off puppet mode though is that you really have to be watching everything.

I didn't run into the Bone Phoenix during my run through the graveyard so I had to do it the hard way (ouch...ouch...ouch) Summonses helped quite a bit though (Summon up Dire Badger: "Say Hello to my leeeetle friend")

Kelghar is a nice tank--my dark elf wizard likes him! But you do need to make sure he's properly equipped with plenty of potions--same with Neeshka--generally they're pretty good about using healing potions when they need to.

On another, slightly related note, I'm having problems figuring out where all the Neeshka hate is coming from. She's performed quite well for me so far and her and Kelghar have some pretty funny banter--they don't seem to like each other, do they? I wonder if it's her voice acting/character that's turning people off--she definitely gives off the 'teen sidekick' vibe.

Returning more to the topic at hand, running a drow wizard is an interesting experience. The slow level-up definitely handicaps you spellwise. I've found that Ihave to rely on her natural attributes--especially create darkness--that has been a lifesaver for me on more than one occasion. Also, the game has spawned some interesting--and often fun--dialogue.

In any event, it's an interesting crew I'm running here: A drow, a tiefling, and a dwarf walk into a bar together... ;)

16. Boy at a busstop Gems: 5/31

Ofcourse I can switch to puppet mode and control them directly, but I don't want to micromanage every wimpy combat. The hard battles alright.

I just wish the AI wasn't so silly... Why does a mob run half across the map cause the rogue did 5 damage, while there's a cranky dwarf at knee height doing 20...

Everyone is running around more then they are actually fighting, which is silly...

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Interesting... I don't really see that in my game. Anyone trying to break away from Kelghar gets an AoO on themselves and turns right back. The only time I have to worry is when there are enough enemies to get by both Kelghar and my Ranger.

Pretty rare, and when it does happen, I just attack the ones on Neeshka first.

18. Boy at a busstop Gems: 5/31

Ah, but it does happen, only your Kelghar has more luck on the dice.

My point about the AI is, why does the mob try to go after Neeshka? Why do the archers and mages target the fighters?

Wouldn't it be more efficient if the ranged picked off the other ranged attackers? I seem to make short work of enemies that way, why doesn't the computer?

19. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Fighters are more dangerous to spell slingers and archers in close because ranged attacks and spells provoke AoOs when a fighter gets in close. And they are usually pretty weak in melee so go down quick.

Unless a melee creature present is far more dangerous, I immediately go straight for the spell casters with my melee people and then go for the ranged attackers.

20. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm an Arsehole paladin or something like that (might be Aasimar). Blonde hair, red eyes, looks a bit like a poof. I think I'll be starting the game again once I'm familiar with everything

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.