1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What can you say about the President of the United States?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by LKD, May 22, 2012.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The metrics for most (trade)unions are a very low standard the worker needs to meet to keep his/her job. It is definitely NOT job performance, as in a guy who goes above and beyond, that keeps his job in the trade industries. Showing up for work everyday is not really a measurement of job performance as it is attendance only.

UPS is a different monster altogehter. Those guys do work hard and work long hours as well. Not sure how their union works though. At USPS on the other hand, it is in your best interest NOT to work hard as their is no reward for hard work other than bad feet and carpal-tunnel.....

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The thing is that teaching is a very difficult thing to measure. It's an art as much as a science. Happy students don't necessarily mean good teaching is occurring. POd students ALSO don't mean that bad teaching is occurring. And vice versa on both of the above.

The understandable desire to evaluate teachers can lead to "drive by evaluations" that do not take important components of the situation into account.

This teacher, for example, was caught on what is probably the worst day of her professional career. While it is easy to say that she's an uninformed idiot, we have no record or data on how she's done over the last several years of her career. We merely have a 9 minute snapshot in time.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What is the goal of teaching? To produce students who have learned something.

Within an individual school it could be as simple as the principal giving tests to students at the start of the year before they've learned the upcoming material and then at the end of the year when they should have learned it, and judging the teacher on the improvement shown. As a bonus the initial test could be used to decide if some students know enough already to move on to the next grade level, or should be placed in some more advanced class.

Obviously it gets more complicated when trying to judge schools against one another, but I'm sure something could be done. The LA Times did a report on this a while back and there are objective methods available, but at least in California, the unions will have nothing to do with anything like objective performance determinations for teachers.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That is one of the least bad ways of evaluating. It still has plenty of problems. First, how much can a test measure? Secondly, I have yet to meet a principal who has the knowledge of the different subjects to be able to create a relevant test or the time to check through them and thirdly it doesn't fully take into account the students' ability to learn. There are plenty of students who learn lots just by being given a text book and the teacher can't really take much credit and there are students that don't seem to learn whatever the teacher does. Fourthly, pretty soon the teachers will know what is on the test and unless the tests are huge we would quite easily be able to focus solely on teaching for the test.

As for advancing them, we are doing something similar now but the problem would be if a student maybe reaches a C on the "pre-test" but really wants and A. They have the knowledge already to pass the course but not to ace it. What to do with those?

Obviously it couldn't be for individual schools, that would be horribly unfair to all involved. That system would need a complete state/government backed program to give the same test to all students starting the same course. It would be quite expensive, are you willing to spend that much money teachers? It would basically be having someone else do and be paid for the job teachers are already being, poorly, paid.

These are just the most obvious problems with what is admittedly one of the least bad ideas I have heard about but I can still see why the teachers' union are negative. Nice to see some constructive ideas though.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What other objective criteria for measurnig learning would you suggest?

The principal would be responsible; if he/she didn't have the capability then some people could be hired to do it. You only need two tests a year per class.

Obviously there would be statistics involved in averaging over the number of students in the class, so the bad learners and great learners average out overall.

The tests should be changed every time they are given (twice a year), so the teachers wouldn't know the exact content.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

We have these tests here in Alberta. They are called Provincial Achievment Tests for grades 3, 6, 9 and in Grade 12 the final exams are known as Diploma exams.

As was mentioned, what can one test measure? Multiple choice is good and all but there's some things it can't measure. Essay tests measure other things but they also can't measure everything, and they take a HELLUVA long time to mark with anything close to reliability, fairness, and accuracy. How do you use these sorts of tests to measure speaking skills? Presentation skills? It gets dicey.

Plus, many factors outside the teachers' control can come into play. The socioeconomic and cultural makeup of the school and class are huge factors in student success.

The Diploma exams here are mandatory for core academic classes. They count for 50% of the students' final grades. Let me tell you, quite often teachers end up "teaching to the test", not in a dishonest way, but we spend a lot of time looking at released exams from the past and working toward having our students be able to tackle the kinds of tasks that have been thrown at students before.

In a nutshell, it's not that easy, and professionals (and parents!) have been struggling for decades if not centuries trying to determine the best way to instruct and evaluate students. The debate isn't going to end anytime soon.

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I see; so in the meantime it's best just not to make any attempt at measurement.

No method of performance measurement in any field is perfect, but just about everyone outside the pubilc sector has figured out something, and realizes something is better than nothing.

8. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Le sigh. There are measurements in place -- teacher reviews and such by administration. But they are usually only invoked if the administration is out to hose the teacher over. It's a method of laying a paper trail to intimidate the teacher into leaving. It's quite subjective. But there are efforts to evaluate teachers, and I have to concede some of them are done in good faith.

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Sorry, I'm always thinking of California specifically since our schools are horrendous yet the teacher's unions will not agree to any proposed objective performance measurement method.

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am horribly intrigued that me and LKD who live in completely different parts of the world who hold WILDLY different views on just about everything can have such very similar experiences and complaints about the teaching job. It leads me to believe that we are maybe not barking up the wrong tree...

11. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

As someone who has just recently come out of school I find it hard to believe you could evaluate the quality of a teacher through a test. My two favorite teachers, and who I thought were the best in the school, didn't always teach by the book or what was strictly in the curriculum. They made you interested and made you think, and that has to count for something. One of them was very friendly to his students and motivated even the most lazy person to participate. There are things you just can't measure in a teacher and it isn't fair to penalize them just because some other teacher sticks to the basics just so their students will do good on a test as opposed to actually learning and caring.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    +1

Geez, I thought BTA was an American citizen. We did EXACTLY what BTA suggests in the US - giving a test at the beginning and end of the year to assess improvement. It's the primary means of measure in "No Child Left Behind". Remember that?

The problem is exactly what joacqin points out - teachers then teach to the test. Students actually learn LESS than before, because subjects not covered in the test are given short shrift during the year.

NCLB tested Reading, Math, and Science. So schools geared their curriculum to those three subjects, and greatly reduced the amount of time spent teaching things like history, social studies, spelling, composition writing, and health, to name just a few. If it's not on the test, it's not taught in the classroom. While I'll be the first to admit that I think Reading Comprehension, Math, and Science are very important, all those other subjects being "left behind" actually reduces what the child learns during the year.

13. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm curious as to why "teaching to the test" is so horrible. Doesn't it make sense that the "test" covers the curriculum that the students are supposed to know? Is the concern that electives will get shorted as people focus on the "test"? If so, I'm OK with that. Electives by definition are optional. If someone wants to learn how to draw, they can join an after school art class.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    History, composition, health, etc. are electives? Where did you go to school?

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Then the problem is a test that is not comprehensive and known to the teachers: an obvious flaw. If the teachers don't know what is going to be tested other than what is on the curriculum, then how can they teach to the test?

Do you not think that a teacher who gets the students to engage and enjoy learning will get them to learn?

16. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    That is my point. All of those are required classes so if they are teaching to the test aren't they teaching what you need to know about all of them. I don't see what is being left out by teaching to the test.

17. joacqin

Media:
    We have national tests in English, Math and Swedish and I am very fond of the one I do in English. It gives me something to lean on in my grading of the students. Although the test is new every year I know exactly what they are asking for and I am teaching to the test. That works fine in English though as the test is divided into four parts: The ability to communicate by speaking and writing and the ability to understand spoken and written English.

Much harder to make a single test to check everything in a history or social science course. The main problem is as has been pointed out before, not all knowledge can be tested in a test. The ability to argue a point? To gather information from different sources, the ability to evaluate different sources. Facts are a small part of school nowadays.

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Certainly all that is true. But as I said, some method of objective performance measurement is necessary to give incentive, reward good performance and be rid of the dead wood. Even if the method has flaws, it doesn't have to be static; if something is not working make adjustments, but have something other than seniority and tenure.

As an aside, tenure seems to be a bad idea. I've seen a lot of stories about professors doing so much good work to get tenure and then just sit on their laurels once they have it. I don't even undertsand the point of tenure at any level other than a university.

19. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    In my opinion, a teacher should teach the students some basic facts, motivate them to do further reading on their own, and teach them to distinguish between good and bad sources.

The problem is that it is a lot easier to measure whether a teacher has tought his or her students the facts (Grammar: Can they read and write?; Mathematics: Can they perform simple calculations?; etc.) than it is to measure whether they have learned to study more on their own. (Have they read any books outside the school curriculum? Which books? And did they comprehend the books, or did they just read the words?)

Which is why tests too often measure whether the students have learned the curriculum and too rarely whether they have learned to learn more.

Calvin & Hobbes just rock! :D

[​IMG]

20. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

They were all part of the standard class regimen where I went to school. Basically we HAD to take English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies(various History classes) and Gym(health was part of gym, 4 weeks of the year you spent in class learning about health). The "electives" were Languages(French, Spanish or Latin), Art, Music, Computers or a part-time Vocational/Technical program at the county Vo-Tech school. I actually choose the Tech option of "Computer Maintenance".

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.