1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What can be pickpocketed?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Warston, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Warston Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've done a search and the main thing seems to be Jemeliah's luck stone, which is a good find.
    I play in HOF, but I'd be willing to try normal again to see what I get from whom. Pickpocketing in HOF just seems to continually fail.

Is there a list somewhere of who has what? Apparently Ulbrec and Ulbrec's wife each have something.

2. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

You can save a good chunk of coin by pickpocketing a flask of Braehg during Prologue from the guy that sells those. The only notable loot available via pickpocketing that I know of is a +2 CHA ring from the emissary in the Monastery.

midolinho and Warston like this.
  3. Warston Gems: 2/31

Thanks. Yes, I forgot about the guy at the monastery. It's a pity there isn't a list somewhere. The things you can pickpocket in IWD are quite well known and all useful.

4. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    There's the lucky nuk (I think) in Targos

5. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

You can pickpocket belladona from Illium, too. At least, I have.

---------- Added 4 hours, 7 minutes and 40 seconds later... ----------

I pickpocketed Ennelia outside of the Palisade (I think I once got something off of Braston, too, but I might be confused). I have also pickpocketed Ven as well as Nonin in the Monastery. I have pickpocketed Zama (the cleric in the duergar fortress). I believe I pickpocketed several members of the Dragon's Lair, level 4 (the time loop), but I can't remember who or what I got off of them.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if one could pickpocket many different individuals in the Hand; I don't remember trying to do it there. So many of the quests there revolve around special items that specific individuals hold.

Thanks for mentioning Guthewulfe, Sir Rechet. It never occured to me to try to pickpocket him for whatever reason, and that early in the game, the price of braehg is pretty expensive. A walk-through I just read mentioned you can pickpocket the Wolf Charm off of him too, but I honestly think the experience that is gained by winning the drinking contest with him is worth more than the Charm itself.

6. Sir Rechet

Yeah, it's kinda odd that you'll most likely want to reload if you manage to snitch the charm instead of the flask out of his hands. :D

7. Warston Gems: 2/31

After a more thorough search it seems there is a lot that can be pickpocketed - some quite good. This links to Duncan Clay's guide at GameFAQs:
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/552350-icewind-dale-ii/faqs/59335
    I hope it's Ok to post the link.
    Anyway, in HOF pickpocket seems to always fail. I always add a character holding Ned's Lucky Nucky at the start of each game as I legitimately pickpocketed the item in normal mode one time. My guess is that the items listed can be pickpocketed on a run-through in normal mode -I've yet to try though.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
    SlickRCBD likes this.
  8. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

That's a useful FAQ in a number of ways. I didn't realize, for instance, that I would recieve more XP for waiting until I'd explored more of the Ice Temple before I reported to Zack. I usually entered the Ice Temple, poked around for a couple of minutes, and came back and reported to him to get the XP reward--which apparently was the minimal XP reward (looks like it is less than half of what I could recieve from him if I'd explore more of the temple).

I still suspect there are more items to be pickpocketed than merely the items listed in this FAQ (which is still pretty extensive). I'm specifically thinking about all the NPCs in the Hand.

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Useful, and gets most of the major items, but almost everybody in Targos can be pick pocketed for minor treasure. There are some people impossible to pick pocket without save scumming, but there is some good loot in the Healer's area that doesn't appear to be in that guide for instance.
    Unfortunately, they are virtually impossible to pick pocket without save scumming. I've tried cheating and it doesn't help. A thief with 20 dexterity, and 20 points in pick pockets who drank a potion of master thievery, potion of insight, and potion of perception (I used Dale Keeper 2) still seems to fail just as often as a level 2 thief with 5 pick pockets and 16 dex.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  10. Jamesworkshop Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

aside from a few areas pickpocket can be ignored as their isn't really any negative outcomes to killing most npcs when leaving a chapter

11. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    In which case you need to make your party of evil alignment or there is a bug.

12. Jamesworkshop Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

nah pretty much only run good for holy word purposes. must for paladin mix-ins

I got a fallen paladin once in the original non EE IWD but alignment loss just doesn't seem to have ever been part of IWD2

just before the airship to chapter 5 you can backtrack all the way to the valley crash before the ice temple and wipe most things out.

Targos will turn hostile so you largely can't there but you can finger of death on Jemeliah and get the lucky knucky.

Duegar and Black raven monastery can both be destroyed once you get the quest exp from them.

13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:

Those should all be chaotic evil acts, maybe a neutral evil character can get away with it, but anyone of non-evil alignment would not do such acts.
    I would have doubted a lawful evil character doing that, but look at the bladelings in Neverwinter Nights 2, and they are supposed to be lawful evil.
    I'm sure they are firmly in the evil category however.
    Why would you reload when you can pickpocket both from him? Just pick pocket, save if successful, and then make another attempt. If you fail, reload.
    Several people have several items to pickpocket.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  14. Sir Rechet

Because if you pickpocket the amulet from him, you can no longer challenge him in the hold-your-braehg contest for it and lose quest experience for doing that.

15. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    So pickpocket after the challenge. In P&P it would be even more logical since you'd want to have your face talk to him as a distraction and afterwards he'd be drunk and have penalties to his spot checks.

Sir Rechet likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.