1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What are your stats?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Hassassin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

@Aldeth

Why being so depressive ? Take 2 months leave, swing a warhammer 4 hours a day, study for another 4 ... and let's see what happens. The only problem is, that they would probably recommend you to visit a psychologist, if you state in your professional CV, that additionally to extensive knowledge on field of C++ in both Win32/64 and Unix systems you are able to fight with two long swords :D .

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Hassassin

LOL!

It wouldn't be two longswords though - it would be my Mallet O' Thinking

And the saddest part of all this is I actually do actively live out a fantasy life.

I'm a member of the Adrian Empire, which features the culture and fighting styles of the Middle Ages. While most people choose weapons such as axes and shields for fighting - not me. I dual wield katanas - and I'm not even joking here. The katanas have 10 inch (about 22 cm) hilts with 38 inch (about 80 cm) blades. Needless to say, in fights, I'm all offense.

I'm not a sword saint though - I wear armor. I can't afford full plate mail armor - the stuff starts around $5,000 (U.S.) for a full set, and with a family to support that's well out of my price range. Instead, I wear plate armor with a coat of chain mail underneath. The plate armor is much, much cheaper, but unfortunately, it doesn't cover you well at the joints - like the shoulders, knees, elbows, etc. So that's what you need the chain mail underneath for. We don't use blunted or fake weapons, so it goes without saying you don't want to have any part of your bare skin exposed, so without full plate mail (which has interlocking plates for full protection) an undercoat of chain mail is rather necessary...

3. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Intelligence
    Recalling from 1st edition DMG, each point of intelligence is supposed to equate to 10 points IQ: 18 intelligence = 180 IQ. Now, if you roll 3D6, you get 18 intelligence 1 time in 216. However, far fewer than 1 person in 216 has 180 IQ (it's Einstein level). There are four chances in 216 to get 17 INT or better from 3D6 or approx. 2%. An IQ of 140 puts you in the top 2%, so if someone has an IQ of 140, they can legitimately claim an intelligence of 17. Given that, I upgrade my INT to 18. Hell, I'd make a FINE mage. :cool:

4. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

>>Dendri is a bit of a social butterly, and Hassassin can pump iron with me any time he wants, but other than that we're a bunch of weakling, intelligent, introverts.<<

@ Aldeth

:p
    Come now. If I wouldnt mix in with the hedonistic folks during the weekend, the cruelty of Joneleth & the Matron Mothers would really get to me. :D Its about balance.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Dendri - What I said was definitely meant as a complement - geez - we all need phsychotherapy after the whole Irenicus thing.

@ Chris - So you're going by percentage here? Hmmm... By that logic, 0.5% of the population (with a roll of 18 in strength) is able to lug around 320 pounds of equipment without a problem - I doubt it's anywhere near that high.

Your analysis has merit and since your I.Q. is probably higher than mine (I have never found out what it is) a score of 16 seems reasonable. That having been said, I don't feel comfortable raising mine any higher than what it is, and ceratainly not to 17. I definintely don't have an IQ anywhere near 170, even if I am in the top 2% of the population.

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] hmm.... my stat average is 10.3

I'd probably be a mage/thief or a bard. (In my own ruleset I am a psionic/assassin)

According to Chris - would I have intelligence of 16 then? It seems to high. After all, I'm just little o' 8people :wave:

I'd probably be slaughtered if I went out adventuring, I'd probably need to go out on a quest with Aldeth and Hassassin to try and stay alive :lol:

7. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] @ Aldeth

I wasnt offended, you know.
    And like 8peeps my survival during adventuring would depend on the presence of more powerful warriors like you. So, no hard feelings. ;)

8. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Here's me being as honest as I can: :D

Strength: 12-14
    2.5 years in the army did a lot for my strength. I can lift quite heavy weights though I've never actually found the maximum load I can bench.

Constitution: 15+
    This is where I focus most of my training. I can run for hours and my endurance for pain and discomfort is nothing to scoff at.

Dexterity: 12
    I've fairly fast hands and am capable of pretty deft tasks. Also, I'm quite a good shot with a rifle, indicating at least an average dexterity.

Intelligence: Above 10
    I've never had a formal IQ test before so I can't give a very fair answer. But, I'm definitely brighter than most of my moronic peers and I'm able to pick up new skills swiftly. I study literature but have no problem comprehending scientific logic if I have to. Basic philosophy is not beyond my grasp, so it's definitely above a 10! :p

Wisdom: 12 (formerly 6)
    In the last few years, I've learnt a great deal of the art of detached empathy in which the emotions of others can be understod and manipulated for personal benefit. :evil:

Charisma: 8 for social purposes, 14 for manipulation. :evil:
    I prefer to remain in the background but an unspoken suggestion here and a hinted premise there from me can wreck absolute havoc in the relationships of those around me! Great fun! Lessee: I've ruined two romances with a couple of rumors that simply cannot be traced back to me as the originator, turned a catholic into an atheist without any direct verbal confrontation and caused a schism and feud within my own family b/w two relatives I detest! :evil:
    Manipulation works better than violence at times!
    And still everyone regards me as the 'nice but quiet' guy! Wheee!

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Let's give this my best shot:

Str-12
    I'm no bodybuilder, but I can outlift most people that are and I don't crumple easily under significant weight (I'm frequently carrying 150lbs. of books around campus).

Dex-10
    I can be a little clumsy if I start to get fatigued, but I'm also pretty quick on my feet and have a good reaction time.

Int-16
    Currently at the top of my class at one of the top universities in the world paired up with a 153 IQ.

Wis-10
    Don't really know how to judge this one, so I'll give myself the average. It's probably a slightly low estimate.

Con-16
    I've got better endurance than most athletes, I never get sick, and I'm more or less immune to most drugs.

Cha-15
    A few ladies may say this is a bit low, but hey. I tend to be able to make friends with just about everyone and am usually pretty easy to get along with. I'm incredibly extroverted, and seem to be able to get away with most social faux paus without any real consequences.

That's an average of ~13.2. Guess that means I've got an inflated self-image then.

10. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What I think my stats would be are:

Strength: 10
    I'm not weak, but I'm definately not strong either. I'm about in the middle of the class in my weight lifting class in most areas.

Constitution: 12
    I very rarely get ill, my wounds seem to heal faster than anyone else's I know, and I can do a lot of activity before getting tired.

Dexterity: 14
    I have very quick reflexes, and superb hand-eye coordination. I play catcher for the baseball team I play on, so that might help a little bit with that.

Intelligence: (going by 10xIQ) 17
    When I took the IQ test three years ago, I received a score of 172. I also get things very quickly, understand almost everything that I read, even advanced physics and calculus even though I've never seen any of it before.

Wisdom: 14
    I am, according to everyone that knows me, very perceptive and give wonderful advice. I also have great common sense and a certain knack for being able to "read" people's emotions, even when they just give a salutation.

Charisma: 4
    I am, shall we say, extremely ugly and I don't pronunciate my words when I talk, it would seem. I also have the tendency to push people away and have, in effect, no friends.

That's slightly below an average of 12. Slightly above average self-image for myself. Shocking.

11. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Soubriquet!

Don't be so freakin down on yourself!

Did you know that the more confident you feel (like force yourself to be confident), it will reflect in yourself, and make a change.

Basically, you can be ugly, but if you walk around like it ain't even a thing to you, it'll be on you in a good way!

A dude could be so ugly, and yet be attractive for real (because of his confidence)! Look at Jermaine Dupri! He has got to be the ugliest person in Georgia! And he is dating freakin Janet Jackson!

One day after work I was feeling so lousy, and I don't think I shaved that day, so I felt and looked like garbage. But I decided that I would hold my head high as if I shaved and felt the way I wanted to feel (even though I just wanted to stay in bed for 46 hours), and it changed my day and even girls was scopin' me that day too (As God as my witness no word of a lie,...I'm not sayin this for my ego, I'm sayin it for all those folk who have never tried going against their bad feelings)

Dude don't be so down on yourself man!

To all high school kids on here who feel they don't have decent charisma. Let me tell you something: You might feel ugly and ish right now, but trust me, I've seen the ugliest people in high school become the best looking young adults ever! I'm 25 now, and I beleive I've seen it more than once! I see it in myself, and even more than that, I've seen it in girls (and dudes also--but obviously I look at girls more) also! Yes indeed!

@ Aldeth

My dexterity is good, my wisdom is good because I take advice which proves to be infallible, and when I want to study something, I will get it. Whereas school never really interested me (till the last few days before exams)

12. JamesT Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

This is too cool. I knew I loved coming to this site for a reason.

STR-10
    I have almost no body fat and am quite toned. I am also no beef-cake. I can max bench 230 LBS. only once. I work out with 140-180 regularily. Average, I say.

WIS-15
    I am a leader of men in my vocation. And my people like me... I think. Not because I'm nice. But, because I have empathy, and I can make decisions on the fly that are usually decent. And benefit most involved.

INT-14
    I have taken many I.Q. tests and have clocked between 139-157. I have a knack (like most here) to catch on quick and remember things in a most uncanny way.

DEX-9
    I may be somewhat fit but I feel.... old, sometimes. I can bend and do things if I have to, but I would like to avoid it, if I can.

CON-11
    I rarely get sick. My metabolism is so high that booze doesn't stand a chance in me. Drugs(medication), are out of me as quick as they go in. I hate even taking aspirin anyway

CHA-8
    (funny how charisma ia always last)
    I wasn't overtly popular in school. I make really good first impressions and am excellent in the verbal field. Especially in a formal business atmosphere. I'm good looking, I think. But not a dream-boat(does that phrase still apply?). I am an introvert at parties and in general. I'm too rigid and anal-retentive to get too close to.

WOW! I never needed therapy before but I would like to think I got it pretty close. 11.1 still puts me with society at large. I would make a lousy mage with a bloated self-esteem problem.

This was fun!

13. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

To explain my stats beforehand: I'm almost a black belt in taekwondo, I work out and I am in the last grade of the highest level of high school in my country. I don't really have a great social life and I'm emotionally unstable, but the stats won't reflect on that much.

Strength 14 - I work out, but I'm never really benchpressing. We have a machine that looks like it and I can lift 80kg ten times. That's about 175lbs I think. (I'm certainly stronger than Nalia though :rolleyes: )

Dexterity 13 - I'm not really fast when it comes to running. I'd say it's about average. I am however quite flexible, have good hand-eye and pretty good feet-eye coördination (due to taekwondo). I also have pretty good relfexes.

Constitution 11 - My stamina is just about average. I can endure pain better than almost everyone of my age that I know. And I'm rarely ever sick.

Intelligence 16 - I don't really know my IQ as most tests have different maximum scores. I did two official ones (significantly apart in time) and on one I scored 142 out of 150 and on another I scored 163 out of 176 (but it was in English, so that's a disadvantage for me, I don't get the language questions). They once investigated that I'm in the top 1%, so judging from that I should give myself 17/18.

Wisdom 10 - I think I'm pretty wise (responsible, smart) and I tend to do a lot of philosofing (sp?). However I don't know any lore and I don't really follow the news.

Charisma 8 - According to other people this would probably be higher. I'm not really ugly and I can lead a group. I don't feel good about myself however, am shy and really don't like to lead (I hate to be the center of attention). But when I talk to people they almost always listen.

Average 12 - Call me an inflated ego if you want, but just keep in mind that the things I really really suck at are not in BG.

I think the reason the players are all pretty smart has to do with the RPG we play. Most less smart people think it is too much hassle to be thinking so much in a game. They just prefer raw action. We however want to be intelectually challenged.

Edit:
    I just thought of a reason for my high (average) scores: I have been comparing myself with my peers, which are 17-year-olds, so I would probably score lower if I would compare myself to adults.
    I also forgot to add a class. Well, given my stats I could be most things, but I wouldn't really be great at anything. Well, maybe sorcerer if I had the innate ability to cast spells (but that goes for everyone). I would probably be a pretty good mage. High int and above average phisical abilities. Monk would be nice too, but I'm afraid I would not really be fit to be an adventurer fighter.

[ November 07, 2003, 10:03: Message edited by: Menion Leah ]

14. Grandalf the Green Sorcerer Gems: 5/31

Aye, had to put this one up=)
    Howcome you haven't thought about ALIGMENTS here people!?
    I'd be like Chaotic Good or Neutral Evil :D

Strenght: 7
    I can do some muscular training, but the many hours in my past and present time had their taxes.. I can see the "muscle" get downwards when I use them :D

Dexterity: 10
    Average, but not over.. But i'm sucky at dodging fists and anything whatsoever, since I nearly never fight :D good climber though

Constitution: 5
    Sigh, I get sick all the time, Flu, fewer, throat aches.. you name it..and offcourse I have onesort of trauma on my childhood, thus I nearly faint when I see great/average amounts of blood :)

Intelligence: 8 on things I don't care, 16 on interesting things

Everything I find boring (which is nearly everything:) ) they go from ear to ear, a blank spot of my brain, thus to oblivion. BUT, things that I find interesting, they stay in there for like a lifetime even if I read 'em once and so on.. :) but otherwise i'd morelike tend towards 8 :)

Wisdom: 12
    Trying to learn all the time as I live, and I'm pretty symphatethic dude=) trying to help my friends in need etc. but when going to mathemathic thingies.. sigh.. 3 :)

Charisma: 15
    I'm not handsome, but I find myself always makin' a merry laugh with the ladies and otherwise keep myself out of any violent -based situations =)
    and sometimes can change person's views on things, like stop hating someone etc. etc. But RARELY use it to strive my own things :)
    I'm lazy, but not selfish.. (okay okay, maybe sometimes=)

But I wanna know some Aligments darn it! =)

:edit:
    INT: 6
    Forget lots of things, sometimes brains don't function at all.. Too much halfling weed I tell you! =D

[ November 07, 2003, 13:31: Message edited by: Grandalf the Green Sorcerer ]

15. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

These are based on the assumption that 10 is average:
    STR:12
    DEX:5 (If i run, my own feet stop me)
    CON:6(In purpose of stamina/illness) (15 in purpose of handling pain and hits)
    INT:15 (By the logic Chris uses 17 or 18) (7 in the measure of memory... now where did i put my head...?)
    WIS:14
    CHA:6 (14 in purpose of manipulation, 18 when measuring mental power)

To a total of 9,6 (+ that damage reduction)
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Stats would be different in 3rd ed, and much different in Ars Magica. :D

EDIT: %#$€£ Typos...

[ November 07, 2003, 13:42: Message edited by: Taza ]

16. Grandalf the Green Sorcerer Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] Oh yeah, was Neutral Evil or Chaotic Neutral the Madman?

I tend towards the madman sometimes, atleast according to my friends ;) :roll:

17. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Interesting topic and thread. Let's see how I fare.

STR: 14 (based on the "Nalia has 14 STR" comment)
    My job requires a substantial amount of lifting and moving. I don't know what I can bench (and for that matter don't really care), but I'd be hard pressed to find something during the normal course of my day that I could not lift and/or move if necessary.

INT: 16
    Straight-A student (many years ago) and am known to be a font of some of the most trivial pieces of knowledge. No expert in any one particular thing, but well versed in a number of fields. I'm a quick study in nearly everything I'm exposed to or set my mind to learning and understanding.

WIS: 16
    If we're going to use common sense as a measure for WIS, then I have FAR too much common sense for my own, or anyone elses, good. I am, by training, a counselor and advisor. I am sensitive (perhaps too much) to peoples feelings and needs.

DEX: 10
    I'm not clumsy, but I have been known to not be the gracest of foot on occasion. I am, though, incredibly good with my hands and I've got pretty good eye-hand coordination. Hmmm May have to reevaluate this one.

CON: 17
    This is actually a tough one to answer. I don't get sick (course now that I've said that...), I can hold alcohol a lot better than most my size (and I'm no rail), and it takes a lot to put me down and out. Military and school got me adapted to minimal amounts of sleep (though I have been known to go on sleeping binges) and drugs (legal and otherwise) do not affect me... at least outwardly. All that being said, I also smoke like a chimney in December, eat all the wrong foods (when I actually think about eating), and exercise minimally at best. I take punches without flinching (much) and seem to tap into hidden energy reserves when called for. Thoughts on this one?

CHA: 16 (10 if you use physical beauty as the sole gauge)
    Without a doubt I have always gotten what I wanted, whether it be through persuasion or coercion. Without too much effort, I am able to bend people to my way of thinking. I can stir up a crowd or calm a crowd, depending on the situation. I was a class officer in school; a leader in the military; and a leader in my current job. Similar to what someone said earlier, people will regularly approach me for just about anything: ask directions, a light, etc. Interesting in the fact that I am the definition of an introvert. Parties and medium to large social functions bore me to tears and drain me. All that being said, I do not consider myself physically attractive (though I'm no ogre/troll/whatever). It's pretty unlikely that I'll be gracing any magazine covers or get a starring role. Washington DC is probably the most narcissistic city in the world so the Joe Averages and the Joe Above-Averages get lost in the quagmire of those who believe are all that and a bag of chips.

So, just how self-inflated am I?
    14 or 13, depending on which stat combo you choose. I'd make a good bard or cleric. If I could fight from a distance, I'd make a decent archer.

Alignment? That would largely depend on my mood at the time. I see myself as lawful; friends would heavily debate that and probably say chaotic.

18. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Well, to be more accurate, you could try first taking your Int, Wis and Cha down by 10 each... If the average is 10, and you would be around 14?

19. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31

Determining your strength
    You can determine your strength score if you know, or can reliably estimate, the weight you can lift above your head. Rules state that this should be a "military press", but since that's a good way to cripple yourself, snatch is a perfectly acceptable alternative.

Use the following table:
    STR 3 : 10 lbs
    STR 4-5 : 25 lbs
    STR 6-7 : 55 lbs
    STR 8-9 : 90 lbs
    STR 10-11 : 115 lbs
    STR 12-13 : 140 lbs
    STR 14-15 : 170 lbs
    STR 16 : 195 lbs
    STR 17 : 220 lbs
    STR 18 : 255 lbs
    STR 18/01-50 : 280 lbs
    STR 18/51-75 : 305 lbs
    STR 18/76-90 : 330 lbs
    STR 18/91-99 : 380 lbs
    STR 18/00 : 480 lbs

This replaces a formula in 1st ed. AD&D whose full details I can't remember. If you prefer it, this rule said you could lift 10 lbs above your head per point of strength up to 18. Add 1 lb per point of exceptional up to 18/50. Beyond that, I've forgotten. 18/00 still translated to a lift of 480 lbs, however.

The table throws up some interesting observations:
    • Strengths above 16 would appear to be the domain of professional weightlifters and fanatical body builders.
    • 300 lbs is approximately the world female snatch record (I think I could have expressed that better - a 300 lb female snatch doesn't bear thinking about) which means an absolute maximum strength for females of 18/51 - 75.
    • One person in 21,600 could get 18/00 strength with a straight 3D6 roll ( > 2,500 in the UK alone), but 480 lbs is approximately the world snatch record (clean and jerk is quite a lot higher).
    • The table is well out for women. I'm not an exceptionally strong man but I would guess that I'm stronger than nine women in ten, maybe more.
    Given all this, I would probably have to revise my STR estimate to 9 (from 10). But then I think I could up my WIS score - I'd call myself pretty wise (one of the advantages of approaching middle age).

Revised stats:
    STR: 9
    DEX: 9
    CON: 11
    INT: 17
    WIS: 15
    CHA: 9
    AVE: 11.7
    ALIGNMENT: Chaotic Good
    SUMMARY: Mage, specialist Abjurer or dual class cleric to mage. If I got these stats rolling up a BG2 character, I'd try again.

My handsome, slender and vivacious youthful self would have had a significantly higher charisma score. But advancing years, with attendant weight gain and hair loss, have had a negative impact on the slenderness and good looks and I'm not nearly as sociable as I once was.

20. Grandalf the Green Sorcerer Gems: 5/31

@Chris

Actually I think most people over or near middle-age are rather more charismatic in person than they were in youth :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.