1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What are your opinions on the Forgotten Realms?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Azardu, Oct 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Just curious. Do everyone like it? Or are there more souls like me out there, hating or disliking the whole, or parts of, Toril and its inhabitants/NPCs?

2. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, I don't hate the Realms, but do tend to dislike that world. Its basic social/economic structure is pretty nonsensical, which I find annoying but livable. What I really can't stand is the religious system. Gods who are just really powerful mortals are something I just can't stand. Those two things ensure that it is definitely my least favorite published world.

aloha
    Vormaerin

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Without the realms, no really cool adventure games. How can we dislike it? Agree on the amateurish name though.

4. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

I doubt the Realms is what sells D&D computer games. If they had put the resources that FR got into Greyhawk or Krynn or some other such world, I'm sure cool computer games would have been made for them.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

5. Silverblade Guest

I love the Forgotten Realms.

If you dislike the realms so much, do you ever play games like Baldur's Gate 1 or 2?

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You can't not like the Realms and like Tolkien. Or vice versa. FR is basically what Greenwood ripped from Tolkien and sold as his own. (All the foundations anyway.)

But as a very interesting world to me, it is not. Your basic run-of the-mill fantasy setting, where rules are set well enough that when you look at it you can say "yea, this could work". But that's it.

For originality in fantasy, see Planescape. Now there's a setting that doesn't copy itself (too much) from anywhere.

7. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

Wow. Tal, that was a pretty harsh attack on Tolkein there. The Realms in many ways are exactly opposite of the rigorous academic approach to world building that created Middle Earth. The dominant role played by spellcasters in the Realms, the silly gods, the specious sociology, etc all contrast sharply with Tolkein. I'd say that I dislike the Realms precisely because I love Middle Earth.

I never really looked at the Planescape setting for PnP use. I mistakenly associated it with the spelljammer stuff until I picked up PST last year. My loss there, I suspect. There was some interesting ideas in the Dark Sun campaign, too. I'm not sure how well the whole thing went together though. It was advertised essentially as the "supermunchkin setting", so I never really looked at it closely.

The fantasy realm behind the "Empire of the Petal Throne" stuff is well done and original. That would be a fun world to play in.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Attack on Tolkien? You totally missed my point. I love Tolkien but I don't praise FR above everything else. I said Greenwood took the FOUNDATIONS from Tolkien's fantasy world to build FR on. This means the same basic monsters, the same character classes, the same races, the same environment (like the elves having an island to themselves), the same habits (elves not dying but going over seas)... The list goes on for a long time. Or didn't you notice?

Whatever is silly in the Realms is Greenwood's alone, so it's really easy to distinguish the boundaries where copying Tolkien ends and where his originality starts. Not that I'm saying I hate Greenwood, hell no. I'm just saying he's not as original as most of you seem to think. Of course, in order to be able to see this, you must know Tolkien and Greenwood pretty well.

9. Doomfarer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Vormaerin, I actually tried to run a campaign in the world of Tékumel (Empire of the Petal Throne), but man was it hard. In Middle-Earth, FR, Greyhawk etc all players know the basics of society, what creatures to expect and to fear and so on, but in Tékumel?

While it was very interesting to try something vastly different, it got too hard to run since everything had to be explained (usually several times). Encounters were really hard as the players knew nothing about the creatures or different races, and monsters like Chlén, Chnélh or Dnélhu just made them even more confused.

What I did instead was to take some of the world and populate it with Elves, Dwarves, "normal monsters" and so on (kept some of the original races as well). I also dropped most of the weird language for all playable races. This led to a great setting as the society and social values of Tékumel (or rather Tsolyánu) are really different and fun to play.

10. Azardu Gems: 9/31

All the basic monsters and the races are from normal Dungeons and Dragons, so it's more like that's where the ripoff lies. Gygax deserves the credit for that, not Greenwood. :p

Don't anyone else besides me find the realms to be a bit overdeveloped?

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I always liked Greyhawk...Moslty because that's what I grew up with and DM'd in...Gygax gave a great foundation with a very rich, ancient and magical history. You could take that and run with it!

When we played...Each of my friends took an area in Greyhawk that we liked, and tried to develop it, incorporating the modules when they fit. We would rotate DM'ing duties on a monthly basis...and when/if our party moved into an area that one of us was more familiar with.

12. Azardu Gems: 9/31

Greyhawk is fun. Greyhawk doesn't have superheroes with sky high stats running around saving the day.

13. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Is this the 3rd or 2nd edition FR that people dont like? Because IMO it has been vastly improved since 2nd ed. Mainly because Greenwood didnt have as much power over it as before (ie. the new co-authors have more to say than before). And his stupid "Elven Retreat" has been stopped as well. Man, i hated that part. I agree with Tal that he ripped a lot from Tolkien but luckily that has been cut down (not that i dont like Tolkien, but the only place his stuff shoud be used is Middle-Earth (i dont like the world that much and the Middle-Earth roleplaying system is bad IMO (the books are better than the world which is kinda bad)).
    If you dont like the heroes of FR, the solution is simple: Dont use them!

14. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] I don't know too much about the 3ed FR, but I don't like the 2ed at all. It's a very simple (maybe primitive) fantasy world without any creativity and I don't like the FR books expect some of Salvatore's works. I agree with Tal and Vormarein: the most of the wolrd is a brainless copy of Tolkien's work. I will start a 3ed campaign on Midkemia next week (the world of R. E. Feist), there is creativity and innovation in that world. And Firestorm, the Middle-Earth roleplaying game has one of the worst systems I've ever seen...

15. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

Hey, Taluntain, its pretty obvious we agree here, but I was a bit confused by the "you can't dislike the Realms and like Tolkein" comment. Just because two dishes have the same ingredients doesn't mean you have to like them both. :p

Doomfarer, I agree that original worlds are more difficult (whether store bought like Tekumel or homebrewed). Not everyone is willing or interested in learning new stuff.

Silverblade, what makes a good CRPG and what makes a good PnP world are miles apart. The fact that the BG series has you travelling the Sword Coast and Amn instead of the Wild Coast and Keoland is irrelevant. Though Baldur's Gate is a better title than Verbobonc. :D

Firestorm, I haven't really looked at the FRCS or other 3e products for the FR. Maybe its better, but I doubt it. Too many of the basic premises of the world are a bad fit for my tastes.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

16. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Vormaerin, yea, I realized why you misunderstood me when I read it again. I should have been more clear. ;)

Azardu, Greenwood is considered the maker of the Forgotten Realms, not Gygax. You can hardly blame Gygax for anything. Gygax didn't create the Realms, he had his own original worlds.

17. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I don't like FR or its book for that matter. Too pop for my tastes filled with superheroes.

I prefer greyhawk, or even dragonlance 4th age.

18. Azardu Gems: 9/31

Tal: I never said Gygax created Forgotten Realms. I said he created DnD. There's a difference there, as you no doubt are aware of. The reason I mentioned Gygax was because you sort of labeled Greenwood as the one who copied the races and basic monsters from Tolkien, when those in fact are "core DnD", something Gygax, not Greenwood, created. Clear?

19. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

Yes, those races are "core" to D&D. They form the core of the Germano-Celtic mythology that Tolkein based his world one. So 'originality' isn't really something one can attribute to anyone on that topic. Tolkein's genius was in the way he rewrote those archetypes into a great story and great world.

Anyway, the elves of Oerth (Gygax's campaign world) are noticably less 'tolkeinish' than the elves of Greenwood's Realms. For whatever you think that's worth.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

20. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Azardu, Greenwood put all those races and monsters into FR. They're not core anything, they're only core to FR, which was labeled the official setting for 2nd edition, nothing else. Tell me where you can find any of your "core" monsters (or even races) in Planescape for instance. Or Dragonlance. And so on.

Gygax created some of them to being with, but Greenwood is the guy who made them mainstream.

Vormaerin is correct in the fact that nobody here is really original I suppose. You could say that Tolkien copied them too, but that's stupid. He had to do a lot of research into celtic mythology to come up with those races/monsters, and he did virtually create them from scratch since it's not like anyone was using them anywhere before he came up with them.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited October 29, 2001).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.