1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What are the 2 best long swords in the game?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Lord Sarevok, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I was talking about Undead. Undead are also vampires, Skeleton Warriors, Zombies and much more. That creatures can be hit with Daystar and then daystar is better. I know that ALL lichs need +3 or better to hit, so use no Daystar but Flametongue against ALL lichs. I'm not offending Ragusa that you want to support him. I also said in this topic that Ragusa was right when he named the best long swords. The "but" in the topic was to give a hint, that can make the game easier. The hint is not to have only two Long Swords, but some more. For many swords in the game aren't great, exept against some creatures. And when you are not a pure fighter and have only one main hand slot, you can still replace the swords for good occassions. I always have many weapons with me. When I play with Long Sword and I have to fight a dragon, I switch to Dragonslayer. When I am fighting against some vampires, I use Daystar. When I encounter a lich, I switch to Flametongue. What I would say is that you don't need to select one sword for your main hand where you have to fight with the whole time, you can keep many swords for amny situations and the only thing you have to do is to switch to the right weapon at the right situation. When you play that strategy, it's no choice between daystar and flametongue. You use them both... when necassary. And when you use them both, it doesn't matter anymore wich one is better. That depends per situation. Use them both, Daystar at the right moment and Flametongue at the right moment and you are always right.

2. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi,

Oh stop arguing. :)

Its looks like I got an indirect answer to my question. Daystar "does not do what it says on tin". It is only a +2 weapon afterall except for the sunray ability. Correct? Does it still get the double damage against undead?

I have never used it much in melee, apart from a few days ago with Minsc and noticed a lack of the +4 against undead and didnt see any evidence of the double damage (could have missed it though)

Stats on daystar:

THACO: +2 bonus, +4 vs. evil creatures
    Damage: 1D8 +2, +4 vs. evil creatures, does double damage against undead
    Damage type: slashing
    Weight: 2
    Speed Factor: 3
    Proficiency Type: Long sword
    Type: 1-handed
    Requires: 6 Strength
    Not Usable By:
    Druid
    Cleric
    Mage

Good thing I didn't decide to use this as a melee weapon against Kangaxx the first time through!

Of course, maybe undead aren't evil???? :D
    (Yeh right...)

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

[This message has been edited by wittynewt (edited November 17, 2001).]

3. Lord Sarevok Guest

[​IMG] Thanks guys, the sword of balduran and daystar look good together, they both glow! :p

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited November 18, 2001).]

4. Brightblade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

This is sort of on topic and sort of off. I have found it useful to carry around a non-magical version of whatever weapon each of your people useing. This way if a mage pops off a prot. form magical weapons, then you can still hurt him even if you have no prot. removing spells avialiable.

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Witty, I think it is this way:

- Daystar DOES double damage against undead
    - Daystar is always counted as a +2 weapon, Also vs. Evil. You do +4 damage but you cannot hit creatures that need +3 or better to hit.

So my advice was: Kangaxx cannot be hit with it, so use Flametongue and Namarra against Kangaxx, demi-lichs and other creatures that need +4 to hit. But, don't throw Daystar away. There is much undead in the game that canbe killed with a +2 weapon, for example all those vampires. When you fight them, the double damage is better then the damage from Flametongue, so then use Daystar and Namarra.

6. wittynewt Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Hi Headbanger,

Thanks for the reply. Your advice looks good.

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

7. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

[​IMG] Extrmist: I didnt say that ths was the best weapon IMO, I just responded to Mathetais who asked if the Frostbrand sword still existed.

I like the look of a long sword wielder, but there arent enough good ones IMO.

8. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

In my opinion the two best long swords are Adjatha the drinker +2 (immunity to charm and domination, heals one hit point to wielder with each hit) and Dragonslayer(immunity to fear and morale failure, slow regeneration) dualwielded!!!

9. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The above posts baffle me alot, so I check weapon description again, the result is:

Flame Tongue is counted as +1 weapon, and Namarra as +2, Daystar as +2, +4 vs evil creatures.

So, the demilich Kangaxx who needs +4 or above can't be hit by Flame Tongue and Namarra, but if he's detected as evil, he should be hit by Daystar.

But does BG2 obey the rule and do the exact thing? I doubt much. :hmm:

10. wittynewt Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Hi Laksol,

Basically don't always believe what the descriptions say because they are not always clear and due to some bugs they are not always accurate :)

Although it doesn't say so, flametongue appears to get +1, +2 +3 and +4 THACO bonuses against the correct creatures even though it suggests that only a damage bonus would apply. This is exactly the same as the ADnD PNP version in the DM manual.

Daystar appears to only be a +2 weapon for all creatures and the +4 vs evil does not work except for damage. It still does double damage against undead though.

Regarding Namarra, it is a +2 and I don't think it can hit Kangaxx, not sure why Headbanger suggested it, except that I said I like to wield it, hence the best long sword wield against Kangaxx would be flametongue in main hand and daystar in offhand.

Hit the lich form with sunray from daystar and then pound away with Flametongue on the demilich.

Actually, due to the double damage, daystar makes the perfect weapon to backstab undead if you have used up the sunray. (vampires) :D. Shame liches need a +3 weapon to hit and daystar doesn't do its +4 as stated in the description, otherwise it would be the perfect undead backstabber bar none :D :D

Cheers,

WittyNewt

[This message has been edited by wittynewt (edited November 20, 2001).]

11. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Heh, credit to you Wittynewt, you really tidy things up.:)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.