1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What are hit dice?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by cat_hair2000, Jun 21, 2004.

1. cat_hair2000 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

When it says a monster has 6HD what does that mean and how does it work? Does the computer roll 6d6 dice for hitpoints or what?

2. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Possibly...but I also think it refers to the monster's level. ie: 5d6 hp would mean a level 5 creature, 6d6 would mean a level 6 creature, etc.

At least, that's how I've always thought of it.

3. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Monsters in PnP are measured in hitdice. These represent the number of 8 sided dice you roll for its hitpoints. In ADnD you've got different dice to roll, namely a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12,d20 and even a d100. Mages roll a d4 for hitpoints, rogues and bards a d6, clerics and druids a d8, warriors a d10, barbarians a d12 and monsters a d8 unless they have a class. The number of HD also determine what level the monster is considered for saving throws and special abilities like deathblow and cloud kill.

As far as I know the monsters in BG2 always have maximum hitpoints. So a 6HD creature would have 6x8 hitpoints, which would translate in 48 hitpoints. When a creature like an Ogre for example has 4+1 HD, it means that it has 4x8= 32 hitpoints +1. This translates in 33 hitpoints. Every +3 on hitpoints counts as an extra HD for saving throws.

4. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I think you shouldn't need to remember and know this all, it is a bit too much confusion, just build up your characters, but i am only using these rules when i select a weapon, you know, 1d6, 2d4, and so on...

5. cat_hair2000 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Interesting. Thank you. I have a need to know how things work. :rolleyes:

6. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Does that mean you can always determine the hit dice of a monster by simply looking at their hit points? (assuming again monsters are always at their maximum hit points)

I thought monsters are, by default, fighters? (unless they have spells memorized, innate abilities don't count)

7. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

In PnP monster use a completly different THAC0 progression chart, but do save as fighters unless they have a component of an other class (like thieving abilities or spells). Then they use the most favorable saving throws, just like multiclassed characters. There are monsters that have +something on their hitpoints, but I don't know how it works in BG2. There are some monsters who have as much as +12 on their hitpoints, but I don't believe they are used in BG2.

8. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31

Well, their hitpoints say alot about their hitdice, but why shouldn't you read the manual, i think you can find something about it there.

9. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I have a friend who study all that stuff, since he also plays Fallout games he knows a lot, me? not a clue, I just know that those "imaginary" dices always roll better to the AI, example? you are a powerfull guy who can beat any dragon without scraches, suddenly you find a shaman kobold and throws you ... fear... all your party scared because all dices... well, you can't scare your own little brother in the game because you see: hit roll: 2 so you do nothing, but when it comes to save your characters from anything, most of the time you roll the lowest number... So, for me, they mean nothing, they are just there because of the rules or something...

10. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31

Well, i share your opinion too, the rolls and hitdice are just too confusing, just buy and find better items, kill enemies, build-up your characters, and after a while you don't need the rules anymore.

11. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I agree, I have the 2nd-ed AD&D rules and it doesn't help that much. It does help make sense of the mechanics of the game, but that is no help in actually beating the enemies. Just treat HD the same as levels to give you an idea where you should be at that point in time. Just always aim to have the best equipment you can for that stage of the game. There is no enemy that can't be beaten with decent ranged support and good AC.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.