1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

We're spying on the Ruskies!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    You can't just execute a spy, I don't care what anyone says. This is a mans life you're talking about here.
    People don't even know he IS a spy, this is so ludicrous, it was originally posted as a joke as that's how I see it :lol: .
    But, kill him? :lol: Leave it out!

2. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

As my friend reminded me, these spies are not protected by international treaties, and they can be executed at whim.

Barmy Army,

Except for a big mouth, you don't have much. :D By the way, our economy might not be stellar, but we compensate it with our superior Slavic creativity, ingeniousness and simplicity. ;)
    You never heard that story about the US cosmonauts and their billion dollars pen? :D

Sorry, but that means jack, for very many different reasons.

3. Barmy Army

Media:
    The only thing superior about Russia is the vodka :lol: .
    Bit nippy out there right now ain't it?

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Very true. First you get the proof, then you punish him.
    Yes it can, horrible as it is. I don't want him dead any more than you, be he took the risk knowing the consequences (as did the drug trafficker in a previous thread). And death is a very cold subject.

I understand you're against killing in any circumstance (a rather admirable philosophy), but don't expect the Russians to be. The simple truth is that if he was caught and proven guilty, it's very likely he will be executed, and there's nothing any of us can do about it. And I sincerely doubt that any country would go to war over a single exposed spy being killed, as sad as it is.
    ...or "tourists", or there on "business", or whatever. Do you have any source for claiming the supposed spy was actually a diplomat? Someone from a foreign country is not automatically immune to the local laws; quite the opposite, in fact. They're expected to know and abide by the laws, with only a small bit of leniency for minor things that they really didn't expect (depending on the arresting officer). I doubt that espionage would fall under that category, or even diplomatic immunity for that matter.

5. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

@Svy

Your friend is wrong. According to Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations:

Article 31
    1. A diplomatic agent shall enjoy immunity from the criminal jurisdiction of the receiving State. He shall also enjoy immunity from its civil and administrative jurisdiction, except in the case of:

(a) a real action relating to private immovable property situated in the territory of the receiving State, unless he holds it on behalf of the sending State for the purposes of the mission;
    (b) an action relating to succession in which the diplomatic agent is involved as executor, administrator, heir or legatee as a private person and not on behalf of the sending State;

(c) an action relating to any professional or commercial activity exercised by the diplomatic agent in the receiving State outside his official functions.

2. A diplomatic agent is not obliged to give evidence as a witness.
    3. No measures of execution may be taken in respect of a diplomatic agent except in the cases coming under sub-paragraphs (a), (b) and (c) of paragraph 1 of this Article, and provided that the measures concerned can be taken without infringing the inviolability of his person or of his residence.
    4. The immunity of a diplomatic agent from the jurisdiction of the receiving State does not exempt him from the jurisdiction of the sending State.

@Felinoid

From Barmy's link: Russia's state security service, the FSB, has accused British diplomats of spying in Moscow

6. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

BOC,

So you mean to say spying is one of his official functions?

7. BOC

If you read the article carefully, you 'll see that the exceptions belong to He shall also enjoy immunity from its civil and administrative jurisdiction, which means civil and administrative law. I'm not a lawyer but, as far as I know, espionage belongs to criminal law and not to the civil or administrative law.

8. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

@BOC:
    Ah, my mistake. Well, it looks like he'll get off after all then, unless either they find a way to punish him "administratively" or whatever. But I imagine that Russia will be more reticent to accept new diplomats for a while, and will likely make a considerable row about this (as they should). Britain found a nice loophole (if he was actually engaged in espionage), but that doesn't exactly foster trust by taking advantage of it. At the very least, this could hurt international relations if proved true.

9. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

BOC,

You might be right about it.

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    It's the moral aspect as we ll as the legal aspect. It would be immoral to kill a man for such a thing IMO.

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

What? Since when there has been anything worth interest in Russia? Is Mr. Putin trying to flatter his countrymen or something? :hmm:

12. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Couldn't resist, could you ? :shake:

Keep your pants on dude, i was all in jest. Sometimes i feel the urge to pull someone's leg, and accidentally i pulled yours, what are the chances of that eh ? ;)

And i'm well aware of what Russian technology is capable of, like i said...it was in jest. But i'll take that Borsche recipe, thank you very much. If i'm not mistaken it's some sort of soup. Feel free to PM me the ingredients, i'm serious.

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    I don't think Svy understands 'humour' John :D . It's that Russian dour-ness :lol: . Too much vodka I reckon, eh, Svy? :D

14. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

Wirhe,

The westerns seen to think otherwise. You don't need to be jealous that none pay attention to tiny and worthless Finland. :D
    ---------------------------------------------------

Dude, you are saying that yet again! Are you for real?! As if spying did not deal and put in check the lives of millions of people! Get real! Immoral? What a joke!

EDIT: I have humour Barmy, and I knew he was pulling my leg. I don't drink alcohol, at all, by the way.

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    What are you talking about Svy....

By the way, you've forgotten one important aspect my over-serious Slavic friend: The yellow elephants must be avoided at all costs, due to the inexpensive way in which they distribute cardigans knitted from Arabian yak monkeys pubic hair.
    Is that clear? Good. 4/10, see me after class, boyo! :lol:

16. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

unless spies do something super heinous, I think standard protocol is for a gov't to hold onto them as bargaining chips until the other gov't ponies up with a trade...

17. BOC

@Felinoid

The brits haven't found something new, spies under the cover of diplomat (usually as cultural or commercial attachees),and therefore protected by diplomatic immunity, is a common practice that everybody's following for ages. For example in 2002 two russian diplomats were expeled from Sweden for industrial espionage, in 1982 the soviet air force attache was expeled from US for buying secret documents of the american administration etc. There are thousand cases like these.

18. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    It's not that we think Finland's worthless, it's that we're scared of the crazy bastards. I mean, one Finn is worth an entire armored division. I want to stay as far away from those guys as I can.

19. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I wish... Everything I keep seeing in the Finnish army tells me different. ;)

20. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

BTW, haven't diplomats enjoyed immunity since basically the 1920s, if not earlier? I am sure there have been quite a few small scandals during the cold wars when diplomats have been implicated in espionage affairs and have been expelled, and that was that. If it was enough for the cold war, it is enough for today.
    Of course, anyone who does not have a diplomatic immunity and is caught spying is sentenced according to military law. And in it, iirc, every country has a death penalty.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.