1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Well, Now What? (Cloning)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Vandalore, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I see cloning as being alot like playing God. God is a creator who can decide which creatures will be here and which creatures won't. If scientists clone animals or people then we are deciding who or what we want to exist, much like God would.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you take that stance then we've been playing God ever since we started directed breeding of domesticated plants and livestock.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'd like to point out that we already have clones of people. They're called identical twins. Explain the difference between that and cloning.

4. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

BTA - I think there is a bit of a difference here. With selective breeding we are still exposed to certain genetic randomness. I look at my pure bred beagle, he sure looks and acts alot different than other beagles. I would say 'cloning' involves specific genetic engineering that entirely bypasses the mechanics of breeding. The difference between cloning and breeding deals with the level of control that we have on the desired outcome.

Amaster - Identical twins occur when the fetus (still at the cellular level) splits in two, resulting in two genetically identical babies. Of course there are also paternal twins in which two seperate eggs are fertilized, resulting in genetically different babies.
    My definition of cloning would be taking genetic samples from existing creatures in order to produce an exact replica.

[This message has been edited by Lord Moeken (edited June 22, 2001).]

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, I didn't say there wasn't a difference Moeken. What I said is that if you believe we are playing God because we are deciding what we want to exist, then we have been playing God for quite some time.

We are certainly becoming more sophisticated in our control now, but we have certainly been deciding what we want in our domesticated plants and animals, and directing their breeding to get what we want.

I would be more inclined to say we are "playing God" if we started designing our own organisms, building the DNA (or perhaps some other new and novel encoding scheme that doesn't even involve the production of proteins) from scratch, and gestating these new organisms in our own artificial wombs.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited June 22, 2001).]

6. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

I understand your point BTA. I guess control of breeding seems less 'God-like' than actual mapping and selecting specific genes, but it is a means to a similar ends. I guess when I made my previous comment about playing 'God' I wasn't really thinking about selective breeding.
    "Hey boy, make sure you don't put that herford bull in with the simmentals, who knows what we'll get!", just doesn't have the ominous overtones that cloning implies. ;)

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I don't think cloning implies anything ominous. If a certain animal or plant has exactly what you want, then why not replicate it? Certainly, replicating one animal or plant to the exclusion of all others would be foolish, but I don't see that happening. Now human cloning I'm more leary of because I don't know to what end this is wanted.

To me, genetic engineering, especially the insertion of foreign genes, is the most ominous because we can't know what the consequences of our manipulations will be when our creations will be interacting with the rest of the natural world.

8. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

Oh but it does have ominous implications. Just scroll up and read some of the earlier posts - there's an element of fright contained in many of the comments.
    What would be the consequences? Cloning could bring back extinct species, improve existing species, or as you mentioned perhaps create new species. Clone a blade of grass or a lamb and it seems fairly benign, but if it works for one species it works for others, and as you mentioned it probably won't stop at 'simple' replication, that is the ominous part. How can we know that we won't be screwing everything up? If you look at the basic laws of evolution (if you believe in that sort of thing) small genetic mutations are the driving force behind survival of the fittest. If we have control over our genes, then the randomness of evolution is effectively gone. I realise that we humans have been ignoring 'survival of the fittest' for quite some time, but start messing with genetics and we start messing with the existance of life itself. Just sounds scary and God-like to me.

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Because someone is frightened of something does not mean that fear is rational or justified. :)

Cloning will stop at simple replication because that's the definition of cloning; producing something that is genetically identical to the original. You can't create a new species through cloning, and you can't directly improve a species either. Bringing back recently extinct species may be possible, but DNA degrades with time, so there is a limit to how far back you can go.

Now as to the rest of your last post, I completely agree, but that is not cloning, that is genetic engineering. That is what I meant in my last post. Genetic engineering is much more ominous than cloning because we can't know all the consequences of what was created.

10. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

I have to run off and read some definitions from the dictionary. ;) Hey didn't you see Jurassic Park?

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] Yeah, I saw it. :) Do you remember where they said they had to fill in the gaps with frog DNA? I'd say they weren't cloning any more at that point! :)

12. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

But... But.... I'm bound and determined to get the last word. Genetic engineering and cloning go hand in hand, you can't have cloning without genetic engineering. We have reduced this discussion to a debate about definitions. I have to go for a business lunch for a bit so I'll not be able to respond... Forward any comments to Kenmoe, he is my newly aquired twin. ;)

13. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] OK - If you want to equate the more specific "cloning" with the more general "genetic engineering" then I'll go along with what you have said above.

To me they are different, so I made the distinction. Perhaps the others who posted in this thread think more the way you do and equate the two...

Oh, sorry for not letting you have the last word on your last post... ;)

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Moeken. I know what identical twins are. I was asking what people think the difference between identical twins and clones are. Twins are identical. Clones are identical (or will be if the technology is refined enough). I don't see a difference. Fine, playing god sounds scary, but is it any more scary than spliting the atom and making huge explosions that render an area uninhabitable for years?

15. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Some more food for thought..

Do you think we should use cloning to prevent extinction of specific species?

16. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

When a species is extinct it is extinct.
    Cloning them is messing around with
    fate. We can't change the past we can only create the future. What we should do is preserve what is left.

17. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I find it interesting that when you look at history to determine when our society's aversion to genetic tampering began, it seems that everyone thought it was the best idea since sliced bread right up until it became very clear how horribly Nazi scientists were misusing the knowledge they had- not to mention the dreadful things they did to get that knowledge.

The science in old Heinlein novels (written after the war but reflecting his pre-war ideas about cloning and genetic engineering) seems downright evil now, and of course that's not the way he intended it at all. Sad, really- there were good ideas in with the bad ones and in our terror of opening Pandora's box we have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

18. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

You make a good point Sprite. What else is there to fear but fear itself. So consequently, we should fear nothing and try experimenting whethering or not it is humane because it could cause some good if used correctly. But if there is no fear, what will keep what I like to call "the locals" in line? I dunno our a/c is broke and it's late. I don't even know if I'm making sense. I gotta go.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.