1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Munchkin Blender, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I have a double eye infection, sinus infection and my asthma is acting up like mad. I have not workout since Saturday. Tonight I'm going back to the first set of DVDs and will see how I do; though I don't think I will do that great.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I had a sinus infection about a month ago, when I first started the workouts. I think that affected my early poor performance as much as the intensity of the workouts did.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sounds like P90/X causes sinus infections! :)

4. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

My daughter was sick about 2 weeks ago with a double ear infection and whenver she gets a double ear infection within a week or two I get a sinus infection.

I decided to push play tonight on the Sculpt 3-4 video even if I'm not 100%. I know if I stop for more than 2 or 3 days I won't get back into the swing of things. 3 days of rest should be enough to help me out since I have another day coming on Sunday.

5. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I hate always being the Negative Ned, but working out when you're really sick is a bad idea. Eye infections and mild conditions won't probably do much harm, but heavy workout with infected airways is dangerous. It can lead to much worse symptoms. I know from my own experience that it's very hard not to exercise while being sick, but in the long run resting 2-3 days is a very short period.

6. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I actually feel fine right now. I have been on the medication now for 3 days. My air ways are much improved and will be even better after I use my inhaler.

I talked to my doctor about my inhaler as I have asmtha and explained to him that I only use it 5-10 minutes before I workout. He said that was an excellent idea as it would provide me with the oxygen needed to get the most out of a workout. He also did a refill for me at the same time as I was out of inhalers after the one I using now.

Having asmtha stinks; it takes the wind out of you if you are not prepared. When I first started working out I didn't use my inhaler and was often winded. Since I started using the inhaler before the workout I find myself lasting longer and pushing myself to the next level.

Trust me; if I could drop the inhaler all together I would in a heart beat. But without it; I'm winded very quickly and it stinks.

As for being sick; it stinks too. Especially when you wake up and thing you have gone blind. Stupid eye infection. But my eyes are not sore or bothering me like the did on Monday or Tuesday. As for the sinus infection; I only coughed this AM and barely have been coughing all afternoon. I believe it is also starting to pass. All good.

On a side note my total weight lost is now 17lbs. I am down to 275 and that is fully dressed with shoes, wallet, keys, long sleeve shirt, etc.. compared to just my wind pants and a t-shirt. I'm guessing I am closer to 20lbs. I will know more tomorrow night on day 60.

7. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

Ok, from your previous post I somehow got the picture that you were in worse condition. As long as there's no fever, a little coughing and a running nose won't be a problem :) .

For me, it's been 3 1/2 weeks and I've lost 10lbs as of this morning - I weigh myself every morning. I think I've reached my goal for now.. besides 1st of May is Saturday and it means unhealthy food and drinks for a day or two :D .

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    May Day is a big celebration in Finland? I had no idea... Although Cinco de Mayo is also next week, which has become the equivalent of St. Patrick's Day in the US, i.e., an excuse to go drinking irrespective of your heritage.

I had a good workout last night - I upped the wieght I was using from 35-40 lbs or 25-30 lbs, depending on what I had been using previously.

9. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

It is a national holiday - too bad it happens to be on Saturday this year. Traditionally it's been a workers and students celebration, but now it's just an excuse for most people to get drunk (usually on the previous day) and act stupid: confetti, balloons, costumes, you get the picture. On May Day there are some small parades, speeches and big hangovers.

10. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I'm almost at 100%. Since I lost two days of exercising I'm going to pull a double tomorrow; at least try. This week it has only been cardio exercises that will change on Monday since my body should be 100% by than.

11. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I am close to the end of the program; I have 3 weeks and 1 day left. I'm looking forward to seeing how far I have come in 90 days. After I complete P90 my first round I am going to do Slim in 6. After that I'm coming back to P90 for round two and than go back to Slim in 6 for its second round. I will finish off the year round 3 for P90 and than follow that up with P90X.

I have 65-70lbs to loose as of 4/29. Hopefully by 5/29 I will have 55-60lbs to loose. My current goal is to have my weight between 240-250lbs by July 4th. I realized getting my weight down to 255 by May 29th will not happen; though one more month of exercising and eating right I should be able to get it down to 255 or less.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    As with all diet/exercise programs, you tend to see the biggest results early on. It is unrealistic to see how much weight you lose in the first month or two, and project that out to a six month, or one year goal. It just doesn't work that way. The more weight you lose the harder it becomes to lose more.

While I would advocate setting long-term weight loss goals, don't get frustrated that the weight you are losing is slowing somewhat. Not only is that totally normal, it should actually be expected. If you weight yourself one week, and see you "only" lost 0.5 pounds, don't get discouraged. I view that as a victory. Any time the number for one week is lower than the number from the previous week, it means you're doing something right.

13. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

It isn't all about weight with me. It is about inches lost as well. If I didn't loose a single pound but lost 10" around my waist it is still an accomplishment. I know things get harder after the first 3-4 weeks. I have seen very little in weight lost over the last few weeks.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Good workout last night with chest and back. It's essentailly all different types of pullups and pushups. (As I think I've mentioned, I don't have a pullup bar, so on the excercises that do pullups, I do pulldowns on my weight equipment.)

On all the pulldown exercises I went from 250 lbs up to 260 lbs, and did 20 reps to a set. We do standard width with both front and reverse grip, wide grip and close grip (both front facing), with two sets of each (so eight total sets). My traps are getting abso-freakin-lutely HUGE. That's the equivalent of about 160 pullups during an hour-long workout. (I don't weigh anywhere near 260 lbs, but for some reason just about everyone can do more weight and more reps on pulldowns than with pullups. I don't know if it's a balancing issue or what, but I think I'd have a hard time doing 20 pullups, even though I weigh less than 200 lbs.)

As for the pushups, we do standard, military, wide, decline, diamond (very hard), and dive bomber (also difficult) pushups, with two sets of each. On those I just did one more rep per set than I did previously. So for standard, military, wide, and decline I went from 25 reps to 26, and on the last two I went from 15 to 16. (I don't think it's a fatigue issue on the last two types of pushups that causes me to do less - I think I do less because they are harder to do.)

I totally kicked Tony's butt on that workout, doing as many or more than he did for each set. Of course, tonight is Plyometrics, where Tony will have me crying like a baby once again.

15. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Some times it is hard to be honest with yourself even though you can decive others easily. I know I have not been honest and good to myself like I know I can be. The last 3-4 weeks I have not pushed myself like I know I can. I also have not been eating properly for about 4 weeks now and it showed up last night when I weighed myself. I gained 2 lbs from my lowest weigh and that is something that speaks the truth.

After having deep thoughts about what both of my parents are facing now, my mom has arthirist in her knees that some days keep her from getting out of bed and my dad recently had a mild heart attack, I know both could be in my future if I don't do something for myself now.

When I got home last night I knew if I wanted results I couldn't wait until I complete Power90 to start doing cardio 5-6x a week along with 3x times a week for strengt training. So last night when I got home instead of doing Sculpt 3-4 I start off with Sweat 1-2 and went onto Sculpt 1-2. Tonight it will be Sweat 3-4.

So going forward I will be doing the following for exercises.

Monday, Wednesday and Fridays: Sweat 1-2 followed up by Sculpt 1-2 (no power yoga)
    Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday: Sweat 3-4
    Sunday: Walk, yard work, housework, etc...

Last week I had to balance out the checkbook and noticed a large list of Dairy Queens, Burger Kings, TGI Friday's, etc... As of yesterday I am not longer eating out. The second thing is that the days I didn't eat out I still was not helping myself by caving into my hunger after dinner and would eat food that is not good for the body.

After some serious thinking I decied to try whey protien this week to see if it could help crave my hunger after I workout. So last night was the first night I had the whey protien along with a meal and I did not feel hungry. Hopefully this will help me battle my hunger.

I'm hoping I can get my diet under control. I will know more next week it the whey protien is helping me or not.

Hopefully my change in exercise will also help me loose more weigh.

My weight loss journey has been harder than I thought it would be and I know I still have a long, a very long way, to go. I still have to loose 79 lbs. I have lost 19% of the total weight to reach my goal weigh of 195lbs. I know I'm not done and I know I still have a lot more to do and a lot more to learn about myself and chaning my life style.

16. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I feel ya Muchkin. I weihgh 185 and I am 5'7. I use to carry myself around 140-150 until the last couple of years. I don't play the sports I use to and lounge alot more than before. I need to drop a few. I am lucky as my body still burns thru food fast and I don't gain alot. I do eat ALOT though. But, as I turn 37 this year, I will probably start to put on the poundage soon. My wife has lost 46 lbs since the beginning of the year. She has totally knocked out eationg any processed foods. She doesn't work out, other than the fact that she is a DPT(DR. of Physical Therapy) and has to help very large patients daily. But, by eating healthy and down-sizing her portions, she has done a splendid job in losing weight. I am very proud of her and a bit envious as well. I wish I could tone down my eating habits like she did. It takes alot of willpower my man. Do your best to push thru the hunger, keep yourself occupied, it helps alot. Start some new projects around the house, build a bookshelf, anything that will keep your mind focused on other things. Good luck dude!:)

17. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

Good choice, protein-rich foods keep you full a lot longer and help recovery during night. Protein powders can contain hgh calories though, but I assume you're not eating huge amounts. If you can keep your meal sizes moderate for a while, at some point your stomach starts to adjust and you won't feel so hungry. Good luck :) .

For the most part it's basic mechanics: the cable holding the weight stack goes through 2(?) pulleys, so the force needed to pull the weight down is smaller. The direction of the pull movement is also a factor - don't ask for a formula :) . I don't know the type of your equipment, but I assume there's a possibility to put your legs under some sort of pads, which gives a lot of support. You can also use your upper body to give extra leverage, but I think that's not the proper form .

18. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I wish I weighed 187 lbs. I would have about 10-12% body fat and I would be in the best physical shape of my life, seriously. Last time I weighed under 190 I was 15. Since than I have been about 240-305lbs. My weight is typically around 280. Right now is the lightest I have been the last few years and I know I can go lower if I stick to it.

As for eating large or small portions; I am a HUGE over eater. I did my best when I started the program to watch what I eat and I did really good the first month but since day 28 I have gone down hill with my food control. It is really hard to break old bad habits and I know I will be successful if I continue to try to fix it.

Hopefully it is like gaining taste for food; it takes 6-8 tries within x amount of time before you can tolerate foods you dislike. Hopefully that is true to being able to control food intake.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Yes, I understand the concept of simple machines. But the weight listed is the amount of force needed to lift the weights or stretch the bands - not the weight of the plastic blocks (or bands) themselves. This is true for Nautalis, Bowflex, and Soloflex, which I imagine make up the majority of such exercise equipment used outside of free weights, which are still the most common.

That's true, but I find it odd that this alone would allow you to lift significantly more.

20. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

When you really start to think of it there's a lot of variables: friction (which will work against you), the angles involved, the weight of the bar, etc. The only accurate way for measuring the force would be with counterweights, I assume.

Have you tried without the leg support?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.