1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Munchkin Blender, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Tomorrow morning it's DOMS for you :D. Good luck and tell us how it works out. I was a bit intrigued by the program when I happened to see the infomercial.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sounds great, Munchkin Blender. More people around here could probably do with getting off their butts and doing more exercise.

My exercise of choice is running. I find that if I enter a running event ahead of time (like an upcoming 10k race or half-marathon), that helps make sure I don't blow off doing the training and keeps me motivated, something I struggle with if I just go to the gym. I stick to my exercise, not to be healthier, but because I don't want to be embarrassed by getting beaten by some 80 year old dude.

3. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I completed the cardio video yesterday. Boy did I sweat. I wasn't expecting such a workout in 35 minutes. Tonight is the scuplting video. Hopefully my body holds up. I'm a bit sore but I should expect that as I have been more of a coach potato than anything most of my life.

The funny thing is the measurements and pictures don't lie. I decided to hang my pictures on the frig; maybe it will motivate me more.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    MB, one thing to really keep in mind is you will usually gain muscle at the start of every exercise program and so weight loss is not so critical early in the program (in fact you may see a slight weight gain at first -- that's really quite common). I know a lot of people who got disappointed by that aspect.

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Yeah I understand that. But I am 290lbs of fatness and if I can get down to about 230 even with muscle building up I would be fine. I'm not expecting to get below 200 as I have not been below 200 since I was 16.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How tall are you, MB?

7. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I've lost around 7 lbs in a month, no idea how it even happened o.O

8. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I’m 5’11” tall; I know my ideal weight should be between 150-175lbs. The last time I was my ideal weight I was 15 years old; that was 17 years ago.

As for Power 90, there are a total of 6 workout programs on 2 DVDs. The first DVD has Sweat 1-2, Sculpt 1-2 and 100 Abs. The second DVD has Sweat 3-4, Sculpt 3-4 and 200 Abs.

You rotate the Sweat and Sculpt video and on the Sweat days you also do the Abs workout. On the 7th day you take a break. It is recommended to continue using both Sweat/Sculpt 1-2 until it is master before moving onto Sweat/Sculpt 3-4.

I have now completed 2 days and I feel 100% better than I did 3 days ago. I have more energy, I noticed I have a bit more flexibility and I feel a bit stronger. I feel all of that and my body aches, though not in painful manner.

I have 88 more days to go. I can’t wait to take my measures on 3/31 to see how much my body changed from 3/1. I do know that the road to 3/31 isn’t going to be easy. I know I will have to push myself every step of the way. I have to stay motivated and focus to make sure I get through all 90 days.

This is the first time in my life I actually feel like I can finish an exercise program that I started.

Once I get to 30 days I will post the changes to my body.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Good Luck Munchkin. I joined the wife in her regimen this week, dietwise at least. Man, I'm hungry! It's so hard to find things that is filling, yet healthy. There are some, but eating the same old same old is tough.

The wife made a Meatloaf with lean Ground Turkey Breast. 1 lb, add 2 egg whites, then a 1/2 of cup of the following purred veggies, onion, carrots and celery. Then she dices up 2 Chipolte peppers and adds that to the mix. After cooking for about an hour on 350, she drizzles(very lightly), some Chipolte BBQ sauce over the top and puts it back in the oven for 5 minutes. It's very yummy!:yum:

I've found that in most of her "healthy" recipes, it excludes salt and other spices and just adds some type of "heat" element.

10. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Green spices aren't bad for you but like they says if you over do anything, even healthly things, it will get the best of you.

Here is my meal plan..

Breakfast: 1 Cup of dry whole grain cereal (Khashi Go Lean), 1 Cup of Milk, and one fruit (apple or orange)

Lunch: 2 slices of whole grain bread, 4-5 oz of protien (Peanut Butter or lean lunch meat and a slice of low fat swiss cheese), 4oz yogurt, apple sauce or a fruit, Khashi Granola Bar, 6oz of Low Sodium V8 and 100 Calorie Popcorn or Chip snack pack

Dinner: 1 Cup of Cooked Green Veggies (you would be surprised on many green veggies there are), 3-4 oz of rice or potato (sweet, red, yellow, etc), and 4-5oz of protien

Snack: 8oz Protien Smoothie (4oz of low fat yogurt, 2 oz of milk, 1/2 bannana and 1 strawberry) and a rice cake with 1/2 tbl spn of peanut.

Estimated Calorie intake is between 1800-2000.

Thoughts...

11. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

Disclaimer: I'm not a nutritional expert or a professional trainer. I have, however, lost 90 pounds 7-8 years ago, and recently gained (on purpose) 35-40 pounds with strength training in one year.

Good meal plan, but IMO you could eat more. Definitely a heavier breakfast and possibly one extra (evening) snack? 2000 calorie intake is a bit low, since a guy at your size consumes about 2800 calories without any exercise. If you do heavy exercises 6 times a week, you'll end up with over 1000 calorie deficit every day, which isn't all good in the long run. It's very hard (actually impossible) to gain muscle mass when you're eating less than you consume. In the worst case scenario the existing muscle tissue burns away with the fat. Recommended average calorie deficit per day is somewhere around 500.

You'll need about 7-8oz of pure protein every day and it's wise to spread that amount throughout the day to 5-6 meals, since human body can use only 1-1,5 oz of protein at a time.

You might want to drink that protein smoothie soon after sculpting exercises to get away from catabolic state (to anabolic state).

Good luck with the program :) !

12. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If I could make a few suggestions, MB...
    This is pretty good, but I think you'd be better served with just straight up oatmeal. McCann's Steelcut Oats are a bit of a pain, but very good (they also make instant, which rule). Sweeten the oatmeal with apple sauce, a dash of ground cinnamon, or a tablespoon of almond butter. Speaking of which - some healthy fats are good with breakfast; maybe this is where you should add peanut butter. Be careful, though - most modern peanut butters are loaded with sugar. Go for natural peanut butter, or better yet, almond butter. A slice of avocado on the side would also work well.

You'll likely get sick of having this every single day, so assuming you can eat eggs, try an egg-white veggie omelet one or twice a week. My favorite way to do it is to sautee fresh spinach, mushrooms and/or zucchini in about 1tbsp of extra virgin olive oil for about 5 minutes (so they're still a little crisp). I sprinkle some organic garlic salt as it's cooking (go ahead and buy the organic...I bought mine over a year ago, use it all the time, and the bottle's still nearly full). Then I remove the veggies, pour the egg whites, drop the veggies in the middle, add a little parmesan cheese, and wrap up the sides (so all the ingredients stay hot in the middle). That, a slice of whole-wheat toast and a piece of grapefruit has become my absolute favorite breakfast. You'll be surprised how much energy you have in the morning after this.

EDIT: One other note. I used to eat Kashi Go Lean a few years ago, and I loved it. But I stopped eating it and haven't touched it since. Why? It made me fart like a howitzer. Seriously. Lots of gas. Your mileage may vary, but don't say I didn't warn ya. :p
    Most nutritionists I know would tell you to drop lunchmeats altogether. Even the "lean" meats are loaded with sodium and other additives. Once in a while is ok, but I'd go with Tuna when you can. The low-sodium V8 is a great idea. As for the bread - make sure the package says 100% whole wheat. Some "whole grain" breads are just died white bread with seeds.

I would take the granola bar and 100-cal snack packs out - at least for this meal. They're overkill. You already have plenty of calories and nutrients for a single meal. If you find that removing these items doesn't make you feel full, drink more water. You can save this for a between-meal snack.

That said, as a snack, honestly, I would dump the snack packs. If you want a good healthy and filling snack, try a cup of 1% cottage cheese with a half cup of fresh fruit (pineapple, peaches, apples or berries work best). If you use canned fruits, make sure the fruit is packed in its own juice, not heavy or light syrup.
    This is exactly right.
    You'll need to add more protein for it to be a "protein smoothy." What you have here is not quite enough. Get some whey protein to add to the mix. One trick I've found with smoothies is getting frozen fruit. You can get a 2lb bag of mixed berries that will last you quite a while, and it's cheaper than buying fresh. Plus, they'll make your smoothie cold and refreshing without ice.

This is a good start, MB. Remember you'll need to eat 5 times per day, so add another small snack. Breakfast (never, ever skip breakfast), snack, lunch, snack, dinner. If you have to have something to eat after dinner, make sure it is carb-free. This is another good place for the cottage cheese. A low-carb protein shake works great here, too.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  13. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I do have the protien shake and rice cake with all natural peanut butter right after I exercise. It is actually quite filling. I know yesterday I also had a cup of milk in addition to the protien shake.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Munchkin - that diet is a zillion times better than the average person's so it's an awesome start. I'd add in a mid-morning snack if I were you (assuming you're not sleeping in and having breakfast at 10am) to close the gap between breakfast and lunch.

I also prefer packing in as many different nutrients as possible at breakfast, so I make my own muesli, with a base of rolled oats, plus loads of other extras like bran, seeds, and dried fruit. I make it up once a week and it's so delicious (I should go into business - its way nicer than any other muesli I've found).

15. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Here is my eating schedule.

Breakfast: 6:30AM
    Lunch: 11AM
    Afternoon Snack 2PM: Granola bar - I bring it as my lunch and I will typically eat it around 2PM
    Dinner 6PM:
    Evening Snack: 7:30PM
    Bedtime: 9PM

If I didn't have an 45 minute drive home from work I would eat dinner 30 minutes earlier and snack 30 minutes earlier and eat breakfast 30 minutees later. Because I have to drive 45 minutes to work one way I eat at the times I do.

Hope this helps clarify anyone questions about my diet/eating habbits.

As for my meal plan, I know it is better than most people because it is a meal plan that a nutriniest helped me design. In fact I do eat tuna in place of lunch meat at least once if not twice a week. I have lunch meat two times a week at most. I typically have all natural peanut butter or tuna.

As for the 100 calorie snack pack thing - I wrote that in there because we have a bunch of them still at my house. I figured I would slowly empty my house of the junk stuff and slowly add the good stuff.

I know from past experience if I dive all in I fail. I would rather slowly make a change than change everything at once. That is why I'm still eating bread. My goal is eventually not to eat any foods that contains added sugar or flour.

16. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

If you stick to the program with above schedule and diet, you'll look very different after three months.

What Death Rabbit said about adding more protein to your protein smoothie is true, especially when it's your last meal of the day- remember, it's 11 hours until breakfast and the recovery happens when you rest.

Eating bread every now and then isn't that bad.. but then, I don't know what kind of breads are available there. And what's a Granola bar :confused: :)

17. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Sounds like you'll do well. Good luck with it.

18. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Thanks. It is hard going from what I am doing now to having 1/2 of a 16" Pizza twice a week for dinner, eating out once a week at a place like AppleBees or TGI Friday's, etc...

I know I have to stay focus and work on eating healtly and make sure I get my exercise in Monday thru Saturday with Sunday being my resting day. Hopefully by the 30th day I will have the motivation to add a cardio morning routine for about 20-30 minutes.

19. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    To me, it looks like the most important part of this diet for you is going to be successfully avoiding the aforementioned pizza/TGIF's ,etc. Eating out is a sure-fire recipe (heh, recipe, I kill me . . .) for disaster. The portions are huge, they are loaded with fat, sugar and sodium and they make you crave more of the same. Avoid it like the plague and pretty much anything you eat at home will be infinitely better.

20. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

The pizza is home made; just pizza isn't a good type of food. I love those who try to defend it as being healthly.

As for TGI Friday's, I get the 3 course meal for 12.99. I start off with one of their wedge salads, followed up the the grilled shrimp with brocolli and and my meal with a desert the smart deserts.

My weakness is the sugar foods and my coffee with sugar. I started to drink my coffee without sugar and the first thing I noticed is that I no longer crave the sugar snacks. The next thing is to switch out my coffee with cream for black coffee or tea.

Baby steps. I'm giving myself 30 days of coffee with just cream. And from there I'm going to coffee with whole milk and than reduce fat and finally black.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.