1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weblog post #1 of 1

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Alavin, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I'm bored, therefore trying out this new "web log" thing that seems to be popular these days. So to be really original...

D&D 4e... it's actually not bad. The combat for fighters has progressed beyond "I hit it", and now requires tactics! I was shocked as one can imagine. And nice At Will powers for all classes mean that everyone always has options, while Encounter and Daily powers mean there's still some measure of resource management. The combat is streamlined, and even high levelled wizards can take their turns in less than an hour.

But this leads on to my biggest problem with 4e... while combat has so many more options (particularly for the magic-less), things like skills and non-combat feats have been greatly cut back. While the World Of Darkness player in me can see the potential of this - letting the players decide what they want their characters to do and the DM deciding how it turns out without resorting to "rules" - the cynic in me sees DMs ignoring the peaceful approach and sticking to the combat, which is clearly what the rules were made for. I find this saddening. Also, many of the interesting spells are gone; the cantrips a tactically-minded player can use to slaughter whole legions of foes. They will be missed. But the group I play with is very focused on the storylines and character development anyway, so it hasn't become a butcher-fest yet.

I shall persevere with 4e, despite the lack of bards (!!! :mad:) and gnomes (:D); we're meeting up every month for a little session, and possibly more often if we can arrange it. Good fun.

This is probably my first and last weblogging attempt - I doubt I'll find the time for it again. Not as tedious as I was expecting, though.

Yay.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Which cantrip can you use to "to slaughter whole legions of foes"? Sounds fun. :D

3. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

:) Even something like Dancing Lights/Ghost Sound can be used for the old will-o'-the-wisp trick of leading groups of enemies into monster lairs etc. Or Mage Hand to help someone fall down... No Light (Book of Vile Darkness) when underground... Lots of potential merriment, if you've got the imagination for it (and a DM with enough of a sense of humour to let you ruin his encounters).

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It'd be nice to see something as imaginative as that implemented in a CRPG for a change.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.