1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weather Changes, Natural or Unnatural?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Rotku, May 3, 2003.

1. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

It is true that Earth has her climatological periods as scientists have proved but i don't think that we are not responsible for these changes. In fact i think that we have caused a lot of pressure to the climate with the polution and our reckless destruction of flora and fauna.
    Only the last few years the goverments of Earth are trying to take measures to decrease the polution but the economical interests of the companies are not giving room to radical decisions. :(
    I've also read once a very interesting book whch was called "the third alternative solution" that designates this problem was known from 60's and there were three solutions to this problem two of them not applicable and one not so good for the whole of the mankind. :( Read it it's very enlighting

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Please explain to me then the global warmingand other changes in the weather, has anything to do with another ice age? Wouldn't the world just get colder. Not hoter and colder. It just doesn't make sence. And then the changing of the seasons like Mithrantir and Alexander said sounds more like the worlds becoming on big tropical planet. Certainly not another ice age.

[ May 06, 2003, 09:44: Message edited by: Ruler of the Known Universe ]

3. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Hm, yes, I don't like the ice-age theory neither. Wouldn't that mean more snow, not less snow ? At least here, where snow is supposed to be ?

4. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The theory does not say that the climate will turn to cold immediately rather it says that there will be great changes to the global climate with extreme heat changing to extreme cold maybe a cataclysm and then the ice age. Of course we'll be dead before that. I'll try to find something on the net for that scenario

5. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I don't know but all this about the ice age(OFF TOPIC: have you seen the movie? very funny)coming again makes me feel...(a little)frightened. :(

6. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I read a theory somewhere that the next ice age would start with global warming. The thought was that since warm air can carry more moisture than cold, the water-saturated warm air that made it's way to the poles would cool and drop much more snow than is normal on the existing ice/snow. Remember, Antarctica is drier than the driest desert on Earth. If that much extra snow fall dropped it would eventually increase the size of the glaciers which could then begin to expand across the globe.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily true, but the facts are correct.

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Do a Google search for "Great Ocean Conveyor." This is a massive, world-wide system of heat transfer that contributes to long cycles of climatic warming and cooling. When the individual cycles are looked at together, they show even longer trends that could lead into or out of the ice ages. I'll see if I can find the link to a long article I read a few months ago.

The example that stuck with me was about George Washington camping at Valley Forge and crossing the Delaware River during the Revolutionary War. Winters in this area aren't usually that severe. In fact, the winter of 2001-2002 was unusually mild (70 F on Christmas!). However, the winter of 2002-2003 was extremely cold with lots of snow.

Mankind's influence, or simply El Nino? ;)

8. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Weather always changes. This is not a new phenomenon.

The most influential factors on our weather are the Sun and ocean currents, neither of which we can directly effect, so no, in the main our weather follows natural patterns.

Extremes over the last 25 years has been effected greately by the increased El Nino activity seen since the mid 70's, but there is no question that anyone has demonstrated any sort of link between this and human activities.

We have influenced the temperature, but please remember that the total increase in the last 100 years is less than one degree centigrade.

Read this for a bit of background stuff, and do a web search on El Nino / La Nina to discover what causes most of our weather extremes. Particularly in the Southern Hemisphere.

9. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I don't know much about weather changes but aren't ice ages caused by shifts in the earth's axis?

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

@ Viking,
    We can affect the sun. Well atleast the power of the sun rays that hit us. By destroying the ozon (spelling?) layer above the earth we are letting more UV rays hit the earth, which could have an affect on the ocean currents. And the destcution of the ozon layer certainly is human caused.

11. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The point really is that climactic changes cannot be observed from year to year in any meaningful way.

Next year: cold winter, year after warm. What is that supposed to prove? Climactic changes are very long term, often many thousand year trends, so although we have influenced the global temperature some, again, it's not likely to be the only cause of weather changes, indeed it may well only be a very minor factor.

Thus to directly attribute the differences in your last three winters to "Unnatural weather changes" is rather meaningless.

12. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Here's one theory I've heard regarding the "Ice Age" subject, but it goes a different way. It explains that a major contributing factor to the melting of the ice caps has to do with the fact that we are still coming OUT of an ice age, not heading into another one. Global warming and whatnot are speeding up this process, but the earth's natural cycle would have eventually finished the job. Of course, as I can't remember the source, this little story of mine could very well have been diseminated from the oil or auto industry and their VERY powerful lobby in an attempt to throw off or discredit the environmentalist arguement.

This theory would put me at ease, but when I think about the amount of polution that JUST ONE automobile creates per year, specifically greenhouse and ozone depleting gasses, and then I think about all the single car drivers in the US alone, plus all the factories, coal-burning powerplants... All this, standing next to all the dramatic change that has occured to ecosystems and climates of the world forces me to consider putting 2 and 2 together. One needn't look much further than the brownish-gray fog that hovers over Houston every morning at rush hour for evidence about the impact our "daily grind" is having on our world.

13. Rotku

I use to think that as well, about 3 years ago, but then i did a bit more research in to it and found enough evidence, well not really evidence, theres not much of this about this topic, and all the evidence that there is is bias in some ways. You have the government reseachers who try to make it sound completly natural so they don't have to do anything about it, and then theres the enviromentalists who make it sound like someone droped a nuclear bomb on some huge city the way they go on about it.
    Well back to what i was saying - I found some really interesting information which really made me change my opinon, and about that smog thing, where i come from we have none of that
    Clean Green New Zealand :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.