1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weapon creation

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Shadow Assassin, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Aren't magical weapons unbreakable? I seem to recall that from somewhere...

Anyway, I'd rather see a different method of limiting magical items than breakage. In the absence of twinking, I think the merchants are the best place to limit them. Either disallow merchants from reselling permanently magical items or limit the number they can resell.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well yea, they shouldn't break, but it's an idea how to limit the circulation of magical items. Just an idea, mind.

But even if you limit the merchants, there'll still be people who'll play unofficial merchants (black market), and eventually, the place will be crawling with them.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited August 15, 2001).]

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, I wasn't thinking about players becoming black marketeers...

But I'd sure hate to have my hard-won +5 Longbow of Evil Smiting break at some random time! :)

4. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] One way magic items will disappear from the game is if you die alone or if your whole party is wiped out. This is what Lord Rojan has to say on item decay in ALFA:

"As I recall from a similar discussion on the interplay boards, items decay pretty rapidly and DM's would have to intervene with scripting to extend or change the item decay rate.

The main reason they gave was for frame rate stability.

I do not recall if it was planned by ALFA to change the default decay rate, so stashing your stuff probably would not be a good idea =)

I also don't recall what the decay rate was or that they even gave one just that items are precoded to decay pretty quickly.

This only applies to items on the ground items stored in a container that is a placed container ( not a backpack that is its self a "dropped item" ) then the items stays until someone or something finds it and is able to remove it, hehe locked chests practicaly scream "OPEN ME AND TAKE ALL THIS DAMN STUFF OUT OF ME" =)"

So our rogues will be busy? hehehe.

5. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

IMHO, the items shouldn't 'decay' but have a Durability system similar to Diablo, where after a certain amount of time without repairs, the item is destroyed. Unless, as explained in the D&D 3E Psionics Handbook, the item is coated in Ectoplasm or is an artifact; in which case the Durability system would limit the power of the item substantially, but not truly 'breaking' it either. It would kinda suck, having that +5 vorpal, dancing greatsword you just won off a Solar break against a pack of Kobolds...

But magic items should be limited, as well: no +6 vorpal, dancing, brilliant energy, keen longswords or some such thing. Artifacts acceptable, but only to a certain extent: extensive amounts of time and quests used to acquire such items (ie. the Shadowstaff, Staff of the Magi, Hand and Eye of Vecna, etc...)

Anyway, I like the opinions I'm seeing in this topic and I hope they add item creation to NWN.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.