1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weapon creation

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Shadow Assassin, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I just came up with the best idea for an anti-paladin weapon. I put it in my town I'm creating using NWMap. its an animated double-bladed sword +3. Here's the description I made for it
    Grieving Mother

an animated two-bladed sword +3 (double vs. Paladins) created by an evil sorceress to destroy the noble paladin Jared after her son was justly executed by him for crimes against the just and innocent. (may not
    be used by those of good alignment.)

When a Paladin is within 30 ft of the sword if the wielders
    str is below 15
    or
    con is below 13
    the sword will escape the wielders grasp and attack the paladin.

-3 to chr
    wielder set to chaotic evil alignment while wielding the sword.

Has anybody else come up with new items they want to implement in NWN when it comes out?

[This message has been edited by Shadow Assassin (edited August 09, 2001).]

2. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

But of course, since my fighter/mage will be taking the craft magic weapon feat if it's offered. But then, I certainly can't give away all my sectets. Then EVERYONE will be wanting to run around with duplicates of my weapons :D

3. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31

overpower already? lets start with +1 weapons shall we :D

4. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Thats why they put 'the Vault' into NWN. This will not allow you to save characters with too powerful items for their level. This 'mother' sounds suitable for level 20 chars. +6 vs paladins, sheesh even Carsomyr was only +5!

5. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31

That brings up another question... What if somehow my very resourceful and cunning thief managed to steal the Holy Avenger from an absent minded lvl20 wizard who had just created it and left it on a counter? Will I still be able to... operate the sword or just sell it to somebody (what a bargain I could make! :))

btw Would the wizard be able to create items at all?

6. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Any 20th lvl wizard I created wouldn't be dumb enough to leave a +5 sword just lying around, it would be surrounded by wards, traps and guards. It takes a heap of money and time to create such an item so you can bet your bots of stealth he's gonna take good care of it.
    IF a low level character aquires a high level item then the Vault will not let them save it, it assumes the DM has not been doing his job properly. The best you could do is sell it and spread the cash around your friends, that way you would keep some 'reward'. Think about it, if word got around that a 2nd level thief had such an item, what would his life expectancy be?

7. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31

The situation was purely hypothetical, as you surely understood :)

But still, if I acquired the thing legally, or (gods, I wished that could be true!) I have a friend wizard who'd make me something big and powerful, why should I be rid of this weapon/item. I undestand if I just wouldn't be able to use the thing 'til I reach some level, but take it away... Puh-lease :)

So, I figure that you would be able to create items in NWN. Sweet, make a Shoppers Potion Mart ;)

8. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I certianly hope all the item creation feats will be included in NWN. Imagine, custom items tailored for your character. The possiblities certainly wet my appetite. It is definately a good way to personalize characters instead of always using "other" peoples weapons and armor as was the case in most other CRPG's (Plate of Balduran anyone? ;))

9. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31

This might make spellcasters useful not only for hurling fireballs at goblin hordes(I'd hurl some but 'tis not a living, is it? :))
    Mages might make money by creating and selling items. On the other side, it would not make spellcasters overpowered for the most potent items require a dragon's hoard of raw materials to create and not many of your average lvl7 wizards will have the skills to make these powerful items.
    Guilds might specifically hire wizards to supply the members with magical trinkets, rather than buying those from the market.

/me impatiently waits for NWN to be released.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] If mages were able to create items in the game, that is. Unfortunately they will not.
    The only way to create items will be with the editor that will ship with the game.

11. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Some of my expectations have just been disintegrated (save failed).
    But still, hope dies with the death of the one who hopes. This is still going to be a great game.

12. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] ALFA have said they will consider this, however don't think it's a free lunch. It's gonna take: A wizard of high enough level (you gotta survive that long!), a lot of expensive materials (some of which may need a 'quest' to obtain), a lot of uninterupted time in a suitable lab. (you can't item create and go out adventuring at the same time), some luck (you might fail) and above all a co-operative DM to script the item.

13. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31

I didn't say it was a low level weapon. It does have some pretty rough penalties, I'm still thinking of some more I can add. I did add a penalty to int. I meant to tell you the -3 to charisma is permanant.

[This message has been edited by Shadow Assassin (edited August 12, 2001).]

14. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Sheesh. Erran just gave me some more hope!
    Blessed ALFA, suren it must go completely according to the rules (if it will), but still, isn't that the best part - spend a lot of time and efforts but recieve something that only you have. No matter what, I'm playing a wizard, but item creations adds some special essence to the class. :)

EDIT: Hmmm... Seems like Tal's trying to settle despair in our hearts... :) (about the last post)

[This message has been edited by Skedaddle (edited August 13, 2001).]

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Weeell.. even if ALFA does it (well, not ALFA as a whole, more like allow it), each DM would have to do it individually. It'd still boil down to the DM making the item for you in the editor and giving it to your char in the game. But I really doubt any DM will be prepared to go through so much trouble for any single player.

16. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31

I added a -2 penalty to damage versus evil align. I did make some +1, +2, and normal damage weapons

17. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] The 'official'ALFA line on item creation:

"As far as creating the Items, Yes, they can be created and carried over to other servers. The scripting will be done by the game and carried over to your Character. As far as the Meta Magic Feats of Create Item, Potion, Wand , Etc..., the answer will (sic) to that is still out as only a partial list of skills and feats have been released.
    But fear not, because the DM can be petitioned, and the Item can be created with the TOOL SET that comes with the game, so the DM can create it for you if you meet their requirements for the Item.
    This is a touchy subject in the realm, mainly because a lot of players and DMs wish to have magic somewhat curtailed and rare in the realms. They believe that not every character should carry a +1 ( or Better ) weapon and have a ring of something or Armor +1.
    So, If these feats are not used, look for Item Creation by DMs to vary from server to server."

18. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] You show me yours I'll show you mine. :p

From two days ago, another "official" ALFA response: "I don't think anything official has been decided yet but I believe we are going to allow it. You tell the DM what you want and after a set amount of time it is available from him. He will deduct appropriate xp and gold from you upon giving it to you. Not real sure but if I were running the show that is how I would do it. Maybe have the person not be able to do anything else during the time frame but still unsure of details."

More or less as I said...

19. Cullain Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

>>>They believe that not every character should carry a +1 ( or Better ) weapon and have a ring of something or Armor +1.

Magic items are always going to be an issue with massisve multiplayer persistent worlds. I mean, the characters are temporary, the items are permanent(or at least less temporary), and eventually there are just too many +1 swords around for every first level character to not have one. There's a couple of ways around that, but there aren't many good ones. I'm interested to see how ALFA deals with magic weapon proliferation.

Cullain of Moray

[This message has been edited by Cullain (edited August 14, 2001).]

20. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Random breaking of weapons should definitely be implemented in ALFA. Otherwise in a few weeks everyone will be running around with +5 swords, best items, robes of the archmagi and so on. (Diablo, anyone?)

If something to that effect won't be implemented, it'll be just Baldur's Gate (2) all over again, where there's enough loot and magical items to supply a substantial army.

The problem is, the majority of the buyers of the game (it's the same with all RPGs) will be munchkins who don't give a shit about roleplaying but want their first magic sword in less than an hour or they ditch the game. Which is something BioWare is very much aware of. So it'll boil down to every separate online server to decide whether they'll go for Diablo style, or a more convincing role-playing style. In any case, powergaming servers will outnumber role-playing ones at least 10:1, you can be sure of that. Gotta keep the munchkins happy...

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited August 15, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.