1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weapon and Armour for a Cleric / Mage?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Ofelix, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    For my upcomming 13th game (I'm not sure I think I lost count somewhere near the 8th ;) ) I've decided to go the way of the Ultimate spell caster; the half elven cleric / mage.

Name: Ofelix
    Race; Half elf
    Alignment; Neutral Good (To match Immy's as I want to romance her)
    Stats
    STR; 10 - I don't need it
    DEX; 11 - His place is in the back row shooting spells like a mad one
    CON; 16 - +2 Hit point / level won't hurt
    INT; 18 - duh...
    WIS; 18 - DUH....
    CHA; 15 - I'm the leader after all

So basicly my brand new char will have a lot of Lore, since Mage levels give him +3 (don't sure about Cleric) and with a 18/18 WIS/INT the bonus are majors too.

So my question is what Armour (including robes mind) and weapon should he use other than his offensive spells. He's role is main healer / Kicking monster's ass with wizardry. Maybe a sling + a shield? Should be a reasonable combo.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Robe of Vecna, Staff of the Magi, and Sling of Everard. RoV lets you get the spells off fast, SotM gives you +2 AC and invis. for some stealth area spells, and when all else fails your infinite +5 bullets can hit damn near anything. :evil: Quayle is currently outfitted thusly, and he is kicking some severe a$$.

3. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If you want an alternative to the Robe of Vecna your only other choice is Elven Chain or the chainmail that you get from the black dragon in the Elf City. This is only an option because you are a multiclass mage. They allow you to continue casting your mage spells. But the bonuses to casting are definitely worth the ac difference you can get later in the game so it's your choice.

4. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Don't count out melee opportunities. Cleric + Mage buffs can turn you into a 25 strength fighter when your normal spells won't be of the greatest effect or when you just feel like clubbing stuff.

This means you have the option of keeping heavier armors and stronger weapons around (on your main fighters for example).

Rove of Vecna and Staff of the Magi are the best choices though :) .

5. Ofelix

Media:
    Robe of Vecna I know where to buy it, but where on earth is the Staff of the Magi?

And isn't Vecna supposed to be a Greyhawk god?!

6. starwalker Gems: 16/31

The staff of magi is in the bridge district. It's through the trapped door that you need the rogue stone to actually pass through. you beat all of the toughies in there and one of the items you can pick up off the floor is the staff of the Magi.

7. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

yes Vecna is a Greyhawk god but that person who sells the robe is selling stuff from other D&D worlds such as planescape and Greyhawk. Dont ask me how she got it though.

8. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

Vecna is a god in Faerun as well. Don't think that the same gods don't exist twice or thrice, etc. in multiple D&D worlds as well as the base world described in the PHB & DMG.

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Fortress Shield is a must. It's +7 vs. missile weapons, so you're relatively well protected from all missile weapons. So just in case you run out of/forget to cast it, you're still pretty well covered.

10. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

staff of the magi > fortress shield, (it's 2 handed) because of invisibility. Can't shoot what you can't see.

11. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Of course - but it isn't realistic to even attempt to acquire the Staff of the Magi until much, much later in the game - cheating aside. So until then he should stick with mace & shield/sling & shield. Use the Staff-Mace for close encounters. It's one-handed and uses the Staff proficiency - so you don't have to spend a proficiency on maces or anything right off the bat.

12. Ofelix

Media:
    Uh? Never heard of that place. Isn't the place where you also get that powerful-I-forgot-it's-name Katana? Rogue stone? You require a rogue stone?

13. Felinoid

It's called the Twisted Rune, and you get Dimension Doored in from a very peculiar door in the Bridge district. The place where you get the Celestial Fury (the katana I assume you're talking about) OTOH, is the Guarded Compound in the Temple district. Two very different places.

14. Ofelix

Media:
    Now you got me confused, is the Staff in the OTOH (whatever that may be) or the Twisted rune?

15. Adelon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

the staff is in the twisted rune in the bridge district and you need to open the door with the rogue stone (you loose it so its a costly thing and you cant leave the twisted room unless you defeat the baddy's witch is well kinda hard early game)

hope that helped

16. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

('OTOH' means 'on the other hand'.)

17. starwalker Gems: 16/31

I can do it earlier on without cheating so I don't consider it cheating to do it earlier on. That's like saying it's cheating to beat Kangaxx earlier on if you put the right items together. It's ludacrisly unjustified.

Your confusion is probably in that the Celestial Fury is found in the slavers compound which is found in the Temple District.

If you have the right mod (unfinished business i think) It actually adds a clue into the game leading you to the Twisted Rune which is through the door I mentioned in the bridge district that leads you to a confrontation with the group inside that as has been said you must beat to get back out of again.

But it's a door you can easily come across just exploring the bridge district and will trigger if you have a rogue stone in your inventory.

As it stands in the core game these are seperate little extra area's where you can encounter creatures and fight them without any affect on any storyline piece what so ever.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Ummm... What items? I'm assuming you want your guys to have a couple PfM scrolls, which can be acquired easily enough, but that's not going to save you from the beholder or the level drain of the vampire. Beholders are very tough early on. That doesn't even start to take into account that you have a lich and a powerful mage in the room, and that you probably won't be able to afford (or find) sufficient PfM scrolls to protect all of your party members, so that's just bad news when timestops and meteor showers start going off. Typically, when I'm playing a party, the TR is one of the LAST things I do before going to spellhold.

I can completely agree with Kangaxx early, because all you really need is one or two PfM scrolls and keep everyone else away to avoid his imprisonment. You can kill him almost as soon as you leave the initial dungeon (although that would hardly be RPing) because even without a +4 weapon, you can cast Melf's Minute Meteors, which hit just fine.

@Ofelix - You may also want to consider a gnomish cleric-illusionist. You intelligence max goes up to 19 and your max wisdom is 17 then. Which I suppose isn't a great trade, as mage spells per level are fixed, but clerics with a 17 in wisdom as opposed to 18 get one fewer 3rd level spell. Still, you will get more mage spells that way. The ultimate lore character actually is to take a gnomish cleric illusionist through BG1 first. You come out with 20s in both int and wis.

19. Felinoid

What do you mean 'now'? You've been confused since the first response. :shake:

OTOH is an abbreviation as Prine said. The SotM is in the Twisted Rune in the Bridge district, and the Celestial Fury is in the Guarded Compound in the Temple District.
    You don't consider that early on? Well, I suppose it matters what you've done beforehand, but I'm usually rushing to get Immy. And every time I do TR just before heading off so that I have a present to give my dear sister when we finally meet again. (They just had to take her right before her birthday, didn't they? :shake: )
    Damn straight. :thumb: Quayle is awesome. (14, 19, 7, 20, 20, 17)

20. starwalker Gems: 16/31

You actually get 2 points higher lore. All your spells and a decent little set of extra spells for your cleric side with a 19INT 21 Wis.

You get a total of 3 1st level, 3 2nd level, 2 3rd level, 34th level, and one 5th level spell for the 21 wisdom. And the difference you get in lores well makes up for the difference between 20int 20wis and the scores I've listed. not that 2 whole points extra means too much usually so I'd consider the extra cleric spells myself.

You get all your spells at 19 int for your mage side and no other bonuses for Int higher than that really and you may end up raising it throughout this game anyway. The Extra spells you get as a cleric/druid for high wisdom however is certainly reason to want to get it even higher.

@Aldeth
    It's worth a little less experience but I actually know where to hide and I can make them kill each other. The Lich runs out of spells easily enough. I never have to deal with the beholder and if you do it right you kill the last two or three(lich included) without starting into the battle with the next one so you can regroup and kill the next one with a full party.

SPOILER

There are ways to protect against level drain and I'm not really surprised but my Wizard Slayer made it a heck of a lot easier. Specially when she was wielding Belm as an offhand weapon for that extra attack a round. Even if it was with belm. A propperly timed rush on either the lich or the druid cuts down their spell casting ability very quickly. It's also a point where weapon speed plays a great factor because amongst my 5 hits a turn I could actually get in about 3 before my opponent got their turn.

The boneheaded barbarian or warrior or whatever his naked butt is was my first kill in that little encounter because until you get far enough in there is a little knook and stairs on the opposite side of the little alcove you start in from the same chamber you can slip up into to prepare and only he seems triggered enough to enter it unless you show yourself too much and you can kill him on his own. An easy kill.

The summons get spells out of the Lich including his dreaded timestop. Waiting for his spell protections to wear off might be preferable...They also draw out the beholder. The lich seems to like to sunfire when the beholder is nearby and they will attack each other. i suppose if you time it right you can go out and finish off the beholder too. But they will probably both put their fight aside long enough to go after you. The Lich Shambles so slow he gives away when he's run out of spells though. You see him coming and just send your group after him.

next I sent in some drain protected character. Followed up quickly with the rest of mine so the attacks were focused on my protected character and took the vampire down fast and dirty. Then I went after the druid that was still the other side of the table.

The Druid was my last opponent and never got to cast an actual spell because while it took me a bit to whittle her hitpoints down I'd managed to disrupt or cause spell failure to a point that she couldn't cast at all in avery quick manner once I rushed her.

I got my staff. got my way out. And Did it all before i even did Kangaxx. I think I saved Kangaxx until just before I was ready to go side with bodhi. I did have a few of the little once a day summon items to pull it off though. I had the spider because I had edwin in my party. I had the Genie because I did the out of Athlatka quests first primarily and I had the Horn that summons berserkers. don't remember how upgraded it was but the summons worked mostly as fodder anyway.

At higher levels this same character has abliterated spell casters in a single turn or made it so that their spells only work half the time or less if they servived.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.