1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WC qualifying rounds

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Pac man, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hey!!! What about New Zealand?? We are home to the official FIFA Oceania Player of the 20th Century after all.

2. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Wynton Rufer? :)

When was the last time New Zeeland came out on top of the oceanic qualification round?

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

NZ have been at the World Cup finals more recently than Australia have (until they appear at the next World Cup, that is). We were at Madrid in 1982. Australia's last World Cup was in 1974, if I remember correctly.

4. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Sure, but I didn't meant the actual participation at the World Cup.

How often they made it to the qualification matches against asian or south american teams?

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Well, the both of you stink then. Competing once every other 50 years or something isn't going to be remembered by a lot of people. :p :D

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Yeah, not like some other teams which happened to win a big tourney only once (due to a bad referee in the semi finals) and came out as a runner-up at best the other times. :)

7. Harbourboy

It's makes winning all the more exciting when it doesn't happen every day.

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Awww Fabius...are you still holding a grudge for losing against holland in the semis in 1988 ? You're not going to claim to you were clearly the better side, are you ? Because the image i remember from that game is pretty much a one way street type of game, one that could only result in one way, a deserved victory for us. :p The game prior to Germany against Ireland....now THAT was a bad referee, the goal from Kieft was made in an obvious offside position, everyone could see it, except the referee. If he had been paying better attention, you would have played against Ireland, and would have probably won your own tournament. That didn't happen, and you lost against a superior opponent, which became clear in the finals against Russia. :p

Just think of it as payback, for the worldcup you stole from us in 1974. That was also a one way street type of match, but you had Lady Luck on your side that day. We had to wait 14 friggin years for our revenge, and that it finally came on German soil was all the more satisfying. :D

But we'll see how it ends next year in the finals, Holland-Germany is a matchup i can live with. :D

9. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31

Actually, it's the opposite. If you compete once in a blue moon, you appreciate and remember it a heck of a lot better. Like when Australia whipped the US in the men's 4x100m Relay at the Olympics - an event the US had never lost before, and when one of their swimmers said they'd "smash [us] like guitars!" The fact that all four Aussie swimmers got out of the pool and started playing air guitar after the win just cemented the image further.

Absolutely. Given that soccer rates a distant fifth (at best) in the hierarchy of sports in Australia, this is a fairly big deal. Plus, after what happened four years ago and comments in recent days, it's nice to stick it to Uruguay.

10. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Granted. Although visual superiority is not all.

But the penalty for holland was nevertheless a wrong decision. Koehler played the ball.

11. Pac man Gems: 25/31

I'll give you that, but don't tell me that Klinnsman was fouled, because that one looked like a 100% schwalbe as well. Personally i think the referee gave us a penalty in return, to make up for his earlier mistake. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.