1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WC qualifying rounds

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Pac man, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Holland have a strong team, if a little weak in defence. It is twice as good as ther Germans side though.

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

It's almost unbelievable but Australia (with Hiddink as coach) has just qualified by winning against uruguay after penalties. I wonder if Hiddink can pull another stunt like last one with South Korea.

Now if Trinidad&Tobago manage to qualify in a few hours we will have 4 :eek: dutch coaches on the WC.

Van Basten (netherlands) Advocaat (south korea) Hiddink (australia) and perhaps Beenhakker (Trinidad&Tobago)

3. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Would be cool with the aussies as world champs :) Just what FIFA want's as a promotion of this magnificient game.

Still I would place my money on Italy, they are up and coming next year.

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Congrats to the Socceroos, great show. :)

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Haha, Don Leo made it as well with his Trinidad and Tobago.

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Good job Aus, I'm glad they got through. One less dirty South American team in the WC is a good thing.

As a side note, I can't see Trinidad and Tobago pulling many trees up in the WC with that display... I think my Chesterfield would have beat them

7. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Wouldn't it be a hoot if Trinidad and Tobago, South Korea, Australia, and Holland all ended up in the same group ? 4 different countries with one thing incommon, their coach is Dutch. :D

8. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Good on the Socceroos for breaking a 32-year drought! Mark Schwarzer is a national hero today; a strange thing, since soccer is probably the number-four football code in the country (but probably leapfrogging one of the rugby codes, now). It was made all the sweeter by comments yesterday from the Uruguayan midfielder, Alvaro Recoba: that Uruguay should qualify for the World Cup simply because it is Uruguay. It's exactly that kind of attitude that fires teams up to achieve what people don't think is possible. The reaction at Federation Square had to be seen to be believed - everyone immobile, eyes fixed on the screen, and when Aloisi nailed that penalty kick, several thousand people just went ape-****.

I'm realistic about our chances in Germany, but hey, at least this time, we're there. Congratulations to the team and to Guus Hiddink, and I only wish Johnny Warren was still around to see this.

9. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

I am happy that the australian team will play here...again. :)

They deserve to be here. FIFA has treated the oceanian qualificant like something that they scraped from their shoes for decades, and the urus were terribly unfair, both on and besides the field.

On the same notice I'm glad the swiss team made it. After the end of the match several swiss players were assaulted by turkish players and security guards. Really sad.

10. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Simply disgusting what the Turks did, they should be banned from all international stages for at least two decades. England has been banned for much less in the past. The players are sour losers and behaved like common hooligans, and the fans' behaviour during the Swiss anthem is all the more reason not to let them join the EU.

Well, that last bit was a bit much perhaps, but i'm just glad those cavemen are not invited to the party next year. :D

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    Turkis fans are the worst in the world, but everyone still talks about England fans being bad. We're no saints but we're not a scratch on those bunch of wankers.

If it was England we'd be fined, banned and all sorts. FIFA would throw thw book at us. Even Spanish and Italian fans are worse than we are!!

12. Pac man Gems: 25/31

The English are okay, they just can't hold their liquor, that's all. :D

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    Tell me that we we meet up for a drink! :D
    I can drink I'll have you know :thumb: .

14. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31

True, but to be fair, Oceania has never been in the same league as just about any other automatic-qualifier area. I feel North America is over-represented, but honestly, if we can't beat the fifth-placed team from Asia or South America, I think our case for direct qualification is a bit more tenuous.

Still, very glad to have stuffed it up the militant and arrogant Uruguayans, but I'm sympathetic to the rest. After all, I know all too well how it feels when your team doesn't qualify for the biggest sporting event on the planet - I'd never seen Australia make it until last night.

15. Pac man Gems: 25/31

I've been what some would call "an alcoholic" for years in a row, when i was still working at the Heineken breweries. I drank between 20 and 40 bottles every friggin day, until it got to the point that beer didn't even make me tipsy anymore. I can drink lager all day long and you won't notice a damn thing. It sounds like i'm proud of that, but it's exactly the opposite. I'm proud i stopped doing that before it would have gotten me killed. :)

I still am pretty much immune for beer though, it won't get me drunk. Matter of fact, i haven't been pissdunk since i was 25 for as far as i can recollect any outbursts. :D And it's not like i haven't tried.

16. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

&

Well, breeding will tell.
    But arent we relieved to be spared their visit! :D

This is all the more precious cause some assorted Turkish groups here proclaimed that the WM 2006 would be their gig. Seeing as how they feel that Germany is already their turf...

This is the sweetest revenge! :D Cookies for the Swiss.

17. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Australia has been in the WC before.
    Congratulations to them for making for the World Cup! :banana:

I always thought unfair how FIFA decided that Australia always have to play against 'who-couldn't-make-it-but-we-give-you-another-shot', I remember that Argentina had to play with them because we couldn't make it through 'normal' qualifiaction system. IMHO, every continent have to have its own representatives. Who decide that Oceania have to have one team, Africa two, etc.,?

18. Pac man Gems: 25/31

That would probably mean that Europe would lose another spot or two, which will never happen as long as there's a European FIFA president sitting on the throne. Don't get me wrong, i too think Australia hasn't been treated as an equal member in the past, but then again....if you're not good enough to beat #4 of South America, then hy even bother going to the final rounds ? I don't even consider Uruguay as one of the traditional topnations. Sure, they have been worldchampions twice, but that's ancient history. Right now the only thing they are good at, is foul play and cheating. I'm glad that a team like that isn't going to be in the WC next year.

19. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The qualification in some parts of the world is a joke. I mean, T&T playing off against Bahrain about a spot in the WC, thats insane, none of the teams has anything to get in the WC except humiliation. At the same time there are fifteen teams in Europe who are vastly better than those two combined.

As for Australia, if it had been in any other way than it is now the Aussies would get a free spot every single WC simply because the "competetion" in their group is non-existant. I mean, St. Lucia, Solomon islands and so on?

Bad enough that the US and Mexico already get free spots in each World Cup, shouldnt give the Aussies one too. In the North American group only the winner should be automtically qualified, both the second and third should have to play some play off. Same with Asia really. The very fact that South Korea and Japan qualifies every single time is because they are immensly better than their competition to such an extent that there is no competition and every WC there is some poor team from the Middle east or thereabouts who gets to the WC and go home after three losses and 1-15 in goal difference. More spots to Europe or Africa or even both and less to Asia (which seems to be everything east of Turkey) and North America.

20. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

this is why they will play in the asian zone next time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.