1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WC qualifying rounds

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Pac man, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Last night was painful, not even the :beer: helped me hide my shame for the dismal performance, although I have to say it was down to a few factors, lack of support, sven, rooney, sven, SVEN! ARGHHH!!!! can you count??? 4-4-2!!! IDIOT!

2. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Netherlands 4 - Andorra 0

I watched the match from the 60th minute and I found it rather dull. Netherlands played with 10 men. I heared the first half was good, but unfortunately I have not seen it.

Van Nistelrooy missed a penalty... :rolleyes:

3. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Sven can't win - if he drops Beckham, Lampard or Gerrard he'll get slated. But I can't see how he play them all in the central midfield. But this is probably the only way he can keep them happy. Rooney is not a wide attacking player - hence his reaction last night.As previously stated 4-4-2 is the key - but someone will be throwing his toys out of the pram for being forced to play out wide.

Can't beleive we manage to beat our C team on Saturday and Loose to the D team on Wednesday. While the B team has won its last two games :p

4. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Too many cooks in the kitchen, there doesnt feel like theres a head chef anymore, he lost the plot when he went to spain, hes just a gimic, not a footballer...

5. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Beckham is still the best passer of the ball in the country - maybe in the world. Last night is all the evidence you need.
    But whether or not he should play every game based on this is a different matter. I personally think he has too much influence, the picture of Nancy and Posh in the crowd on Saturday sort of points to that fact. And let face it the guy is not intelligent enough to have a say in running the team, maybe the 4-5-1 was poshs idea (I jest, but she did teach becks how to talk properly after all).

Someone needs to come in and ruffle some feathers, if these guys are not arsed to put 100% effort or do what there told to do, they should be dropped, no matter who they are. The prospect of missing the world cup should be enough to scare some passion into them.
    The press don't help at all, they pile loads of pressure on, yet if he had'nt have selected Beckham, Lampard and Gerrard, Ericson would have been slated anyway, even if we won. But how do you play 3 world class midfielders who all want to play down the centre? (Sven is too scared to upset them, I actually beleive he pretty much picks the team the press and players want him to)

There are too many prima donnas, too little passion. A captain who is very good but is overated by himself, the manager and anybody who fancies him (including men) A gifted but overweight gypo upfront who blows his top everytime things don't go his own way, and wastes good team oppurtunities by holding onto to the ball too long (wright-phillips is also an example of this as was Joe Cole).
    A striker who even in his mid twenties has his best years behind him, due to injury.
    A central Defender who is more interested in his pay packet, fashion and music than playing for his country - showed no loyality to a club that stood by him when he missed a drug test.

I am hankering for the days of Butcher, Reid, Robson etc. who overall had less ability - but showed far more pride at wearing their countries shirt.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sven needs to make way for an English manager with a bit of passion. Big Sam Allardyce wou;d be my choice, or maybe Psycho.

Owen fluffin' Hargreaves... Who is he??

The recent games under Sven have been embarassing. I can't remember the last time we played well. He needs to go.

7. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Spain 1 - Servia & Montenegro 1; that's mean Spain has to win the 2 final matches and hope to Servia to lose at least 1.

8. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

We won Khazakstan 1-2 but our performance was awful. Now we have to win the two remaining games in order to get the second place but if we continue playing like this, we have no chance to beat the Danes in their home. Rehhagel must overcome his stubborness and his loyalty to some of the players who won the Euro 2004 and bring new blood to the team.

9. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Right. Here's a longer evaluation from me about the full European standings:

---

Group 1

Standings:
    Netherlands-10-9-1-0-28
    Czech Republic-10-8-0-2-24
    Romania-11-7-1-3-22
    Finland-10-5-1-4-16
    Macedonia FYR-11-2-2-7-8
    Andorra-11-1-2-8-5
    Armenia-11-1-1-9-4

Games:
    Finland - Romania
    Czech Republic - Netherlands
    Andorra - Armenia
    Finland - Czech Republic
    Netherlands - Macedonia FYR

Predictions:
    Finland will probably win against Romania, Czech will defeat Netherlands, and Andorra and Armenia will draw. The final round will end with Finland loosing home against Czech while the Netherlands defeats Macedonia.

Predicted Standings:
    Netherlands-12-10-1-1-31
    Czech Republic-12-10-0-2-30
    Romania-12-7-1-4-22
    Finland-12-6-1-5-19
    Macedonia FYR-12-2-2-8-8
    Andorra-12-1-3-8-6
    Armenia-12-1-2-9-5

Final Comments:
    This means that Netherlands qualify for the World Cup, where they belong and were missed in 2002, and the Czech will probably qualify as one of the best second placed, depending on the amount of goals they score.

---

Group 2

Standings:
    Ukraine-11-7-3-1-24
    Turkey-11-5-5-1-20
    Greece-10-5-3-2-18
    Denmark-10-4-4-2-16
    Albania-10-4-0-6-12
    Georgia-10-2-3-5-9
    Kazakhstan-10-0-0-10-0

Games:
    Georgia - Kazakhstan
    Ukraine - Albania
    Denmark - Greece
    Albania - Turkey
    Greece - Georgia
    Kazakhstan - Denmark

Predictions:
    Georgia will beat Kazakhstan, Ukraine will beat Albania, and Denmark will defeat Greece with home advantage. Could also end as a draw, or maybe even a Greece win, but I guess a Danish win. Turkey will then defeat Albania easily, and Greece will sack Georgia with as much ease as Denmark will win over Kazakhstan.

Predicted Standings:
    Ukraine-12-8-3-1-27
    Turkey-12-6-5-1-23
    Denmark-12-6-4-2-22
    Greece-12-6-3-3-21
    Albania-12-4-0-8-12
    Georgia-12-3-3-6-12
    Kazakhstan-12-0-0-12-0

Final Comments:
    Sorry BOC, and sorry me who enjoy Danish football, but it seems that Ukraine and Turkey will come out on top here. At least Schevshenko will have a chance to finally see a World Cup, which he deserves.

---

Group 3

Standings:
    Portugal-10-7-3-0-24
    Slovakia-10-5-4-1-19
    Russia-10-5-4-1-19
    Latvia-11-4-3-4-15
    Estonia-10-4-2-4-14
    Liechtenstein-11-2-2-7-8
    Luxembourg-10-0-0-10-0

Games:
    Slovakia - Estonia
    Russia - Luxembourg
    Portugal - Liechtenstein
    Slovakia - Russia
    Luxembourg - Estonia
    Portugal - Latvia

Predictions:
    Portugal will beat Latvia, and Estonia will beat Luxembourg. Slovakia versus Russia will be tough and will end as a draw. Portugal will then defeat Liechtenstein while Russia and Slovakia each scores wins.

Predicted Standings:
    Portugal-12-9-3-0-30
    Slovakia-12-6-5-1-23
    Russia-12-6-5-1-23
    Estonia-12-5-2-5-18
    Latvia-12-4-3-5-15
    Liechtenstein-12-2-2-8-8
    Luxembourg-12-0-0-12-0

Final Comments:
    Unsuprisingly, Portugal qualifies. More suprisingly, Slovakia manages to sneak a place before the Russians into the extra qualification rounds. Estonia also suprisingly manages to sneak up before Latvia.

---

Group 4

Standings:
    Switzerland-8-4-4-0-16
    France-8-4-4-0-16
    Israel-9-3-6-0-15
    Ireland-8-3-4-1--13
    Cyprus-8-1-1-6-4
    Faroe Islands-9-0-1-8-1

Games:
    Israel - Faroe Islands
    Cyrpus - Ireland
    Switzerland - France
    Ireland - Switzerland
    France - Cyprus

Predictions:
    One of the most interesting groups. Israel will win their last game, together with Ireland while the Switzerland - France game ends tie. In the final round, Ireland will probably win against Switzerland, while France defeats Cyprus.

Predicted Standings:
    France-10-5-5-0-20
    Ireland-10-5-4-1--19
    Israel-10-4-6-0-18
    Switzerland-10-4-5-1-17
    Cyprus-10-1-1-8-4
    Faroe Islands-10-0-1-9-1

Final Comments:
    I'm kinda sad that both Switzerland and Israel misses the playoff, but I'm even more mad that France manages to sneak a win. Here's hoping their arrogance will prevent them from qualifying!
    ---

Group 5

Standings:
    Italy-8-5-2-1-17
    Norway-8-3-3-2-12
    Slovenia-8-3-3-2-12
    Scotland-8-2-4-2-10
    Belarus-8-1-4-3-7
    Moldova-8-1-2-5-5

Games:
    Italy - Moldova
    Belarus - Norway
    Slovenia - Scotland
    Italy - Slovenia
    Norway - Moldova
    Scotland - Belarus

Predictions:
    Italy will soundly defeat Moldova while Norway and Scotland scores win for themselves. In the final round, Italy, Norway, and Scotland will each score a win for themselves.

Predicted Standings:
    Italy-10-7-2-1-23
    Norway-10-5-3-2-18
    Scotland-10-4-4-2-16
    Slovenia-10-3-3-4-12
    Belarus-10-1-4-5-7
    Moldova-10-1-2-7-5

Final Comments:
    Wohoo! Italy in Germany 2006! Norway seems to be taking the extra qualification place, while Scotland fell while fighting bravely.

---

Group 6

Standings:
    Poland-9-8-0-1-24
    England-8-6-1-1-19
    Austria-8-3-3-2-12
    Northern Ireland-8-2-3-3-9
    Azerbaijan-9-0-3-6-3
    Wales-8-0-2-6-2

Games:
    England - Austria
    Northern Ireland - Wales
    England - Poland
    Wales - Azerbaijan
    Austria - Northern Ireland

Predictions:
    Heh, this group wasn't even really interesting until England's defeat against North Ireland. Anyway; both England and North Ireland will scores wins in the first round. Next round ends with wins for Austria and Wales, while Poland and England ties.

Predicted Standings:
    Poland-10-8-1-1-25
    England-10-7-2-1-23
    Austria-10-4-3-3-15
    Northern Ireland-10-3-3-4-12
    Wales-10-1-2-7-5
    Azerbaijan-10-0-3-7-3

Final Comments:
    Interesting. I'm proud to see that Poland will qualify, and I kinda hope that England will take their hooligans with them to the next cup. Wouldn't be the same without them, so good luck in the extra qualifications!

---

Group 7

Standings:
    Serbia and Montenegro-8-4-4-0-16
    Spain-8-3-5-0-14
    Bosnia-Herzegovina-8-3-4-1-13
    Belgium-8-3-2-3-11
    Lithuania-8-2-3-3-9
    San Marino-8-0-0-8-0

Games:
    Lithuania - Serbia and Montenegro
    Bosnia-Herzegovina - San Marino
    Belgium - Spain
    Serbia and Montenegro - Bosnia-Herzegovina
    San Marino - Spain
    Lithuania - Belgium

Predictions:
    SaM, Spain, and Bosnia will each take a win in the first round, and SaM, Spain, and Belgium will take wins in the last round.

Predicted Standings:
    Serbia and Montenegro-10-6-4-0-22
    Spain-10-5-5-0-20
    Bosnia-Herzegovina-10-4-4-2-16
    Belgium-10-4-2-4-14
    Lithuania-10-2-3-5-9
    San Marino-10-0-0-10-0

Final Comments:
    Belgium played bad this qualification, and if they don't shape up, they won't be seeing action in a long time. Kinda suprising to most that Serbia oes better than Spain, but I kinda saw it miles away.

---

Group 8

Standings:
    Sweden-8-7-0-1-21
    Croatia-8-6-2-0-20
    Hungary-8-4-1-3-13
    Bulgaria-8-3-2-3-11
    Iceland-9-1-1-7-4
    Malta-9-0-2-7-2

Games:
    Croatia - Sweden
    Bulgaria - Hungary
    Hungary - Croatia
    Malta - Bulgaria
    Sweden - Iceland

Predictions:
    A very intense group, especially with Croatia only managing a tie against Malta. Croatia have to face the Swedish football machine at home, and the Swedes are seeking revenge for their only defeat so far, against Croatia in a game where the referees were worse than in the WC 2002. I predict a Swedish win, but you can call that biased. Anyway, Hungary will probably beat Bulgaria at the same time. In the last round, Croatia, Bulgaria, and Sweden will each end up with a win that ends the European main qualification.

Predicted Standings:
    Sweden-10-9-0-1-27
    Croatia-10-7-2-1-23
    Hungary-10-5-1-4-16
    Bulgaria-10-4-2-4-14
    Iceland-10-1-1-8-4
    Malta-10-0-2-8-2

Final Comments:
    This series will end like most predicted, but not after an intense qualification. Sweden to the World Cup, and Croatia to the extra qualifications.

---

Extra qualifications:

The two best twos auto-qualify to the World Cup, so the Czech Republic and Turkey will be in the World Cup without any extra qualification. However, these teams have to do the extra qualification for the last three positions:

Slovakia
    Ireland
    Norway
    England
    Spain
    Croatia

Now, there is no way I can predict how the games will be, but I guess that upon looking at the teams only, England and Spain will definatly take a place each in the World Cup if they don't screw it up. I don't know about the rest of the teams, but I guess that Croatia or Ireland will snitch the last spot, preferably Ireland.

---

So, there you have it, my takes on the European Qualifications. Thoughts?

10. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Spain HAS to win the last two games and HOPE tha SaM LOSE at least one game to qualify and if SaM win those 2 games, Spain even may lose the chance to play the play off (the consolation prize).
    By the way, everybody here want to Spain not to qualify for the WC because nobody wants this team, people say players don't worth to be there.

11. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Interesting predictions but you've forgottrn the Fifa fiddles against England. First if we end up in the qualifying section we will draw Spain and if we get through that surprise surprise we'll be in the same group as the dutch AGAIN and is the republic make it they'll be in the same group as well......

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    We'll still win the group, Strider. Don't worry. We ust need to beat Austria and Poland at home, and we go through as group winners. No problems.

13. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Normally I'd agree, but after the Denmark and N.Ireland games I'm not so sure.
    We have the more than enough ability - but not the passion, and maybe not the manager.

14. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Well, we're in the driverseat now. We can even afford to lose to the Czechs, all we need to do is win the homematch against Macedonia, and we win the group. 28 points out of 10 matches....it could be worse. :D

And i'd like to take the opportunity to point and laugh at those lame Belgians who are NOT going to Germany next year. You did the same to us the last time we screwed up. :D

15. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Kick off...
    Spain - Belgiun under way and Belgiuns are giving a hard time to Spaniards.

That's IF Spain gets to the WC. So far is veeeeery difficult.

16. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Halftime in Prague.

Czech rep- Holland 0-2 :D

I'm not gonna celebrate just yet, we've given away a 2-0 lead against those guys before, and not even all that long ago.

It's fun watching the boys in orange dominate all over the pitch though. Robben is always keeping two or three defenders occupied, and vd Vaart is simply brilliant since he moved to the Bundesliga.

17. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

[​IMG] Defeated by Denmark 1-0, now we are definately out.

18. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Nothing changed, final score 0-2, we're officially qualified now. :D And if i'm not mistaken are we the only European nation that went undefeated through the qualifying rounds, correct me if i'm wrong though.

Anyway, time for beer....lots of it :grin:

19. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Hell yeah, Wij gaan naar Duitsland toe, Wij gaan naar duitsland toe!

20. Pac man Gems: 25/31

I'm definitely going to a few matches, i hope we're playing in Dortmund, they got some kickass beer overthere. :grin:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.