1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WC Football started!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Shadowcouncil, May 31, 2002.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Stupid lousy brits, grumble mutter. Why couldnt they have lost? Now Sweden have to get one point from Argentina to go through. Blast! But I am disapointed at the argentinians, they are not what they are supposed to be...

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Aye, I'm shocked too! But even if Sweden should lose to Argentina they will go through in case Nigeria beats England.

Maybe nigerians fighting for their honor will take (a sated and overconfident?) England by surprise? Well, it could happen. :)

3. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] england won 1-0!

:i'vejustcome:

4. ArchAngel Guest

How cruel that Italy lost. Two goals denied and one shot one the inside of the sidebar. Oh dear. But Italy is a great team in my opinion. Sad if they have to leave the tournament. The game against Mexico is gonna be so exciting. Woohoo

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Brazil-China 4-0 ... at the moment. A pity, the chinese are playing reall nice football, worlds better then all this kicking and hacking that characterized the last german games and argentine-england ... it's not even that Brazil is dominating the game, they only shoot the goals ...

PS: It was Argentine-England ... right?

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited June 08, 2002).]

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Are we watching the same game Ragusa? Brazil have it all, it is not about who has the ball the most. It is about who creates anything with the ball. The chinese dont, not much atleast. Brazil is kicking their butt with ease.

I am shocked by Italy's result, they did what I never thought they would do. Fail in the defence, letting their opponents into the game. This is a strange WC, exciting and interesting but strange.

7. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

[​IMG] GO CROATIA!!! I really enjoyed that. First half was a bit boring, but the second half was amazing! :D:roll:

Hmmm... so there's only Spain and Brazil who definitely go through so far right?

8. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Croats got a lucky shot and Italy's equaliser at the very least was a legal goal imo.
    Oh well.. Congratz to Croatia :)

9. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Too bad the Netherlands dont play! Now my favo-country is Denmark. Or maybe Portugal if they are in.

10. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Actually the Arg-Eng game was good fottball, not hack and slash, unfortuantly some players got a little rough. some of the fouls by the Argentines were horredous, Battistuta ramming Cole was just appalling.
    It is good they put a decent ref in though, i think they knew that any game with the argies was going to be dirty.

11. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    2-1 currently in Mexico-Equador and only 15 minutes to go, if it stays that way, Mexico goes to the second round. This WC keeps on surprising me.

[This message has been edited by Uytuun (edited June 09, 2002).]

12. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Go France! All the WAY!:grin::wave::spin:

13. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Geez, I just heard there were street protests in Russia after they lost to Japan today. I think they now have to beat Denmark to qualify.

14. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31

On that related subject, Japan won its first ever World Cup game ever today. I watched about the last half of it and it was a thrilling match. The Japanese play with a lot of moxie and I hope they qualify for the "big tourney".

The crowd there was intense too, a lot of Japanese spirit in THAT arena..

15. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Protests, heck. There were street murders in Russia after they lost a WC game? Whose idea was it to put up huge outdoor televisions in a city with lots of soccer hooligans of their own?

And how the heck did the US just tie South Korea? (Well, I know how: our bitchin' goalie.) Could we actually make it to the next round? Whoa. Cosmic, man.

16. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] Vukodlak, Denmark isn't even in Russia's group. Are you making a fancy definition of impossibility? :1eye:
    (Your Eyes can deceive you, don't trust them.)

Yeah Shralp, It would be a shame if a great soccer nation as US would be eliminated already.
    [Insert sarcasm tag here, for the love of shralp :D]

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited June 11, 2002).]

17. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Oh, yes. The mighty football nation of the US of A.

Lucky to get a point I thought, but at least now they need only a single point against a very poor Polish side to go through.

Anyone watch the speed skating in the olympics? Just wondered if anyone could shed some light on the issue there?

18. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    The USA is really one of the surprises of the tournament, they made so much progress since WC '98. Another promising one is Japan (and especially Inamoto who played a fantastic game against Rusia).

Belgium-Tunesia 1-1, and one of the worst games so far. I have to admit it, the Belgians really don't deserve to go to the 1/8 finals

19. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Heh. My point was precisely that the US is NOT a soccer power. But we seem to be doing ok this year. Strange.

Oh, and the speedskating thing: A South Korean won it, but he was disqualified for cutting someone off, so the gold went to the second-place finisher, an American.

South Korea was as up in arms as South Korea ever gets in situations not involving North Korean or Japanese occupation.

20. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Oops sorry Noblenitpicker I meant Belgium.

Atleast I hope that this time I got it right.

Hmmm, Portugal seems to have recovered nicely.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.