1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WC Football started!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Shadowcouncil, May 31, 2002.

1. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    almost correct headbanger: 2-2 :grin: . It wasn't very nice football, and the belgian defence was worthless. All in all an ok result I think.

2. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] Japan should have gotten the last goal allowed. Free kick to belgium? Really... :toofar: Their two feet met. What is this. Sissy sports? No touching allowed...
    The judge should go play with his dolls instead, if that isn't too violent.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    USA won against Portugal 3-2 after having a 3-0 lead! They are alot better than I thought, or Portugal is alot worse than I would have thought. Vitor Baia wasnt impressive at all and Figo seems to be in a bad shape. Nothing like he was during the EC of 2000. An interesting championship this.

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

well... referee's are also only human...

Congratulations USA, for beating Portugal in an exciting game. Portugal is supposed to be an outsider, a good country... so this is a great victory.

In the friendly match with the Netherlands (0-2 for Netherlands) I already saw that UAS made much progression.

Unfortunatly, the Netherlands didn't qualify, it was Portugal that eneded above us... :(

5. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] Mollusken wrote

Haha Mollusken. There is no way around it now. You are gonna eat those words on a plate with americans and asians laughing straight at you. :spin:

EDIT; Is it me or does Ireland have a player called "Kill Bane"? On Sweedish TV4 they keep saying something that sounds that way.

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited June 05, 2002).]

6. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I've got to say it's shocking that pay TV has been allowed to buy up the WC rights.

C'mon England. Half the games on BBC, half on ITV not one on SKY....

I don't actually think SKY was allowed to bid for it here. Some sporting events they are not allowed to bid for, like the WC, European Championships, Olympics, Wimbledon, The Open... (this may only apply to exclusive rights btw).

Good rule in my opinion, although it wouldn't bother me overly, since every pub I go to show sky sports, and I've got a dish at home as well. ;)

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Well, the first round of the European Chapionship, where only 16 countries play, is also not the very best, but Mollusken is right I think. Take a look at the last 2 World Cups. from the 8 teams in the Quarterfinals, 6 countries where European.
    Take for example the qualification poule where the Netherlands played in. It contained Portugal, Ireland and The Netherlands. So one of the 3 countries couldn't go to the WK, and 1 had to play against another country to qualificate, where all 3 countries are better then a lot of other teams that are on the WC.

For countries from other continents, it is much easier to qualificate for the WC, take for example the USA. They play against teams like canada.... so for them it is evry easy to go to the WC... we don't go... but we did beat USA.... On the WK there are more countries that aren't good... for example China, Uruguay, Costa Rica, Mexico, Tunis, Saudi....

I vote for a worldwide qualification, not per continent, this wuold make the qualification system more fair... and it would prevent that teams that are not good enough can play on the WC while other teams that are good cannot. On a worldcup, the best teams need to get a chance, and off course, when you are really good, you can also be first in the qualification when all goes well... But is is still not the best way in my opinion.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nobleman, it is Kevin Kilbane. A decent irish midfielder ;)
    What coverage does danish TV have? I saw the USA match on danish TV as it was on pay tv here. It seems that swedish and danish TV overlaps quite often :D

9. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

You're missing the point I think.

The World Cup finals needs to be seen as a world wide competition not as a Europe / South American one. (And yes, there would be no other teams).

It would be like winning in American Sports like Baseball, Grid Iron, Basketball etc where they proclaim the winning teams in an all American competition, to be "World Champions".

Don't forget that Europe get nearly half of all the places in the finals, and in fairness, not all European contries are *that* good at football.

10. joacqin

Media:
    1-1!!!! Eire evened the score out in the 92nd minute! What a thrill ride! Nothing beats the WC!! Final whistle! 1-1! Got damn! Even if the football wasnt all that great the excitment! the thrill! It doesnt get much better than this!

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

World Cup means Best Teams of the World... no matter where they are from. On the World Cup Tabeltennis also almost only play people from china :) The best teams from all over the world.... but they need to eb good.

GOAL! Ireland makes 1-1 at the very end of the game. :) Sorry Ragusa but I like it :)

12. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] :grin: that equaliser by ireland was amazing :grin:
    I'm not even irsih and i still jumped up when i saw it :grin::happy::grin:

13. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] Awww Headbanger. IT is so cute. This is the third time I've seen you mention that the Netherlands isn't in the WC finals.. :lol:
    World cup means the best teams in the world, Headbanger? I would say it meant a cup for all the world.

Anyway Half the teams in the WC are from Europe so of course there should be more of them in the quarter finals. Perhaps European football is better, But Asian, American and African teams are more exciting to watch in my opinion.

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited June 05, 2002).]

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] AAAAARGH, AAAARGH, AAAAAGH!!!! MORONS, STUPID MORONS! ... manage to catch a goal in the bloody 92nd minute !!! :mad::mad::flaming::flaming::flaming:

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited June 06, 2002).]

15. ArchAngel Guest

Hey, Ragusa. Football is supposed to bring the good out in people. Are you sure you're ok? :)

Anyway, Denmark must play a draw against France now, to get a second place. This is so exciting! I love the World Cup. Wooohooooo.

16. joacqin

Media:
    France is in deep shit! What a sensation it would be if they wont go through to the second round. Henry sent off..
    It may be technically correct but you very rarely get a red card for doing such a tackle. Being a referee isnt a walk in the park.

0-0 both teams still have a chance but damn it is tight. France have an extreme amount of bad luck. Not a single ball that goes their way. If you compare to USA yesterday and their luck, if France had had it they would have won today.

[This message has been edited by joacqin (edited June 06, 2002).]

17. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] good work nobleman. denmark might actually qualify ahead of france! :frog:

:yot: i'm offended by that accusation, wolfy. :grin:

[This message has been edited by the god (edited June 07, 2002).]

18. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Hey the god I always thought you were French?

Oh, BTW I think France has to win by at least 2 goals to go through

:tie::tie:

[This message has been edited by Vukodlak (edited June 06, 2002).]

19. joacqin

Media:
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDEN!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
    2-1 against Nigeria!! What the hell has happened with my dear team? I havent seen them play like this in ages!! Wohoooo!!

20. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Wooooo!!!

1-0 to England at half-time :D

[Edit]

Scratch that, 1-0 to England at full time!! :D

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited June 07, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.