1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Warcraft III (after all these years)

Discussion in 'Warcraft & Starcraft' started by Fly2tHeSkY, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I was just curious to see what people think of this game after so many years.

It has won SO MANY awards and to be honest, I think it deserves every single one. I'm pretty sure it will go down as one of the greatest RTS games in history :D

The campaign was very exhilarating to say the least. It was very thorough, although I do feel that towards the end there could have been a few more missions for the later races. Four races was also an interesting change from the usual two from the warcraft series, but a welcome one.

The Cinematics were absolutely brilliant; especially considering the time the game was released. I really enjoyed the opening movie with the Human & Orc battling it out, clinging to their old hatreds until an infernal came and obliterated them both ;)

I will admit that playing a lot of ladder games online tends to get annoying, especially with all of the race-*****ing that people do (Night Elf is still horribly imbalanced even after the latest patch and Orcs tend to be the weakest :() AND considering the fact that I'm from Australia, the ping isn't too good...

Nevertheless, WCIII has been one of the games I still continue to go back to after so long and I was just wondering if anyone else around here feels the same way?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There's something magical about most of Blizzard's games... I had tons of fun playing through WC3 and all the extra Orc missions in the end. I don't really have the time or much of a desire to play it online so I appreciated its great single-player campaign that much more.

3. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    "Earth, Storm and Fire... heed my call" :D

I'm generally lousy at RTS games... but I made myself sit and play through WCIII and FT, no cheats - that says it all.

The cinematics are brilliant (the kodo beast at the intro, the rose petals falling on the glove when Arthas returns home, the wisps at the Tree of Life...) Just magical.

Most of the units and the heroes had something to make them special and likeable. Grunts, Druids of the Claw, Hypogriff Riders, Beast Master, Misha...
    The first time I used Starfall... ah, the good days.

The graphics were easy going and fun and the atmosphere of the game was serious and humorous at the same time... Still makes me smile.

I've never played it online and never will, I think, (I'm beyond failing on strategic points) but I had great fun with the campaign and the skirmishes.

I still install it and play through it from time to time. :)

/me types tenthleveltaurenchieftain in console and puts her headphones on

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I with Tal and Lor here - I liked the single player version - never got into playing it on line. I have high hopes for SC2, and eventually, D3.

5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

WC3 was a good game... except the Night Elf campaign. Damn, that was painful.

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I enjoyed it, but got bogged down at the end of the Undead campaign because I couldn't stop all three fronts...

7. Fly2tHeSkY

Do you mean the Undead campaign in RoC or tFT?

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I cheated my way through 2 or 3 missions (WC3+TFT) because they were so obviously unbalanced that it wasn't even funny. That didn't really detract from my enjoyment though, I just didn't want to do as many reloads as it would have taken to get through.

9. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

RoC. The closest I came was 13 seconds left. There were just too many sides for attacks to come from...

10. Fly2tHeSkY

The first couple of times I played it (when I was hopeless case) I found myself struggling to beat the clock, however after I got a little more experienced, it (and every other mission) became relatively simple :)

As for that level, I found the best way was to take the mine early and have at least 3-4 shades roaming the place. It's pretty impossible to go on the offensive so I just kept most of my forces dead centre in the middle (north of the beacon) which enabled a quick response to attacks from either side. Unlike regular ladder, towers are essential in that level lol

11. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i must admit that i am not much a fan of wc3, i have played it a little with a few friends and it was great fun.

but i would rather play WC2 if i had the choice, 2 races nothing more is needed

12. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Arrgh.
    Some minor spoils here.

I'll have to start a new thread.

:cool:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.