1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Warcraft 3

Discussion in 'Warcraft & Starcraft' started by Sapiryl, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Okay, I just want to know if any of you have bought this game yet and if any of you have finished it.

My older brother beat the game this past weekend and overall...I'd say the story was horrible. Gameplay was fun and the new units were fabulous, but the lack of substance was kinda disturbing.

On a kind of aside, in Night Elf mission 2 in the upper right hand corner of the screen hidden behind some trees...is a hydralisk from Starcraft. A preview perhaps?

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I completed the game a while ago. I agree that the story wasn't that good, but the gameplay rocks. This will be another huge success at Battle Net, that's for sure.

And if you've completed the game you'll notice some other StarCraft effects in the special version of the credits movie.

3. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I have not completed the whole campaign yet and still I agree that the story is not the greatest, but the new stuff like the units are awesome. :D

[ August 06, 2002, 05:57: Message edited by: Abyssal Knight ]

4. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Is this one in 3D this time?

5. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

:sosad:

:sosad:

Sigh. I suck at this game...

But it's a good one, and addictive as well.

6. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

Go to www.blizzard.com to check out the graphics. The gameplay is ridiculously addictive and the spell effects are fabulous.

Yeah, there are a lot of SC references in W3. Like the 3rd (I could be mistaken) Human mission. On some of the buildings there are phrases like "Bob's Guns" which come right off of some of the doodads in SC. Also, a Terran Marine appears in the credits.

BTW - the hydralisk in Night Elf mission 2 will join your party if you get to it.

7. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I played through the first 5 missions or so.. and I thought they had put way too much emphasis on the storyline... cutscenes all over the place... while at the same time keeping it all very simple, maybe because they're aware of the fact that they have a huge audience around ages 11-14... I mean, if they want a simple storyline, then at least keep it in the background.

8. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

This game is awesome. Now, obviously coming from RPGs, an RTS is not going to measure up in terms of storyline. Relative only to other real time strategy games, the storyline of WC3 is excellent. Think back to Starcraft or Command & Conquer; no other RTS matches WC3's story.

Of course, in RTS storyline is icing...gameplay is what matters. And Warcraft has some of the best gameplay of any RTS ever. Add to that the unique hero system, the excellent graphics and sound, the level of detail (if you continuously click on units, they say some hilarious lines. Human Peasant: "You're the King? Well I never voted for you." Night Elf Dryad: "I'll lure the enemy with my human-call; 'I'm so wasted! I'm so wasted!'", and above all, the multiplayer via Battle.net. The anonymous matchmaking service is a beautiful thing.

In fact...I'm gonna go play it right now ;)

9. Sick curtaiN Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I just finished the game a few days ago as well and as the other guys says... It lacks the story that I have been expecting from a five year(correct me if I'm wrong) project, but the gameplay makes it all worthwhile.

I did like the FMV sequences. Somewhat short but it did show incredible detail. I almost believed that orcs really existed in the world! :eek:

10. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I heard that if you finish the game on the hardest setting you will get a demo of Starcraft 2!!
    Haven´t checked that out myself though so I don´t know if this true

:coffee:

[ August 09, 2002, 13:16: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

11. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

As a matter of fact, that is false. There is no Starcraft 2 trailer at the end of Warcraft 3 on the hardest setting.

[I was gonna put this at the end of the post, but I have a spoiler warning and don't want to peeve people off: www.starcraft2.com was bought up by a fan years ago. After several months of ownership, Blizzard bought it from him and shut the site down. Now, after several years of inactivity, when you go to the site it redirects you to the Blizzard home page...hmmmm...]

A neat cutscene DOES appear, though.

MAJOR SPOILER!!!!

A bunch of Marines are fighting some Hydralisks and Zerglings when a group of flamethrower wielding Orcs come over the hill and mess EVERYONE up. Then a sheep comes over and explodes and kills the Orcs.

12. griffin1987 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

hey everyone...does warcraft 3 come with 2 cds, one for installing and one for playing? :hmm:

13. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31

Nope, one all purpose CD.

14. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Are there extra cutscenes if we play the hard level compared to the normal difficulty level? I mean i did the normal one and finished that and the cut scenes says something about playing it hard. ... so ... is therre?

15. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] This game is GRRREAT!

16. Palpatine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Good game and very addictive b-net play (even if most team games come down to which team co-ordinates their rushes best). I do hope that starcraft 2 will allow for a fully moveable camera that will stay rotated. Force Commander (which idiots who can't take 30 minutes to learn the controls missed out on) had a much better camera control for a true 3d rts.
    As far as the story goes, it was pretty standard blizzard fare, it gives a reason for each mission and lets their graphic artiists make cool cut scenes. It's not like it needs to be deep or anything, after all you're not interacting with the story in any way. Even doing the optional quests has no effect other than experience you're hero probably won't use cause they cap it for each level :( . A branching mission tree would be another cool thing for sc2. Too bad those went out with wing commander 4. Actually more like 3, but 4 did have some branching, nothing like fighting the Dreadnaut all by yourself in an excalibur though.

BTW: if any of you would want to play some aranged team games I'm Palpatine on the usa east server (azeroth I think).

17. griffin1987 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Ok OK, I've installed warcraft 3, replaced War3.exe and WarEdit.exe to the game file from the CD so i don't need the CD. I get on Warcraft, watch the movie with the Orc And Human fighting then when the introduction is over the game just goes black with the mouse clicker in the middle of the screen. I can't get out of it without shuting off the computer. Anyone know how I can fix this? I'd really appreciate it, it drives me crazy...I've been waiting sooooo long to play this game.... :help:

18. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31

How do you do the no-cd crack? I don't know how to get it to work. Also where is the best place to download one from?

19. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] [Link removed - sites like this one are not welcome on SP] - Ex

It's a grrreat site!

[ August 22, 2002, 20:53: Message edited by: Extremist ]

20. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31

I have that site and i already tried it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.