1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Want to make this playthrough a real one

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Melhisedek, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Do I need a healer in party? So far I haven't seen any need for one, but than again I haven't met anything that hard yet :)

Also should I just sell all the scrolls my mage knows, and the stones, like amethyst and the diamonds, are they just for selling or should I save them for something?

2. Ironmancal2131

Ironmancal2131 Nice head, I think I'll take it

The stones are there for selling. The scrolls on the otherhand are useful. If you aren't gonna have a mage scribe them, you can keep them to use as a quick item. And you don't really need anything in this game, as you can beat it with any class solo. Although having a healer is quite useful.

3. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

At low levels a druid is sufficient and many finished the game without a cleric.
    But a level5 cleric makes the game far easier.
    You'll find at least 2 clerics in later chapters.

Just sell the stuff you don't need. The money will help you far more than using the scrolls.

4. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

I really appreciate all the help guys :) Sadly I have to bother you again ;)

I've found one book that will add +1 to my Charisma :p IIRC there are others as well with + stats to STR and such. Should my guy take them or should I give them to the PCs? (I already "know" the answer to this one but still, want to get it confirmed by the pros)

By the way I'm in love with the game... Thanks folks!

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Use it with your PC. NPC stat raises are not transfered to BG2.

6. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Ok, well now in chapter III and story is still unfolding :) (Love the dream sequences)

Anyway I hate how everyone walks so slow :( Is there anything I can do about that? Also what should I set Pathfinding setting at so the group doesn't get stuck between eachother or some of them go around for miles?

Had some troubles with two "jellies" that were owning me hard, they were immune to magic and to most of my weapons, took me a good deal of reloading to get rid of them :)

P.S. is it true you get to meet Drizzt in this game?

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Drizzt, Elminster, Volo, and more... but you get to see all of these well before Chapter 3, as far as I remember...

8. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Hmmm I remember Volo guy (who is he anyway) Elminster is kinda referenced but I never met him, neither I did meet Drizzt... I'm starting all over if I have missed Drizzt :/

9. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

There's a mod wich alters walkingspeed, but since I never use the original BG anymore (besides to install EasyTuTu) I can't tell you if it works for BG. I don't quiet remember wich mod it was, but I think it's part of a tweakpack somewhere.

10. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Here is said mod Fast Walking . I never tried it but if it is on this site it should work fine.

If this doesn't work there is another way, but it opens the door to ruining the game with cheating so I wont tell you unless you ask.

As for Elminster, he is the old man you meet going off the first map if you go East and follow the road. He says "Stay thy way wanderer" and is wearing red robe and red hat.

11. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Oh I remember him... I met him just before Xan and Montaro :) He didn't say he was Elminster (bad manners ;) )

How about Drizzt? I'm positive I haven't seen a single drow... Cross my heart :p

On the "Fast Walking" mod... can I use it with my present saves or do I have to start new game?

12. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

"Stay thy course wanderer" wasn't? ;)

13. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    "Ho there, wanderer. Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man."

14. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    just continue searching map areas as you are and youll find drizzt - and get to do some slaughtering

15. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

I saw Drizzt :) Man it warmed my heart ;) I'm just gonna sit here for a moment and be a bit emotional if you don't mind..

16. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    "DON'T - POKE - DRIZZT! 'Tis entirely unsociable."

17. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If you want faster movement, the simplest solution is just to go into the config program and set "FRAMERATE" from 30 (normal) to 60, which will increase speed in the entire game to twise as fast. this of corse also means walking. Generally this results in alot more pausing etc to keep track of combat as things are happening twise as fast. Personally i cant stand palying with anything less than framerate 60.

Btw, sometimes you can actually gain alot by giving tomes to NPC's, Many NPC's have one or two poor stats that could be bettered. Forexample Kivans Dex of 17 can be increased to 18, giving him another obnus to armor and hit with ranged attacks. If your own character was say a elf with dex 19 already, or a paladin with dex 13, then you would be better of with gicing the tome to Kivan. But this all depends. Simplest solution is giving everything to your own hero.

18. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

About wands... do they have unlimited charges or? (love Fire Wand)

19. Ironmancal2131

Ironmancal2131 Nice head, I think I'll take it

They have a finite number of charges, but you can sell them and buy them back at full recharge, but then they're expensive as heck.

20. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's another bad thing about original BG. You can't see how many charges a wand has. Argh! I couldn't cope without Tutu, I really couldn't.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.