1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wait a Minute - It's Minute

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Oh yeah. Milton Melf is a lot better. No wonder the guy messed up the name his spell.

They are 'mine-yewt' meteors, but since it is a spell and in writing, he should have called them 'Melf's Miniature Meteors'. Same scheme with the triple M's, and less confusing.

Seriously, Melf was probably on a 'Melf's Acid Arrow' or two when he named them. :xx:

[ August 03, 2004, 12:26: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

2. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I've always thought 'minit', but now that I think about it it should be mynewt. Melf probably wanted all his high school enemies to attempt to cast it and fail.

Snilloc's Snowball Swarm is a much better name- no possibility for confusion there. Imagine -Snilloc's Subzero Sphere Stockpile.

3. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

omg u guys have too much time on ur hands! Personally,
    i prefer to actually play the game.....

4. Rogue Paladin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Did everybody totally miss my "Melf's Little Burning Balls" joke? Man, I thought it was a classic.

5. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

You all need less free time. Though, jumping on the bandwagon, I agree it's My-noot but I didn't actually thinkabout it until this haha.

6. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I've always said it as minit, it would not be minit because they last for that long, or because it takes that long to cast them. I think that the minit just implies that it only takes a small amount of time to create (cast).

I mean when you say I'll be a minute (minit) only the most disterbing high school teacher is going to endevour to take that long, most normal people just use minute as a prefix for a short period of time (unless you state how many minits)

7. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

I always thought of 'minit'. Didn't even now the other meaning of minute ('my-newt'). Thanks for clearing this up! Gotta catch 'em all (those meteors anyway)...

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I've always said "my-newt" (my as in mine and newt as a in a small creature).

But that's probably the New Zealander in me...

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    "my-newt or my-noot" makes more sense to me than "minit".

10. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Since I speak spanish me and my friend always say it just like is written... by the way, sounds awful

11. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

They're tiny meteors.

"my-noot"

12. Veldrin the Drow Gems: 2/31

I never noticed this before but yeh that is quite puzzling, i think its My-Newt but i could be minute, Maybe his Familar was a Newt and it had somthing to do with the making of them lol.

13. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

Isn't Newt that girl from Aliens? I wonder what Melf got himself in...

14. Klorox

MMM's last until they're dispelled or thrown. I routinely cast the spell before my party rests.

If they had a low duration, they might be minute (60 seconds) meteors, but they last a whole lot longer than that.

15. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Wow... what a debate about a spell I never even learn..... I always find more usefull things to put in my spellbook that don't become completely obselete when you get a few sunstone bullets and a good sling...

16. Klorox

Your sunstone bullets can hit any monster in the game? MMM's are +5 weapons. They're realy cool if you're a dual-weilder too.

BTW Jan, you spelled your last name incorrectly. ;) :p

17. Korgal the Strong Gems: 2/31

i have always said minit instead of my-newt. this is because i had never even bothered to think about it until now(i mean seriously! why would anyone put any thought into this?) but thats just me that lazy bum who only comes out of his room to get food and use the restroom. now that my brain is working id have to agree that it is pronounced my-newt but i think ill just go on saying minit cause im to lazy.

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

My-newt Meteors...how can there even be any doubt? They're tiny, hot lil things...they're my-noot!!

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Anything that can be hit by +4 weapons, so while techinically not EVERYTHING, a vast array indeed.

20. Jolt Gems: 2/31

yes it must be my-noot..not minit...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.