1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Vote for "Baldur's Gate continuation"! *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Well the Poll is sort of dumb.

Both the Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment storylines are finished. There is no reason to continue either, and doing so would be sacrilegious as far as I'm concerned. Never finished any of the Icewind Dale games so I don't know much about there storylines.

This leaves us with Fallout.

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Actually I'd disagree that the BG storyline is finished. TOB left it open so the possibility was always there that BG3 was planned at some point. I remember finishing it for the first time as an evil character and having the end movie if you choose to become a God - "You are the Bhaalspawn, Lord of Murder, and you will destroy all who stand in your path" - which kind of gives the impression that your adventures are going to continue after TOB finishes. Of course, a game from the viewpoint of a God wouldn't be much fun (except for powergamers) but I still think there's the potential here for another game to be made.

Of course, it never will be made but it's nice to dream. I'll be playing BG1 and 2 long after NWN is a fading memory and it's just a shame a third game can't be made.

3. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Who guarantees that the protagonist would remain a god? As you can read in the BGII manual (note of Elminster): "Gods may become mortal, and mortals may become Gods. Such is life in the Realms." Of course the problem written above does not exist if you have chosen not to become a god at the end of the game.

4. david w Gems: 19/31

Interesting point. Maybe BG3 could follow your exploits after a rival God robs you of your powers and you're made mortal again. You could strive to regain your Godhood and wreak vengeance on the evil so-and-so who stole your divine heritage.

5. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I have the perfect solution to a Baldurs Gate 3 story! It could start out with the protagonist as a god. Then there could be something that causes your character to be stripped of godhood and returned to the mortal realms. After that you could either wander around faerun for one final adventure, fighting dragons and all manner of fearsome beasts. Or the point of the game could be to regain godhood and return to the pantheon and your former glory...

6. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31

I think it would be better to take something that is already in motion in another part of FR and make a game about that. The Bhaalspawn thing can rest.

Maybe make something about the return of the city of Shade? That would be cool. They touched on the whole netherese thing with NWN, but it did not deal with real FR history like BG did with the time of troubles.

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Damn, talk about forcing out a story. "Oh yes, the story is concluded, but hey, let's pump out sequals anyhow." This isn't Disney people! This is Interplay! Who, while just as evil (... scrap that, Interplay is worse), should not do such (but probably will anyhow).
    Remember how The Matrix was butchered by sequals! Surely you don't truely want such a fate to happen to BG!

8. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The BG series is dead, I'm being really blunt right now, it was a good series, but now it's dead, you can't expand it to fit the rest of the realms, because according to WoTC all the events that took place in the game never happened because it would change the entire FR world too much. So, there is nowhere else for the BG series to go.

9. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, I wouldn't mind a story with relation to the Blood Wars! And maybe, being a god, the character tries to find a way to end the viscous cycle or ( being evil...) wants the struggle to continue on to the prime material planes!

may be a cameo with the Nameless one could get the story moving.
    And if you did not choose the path of godhood, then, it would be a case of the final punishment for a child of an evil god.
    thus, the PC must fight his/her way out of the blood Wars and maybe, find a new meaning to his life. plus, added cameos of past villains such as Sarevok, Melissan, Jon Irenicus and the prince of Demons, Demogorgon?

what do you think?

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Crap. You can't just keep pumping out über monster after übermonster. It gets boring. Low level adventures are the best because you don't know the limits, never sure if that arrow will kill you or not, or whether tackling the ogre is a good idea.

11. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I prefer high level adventures with spells blasting mountains apart and swords mowing down hordes of enemies, thank you very much.

Wondering whether the next arrow fired by a goblin will kill me or not is not my idea of fun. Unless said goblin is a Fighter 20/Assassin 10/Rogue 20 shooting me in the back with a slaying arrow less than 30 feet away and scoring a critical plus sneak/death attack.

Low level adventures are nice and all but I would like to get beyond them someday. As in quickly. As in less than 2 hours of gameplay. Therefore the level 10 limit in TOEE sucks. And that's why BG2 is so much better than BG1. Getting killed by a single critical hit from a Xvart at level 3 is only funny the first 10 ten times it happens.

I'm a munchkin. And proud of it.

But a BG3 will not be good. No offense meant, but all the suggestions here so far stink.

A totally new game with a totally new storyline but done by the same BG2 crew would be awesome.

Unfortunately, that would be totally impossible as well. :(

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

The Bhaalspawn saga is complete people. It doesn't become any more finished than it is. The PC is uber-powerful and could probably slaughter an entire army fairly easily (Gods know you did against Yaga Shura). What would the point be of continuing? Okay, maybe the PC could be a child of the Bhaalspawn or a grandchild? However that leaves dwarves, halfings, gnomes and half-orcs out of the potential races the PC could be. Alignment could be based upon who the PC's mother was (sorry Anomen, but we'll have to assume the PC was male). But this is only 'if' the company making the game agrees the PC did not accept godhood AND had a romance. See? Impossible. Too many 'ifs'. The Bhaal Saga is finished.

All we can do is hope Black Isle form their own company and produce more games like the ones they have been so renound for. It doesn't have to be called 'Baldur's Gate #'. Why not another city? Why name it a city at all? Who knows, after seeing their work and their potential for good storywriting, WotC might allow the game they create to be an 'offical' happening in the Forgotten Realms. But that's only hoping.

13. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

You may be right. I do not bury it yet though.

You are right in both cases. It is obvious that this is not Disney. If BG is continued somehow, it does not have to developed by Interplay.

If the saga is continued somehow after all (In spite of my viewpoint, I must admit that I do not see too big chance of it), it must not make the following mistakes:
    1. Forced story. It kills the game.
    2. Kill the feeling of BG. It is good but not
    BG anymore.
    If they cannot avoid these problems, it is better to leave the saga and do not bother it.

The only way to create a story would be a totally weak, first level protagonist who lost all his Bhaal powers. But anyway, oh no, I must admit it again: it is so finished that I cannot do anything!

14. david w Gems: 19/31

Part of me is tempted to suggest that if the game was half as good as BG2, then I could overlook any kind of weaknesses in storyline such as my God has just lost all his powers and been reduced to 1st level and now must regain his powers.

I kind of like the idea of a game based around Shade though. Some of the mages there - Lord Shadow in particular - could give a party that finished Ascension a run for their money.

15. The Netherlord Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I want to see a new FR or Planescape game made. I don't want to continue the Planescape: Torment or the BG Saga, but I do want to see games taking place in the same world, preferably after those events so that you can enjoy hearing about them (though not neceserally). I voted to continue Planescape: Torment... there is way too few computer games about that incredibly cool game world. There is SO may ways to create a good game taking place there... why don't they do it then? A new forgotten realms game would be nice as well (NOT neverwinter nights style). In a new area, preferably (hmmm.. how about Thay, Underdark or Halrua?). Oh and now I'm at it WHY did they make Abdel the official victorious bhaalspawn? I mean he didn't even want to be a god when he was given the choice... what a disappointment.. (hope I didn't spoil anything there, but you HAVE read the book right? Otherwise you probably weren't going to anyway... :) )

16. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

I dont think it would be impossible to have most of the BG crew working with a different company on a new title. Its not like they died...

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

The closest thig you're going to get to Black Isle is Obsidian, where 18 out of 20 of the members are ex-Black Isle.

And yes, any sequel of the series will be made by Interplay or one of their divisions, or some crap other designer.
    And the reason I mentioned Disney is their ability to ruin any good movie by pumping out sequels, which suck.

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] The BG games were made by BioWare, not BIS. And BioWare is still all there.

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

... Good point. BIS only did a few things, nothing to do with the story or anything. The only one I can remember is the music and sounds.

BUT: Interplay is the one who holds the license, and BIS were the ones working of Jefferson's (ie. BG3)

[ February 10, 2004, 11:17: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

20. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    I agree with Shura. The BG series should be continued, but the third should start from scratch.
    Something like the Final Fantasies 1-7.
    (What happened from 9-11 in that series is beyond me.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.