1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Video Card question

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Maurolava, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Before we get ahead of ourselves do you have a roomy case? Some GPU cards can be large.

2. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

Ok, I think I'm now in between two cards:

1. Radeon HD 4850 512MB
    2. GeForce GTS 250 512MB

Being $119.99 and $134.99 respectably. Does the 15 bucks make a difference?

This is what the case looks like ~> CASE

Inside look:

[​IMG]

If it makes a difference, I guess I should also specify the rest of my system configuration:

Pentium 4HT 3.2 GHz
    1GB of RAM (Upgrading to 2GB as soon as I can figure this video card)
    Windows XP SP3
    350W PSU (Upgrading as well to this one I hope is a good one )

That's all I can think...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Maurolava likes this.
  4. Maurolava

:confused: I being thinking about the PSU... I don't know if I can actually use it. If I'm looking at it correctly the fan is siting in top of it instead of the back of it like the one I have.

The problem I see is the fact that, the case I have is closed in the top. Am I missing something here?

5. Chandos the Red

Media:
    No, that could be a problem. The ps will need venting since it blows quite a bit of warm air out through the fan. It's not hot, but slightly warm (typically). Still it will raise the temp in the case, and the ps might heat-up, unless it is vented in some way. If the fan is right against the top of the case with no venting, I would choose one that vents out the back instead. If you have a few inches of clearance between the top and the ps, it won't damage the ps, but without good air circulation, it will still raise the overall temp inside the case. I notice that the ps has a lot of venting out the back, which should help cool it a bit.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You can just turn it around and have the big fan go into the box I assume. At least that's how mine is set up. I just have another small fan at the back of the box to help with the ventilation.

7. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Good idea. Sometimes the mounting screws are off-set though...still, he could just leave one out.

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Most PSU vans are sucking fans. The fan of a PSU sucks air trough the processor cooler(the big metal tower) and blows it trough a mesh out of the case. In your picture the pc is laying on its back. There has to be a ventilation opening in the back. Trough that it blows out. If so the situation is normel

Measure the dimension of the PSU in your case. Many might be bigger in size and as a result do not fit.

Chandos the Red likes this.
  9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
  10. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Yes, mine does that. But the fan is on the bottom of the psu, not the top. Still, it might very well be a reverse fan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

That's a very nice video card, Snook. It should be very fast.

My wife is giving me these new parts for Xmas. But I'm keeping my old 9800 GT for now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145265

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128400

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Yep, nice card Snook. It's better than my ATI 4870. I have to say that I am not in any way biased toward ATI, it's just that when I bought my card, ATI offered the by far best price/performance ratio. I have to say I am happy with my choice, my card performs well.

And I am jealous about your hardware as well Chandos. What are you upgrading from?

No upgrade in the foreseeable future for me, except for a new large HDD. With an Intel 9450 Quad @ 2,66 MHz, 8GB RAM and my 4870 I don't expect significant performance problems on my 19" screen(s) any time soon. The SSD, whenever it comes, will provide a nice general speed boost, or so I imagine.

I imagine that down the road in 2010 I might get a new 22-24" screen, which will then inevitably lead to a new graphics card in 2011 as newer games on higher resolution will drive up my hardware requirements.

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Ragusa - I am upgrading from an Intel D965P based system with an E6600 processor and 4GB of DDR800 RAM.

Yes that is still a fast system. You should be set for a few more years. But I would spring for a larger, wide screen display.

13. Ragusa

Media:
    Oh, then that upgrade is beyond the 'nice to have' category :)

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, to be honest, I'm not much of a gamer any longer. But since I was now running Win 7, I figured it would a nice time to upgrade the hardware as well.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Snook, did you use the SP link on top of the page for that by any chance? All these in-thread links aren't affiliated so they don't count.

16. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    :D I have to share my affiliated link purchases (with the Mrs.) and it wasn't SPs turn. Don't worry you are in the rotation and you did get Teen Snook's huge upgrade last year.

17. Merlanni

Media:
    Hold On. What do you mean it is on the bottom? Look at the pci slots. From wich angle has it been photographed?

By the way, in my gamers case, Cooler master Haf 922, the PSU is located at the bottom also. it sucks cool air from the bottom and does not send it up.

18. Ragusa

Media:
    Good point. In my Antec case, the PSU in fact aids cooling by sucking warm air out of the case and blowing it out. It's also mounted at the bottom of the case.

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, in my case the unit sits on its side. So, in my particular case, the fan faces towards the outside of the case, since it is laying on its side. But the unit looks just like this when it is sitting on a desk:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Image...tive PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Merlanni - Actually, his fan is on the bottom of the unit as well. The BFG is really pictured upside down. Look at the holes for the set screws.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Image...V V2.8 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  20. Maurolava

In another words, it should not be a problem for my case, right?

BTW, Chandos do you know if the PSU that I am looking to buy sucks or blows air?

@Snook: :( I wish I had that kinda money to get your card, looks great!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.