1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Viconia Epilogue

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by The Shaman, Jun 28, 2011.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hi, I came across a LP guide for Baldur's Gate 2, and I noticed it had two epilogues for Viconia. Now, iirc the one I knew (without romance) talked about how she became somewhat of an outcast and did several other things, here it is:
    No longer with <CHARNAME>, Viconia went on to found a cult dedicated to Shar in the city of Waterdeep. One of her followers betrayed her, however, prompting the slaughter of the whole tainted lot. Shar admonished Viconia strongly for this, but she was unrepentant and again wandered the Realms. Viconia was still formidable, and went on to prevent an attempt by the Knights of the Shield to take over Calimport, and even worked with Drizzt Do'Urden to save the elven city of Suldanessalar from a Zhentarim plot. For this last act, the elves accepted her, and Queen Ellesime bestowed the highest honors of the Seldarine, an accolade never before given to one of her dark kind. Viconia reportedly bowed once without emotion, and then left. Her fate remains unknown.

((I presumed this meant Viconia just shrugged and took off without any rewards, which I found rather cool of her.))
    However, the guide had another, here it is:
    Viconia traveled only for a short time after parting ways with <CHARNAME>, eventually starting a cult dedicated to Shar within the massive city of Waterdeep. One of her followers would eventually turn against her, precipitating a furious Viconia to slaughter the entire cult, herself. Shar did not forgive Viconia this trespass and removed her abilities. Viconia stubbornly refused to atone, however, and instead left Waterdeep to wander the Realms. The dark elf became known as an enigmatic and powerful figure as tales of her spread...and while it was known she no longer worshipped Shar, it was also known that her clerical powers were still great. Who the dark lady now worshipped, however, was her own secret to keep. She reportedly raised an army against the Vaasan Witch-King, viciously attempting to subvert rule over his Kingdom and only barely being defeated after several military failures. Viconia prevented an attempt by the Knights of the Shield to take over Calimport...only to take over the city herself days later and institute a reign of terror and cruelty which is spoken of even years later in shuddered tones. Viconia abandoned Calimport and, it is said, returned to the Underdark from whence she came. Hers was not a gentle return, however, as Viconia would become a conquering force amongst the drow to give even Lolth pause. Her mettle had been tested by both worlds, Viconia said, and proven herself worthy. She would make the drow strong whereas now they were weak. What eventually became of Viconia is unknown and shrouded in rumor...but it is said that even the great Spider Queen does not rest easily any more.
    Is that an ending you get with a more evil party? I generally kept mine good or neutral-ish.

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] If it's the guide I'm thinking of some of the epilogues aren't the final ones in the game, some were tweaked as the dialogues shaped up differently or they just didn't read well.

3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Actually, I think the LP mentioned the player was using Tactics and Ascention, perhaps these or other modules change the epilogues?

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] There are a couple of mods that alter epilogues, Ascension sounds likely out of the two of them. I remember Viconia being a hot topic years ago because people thought her epilogues let the character down in the end.

5. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    imo a neutral or tragic ending suits her perfectly.

I've always found it odd that in D&D characters with high Wisdom would sometimes resort to self-destructive acts for the hell of it. My opinion is that mentally these people are probably a few tankards short of a keg, even the most selfish but wise character would know that going evil all the way will get you killed, eventually. And for what? Evil? Evil is not a driving force, at least not for characters as fleshed out as Viconia. Revenge? I doubt that. Power? Among the NPC's Viconia alone would know just how fleeting power can be, which is probably why she chose Shar (goddess of loss) to be her new patron instead of standing up to Lolth and turning to some other deity. She also keeps a low profile and decides to live a life of exile before meeting you in BG2 instead of using her powers to actively establish her own power base in the surface (the fact that she simply didn't want to is supported by her stories).

If Viconia were to end up actively doing evil in the world then I think it would be more because of her quest to find answers or direction.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.