1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Vice-President Picks

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Aug 19, 2008.

1. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Thats your take on it, which doesn't mean a flying f@ck to me. Let them go on unemployment & ask your great messiah to help them. Once they find out that "oops, you aren't a minority, we have nothing for you" they may realise just how bad they helped screw the country.

Justed checked my files out of 56 sub-contractors, 21 have been vocal dems. They are gonna love it when i give out the new contracst & they get squat. HAHA i can't wait to see the looks on their faces(you see, these contracts are what most use for there christmas buying:) "Sorry honey, you don't get anything for christmas cause daddy was a dumb@$$"
    god i'm such a mean SOB(& i love every minute of it!)

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Pure class.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:

Do you have some kitchen guys? By all means, send them here. We could use them here, as there is a real shortage of good installers on the kitchen side. If you know any designers, send them as well, espeically if they are Dems...

BTW, I could sell that stuff faster than you can build it, IF I was still selling.

Companies that sell "exclusive" stuff are always easy to sell against. I loved it!

4. martaug Gems: 23/31

No DR, see im a rep i don't see class that a dem thing. There is no upperclass & underclass, there are simply those that are better at getting ahead in this world.
    And yes i know you meant it in a different way, i just felt like getting a dig in. :)

Why do you think i delayed assigning contracts until this week instead of 2 weeks ago? Hope for the best & plan for the worst. This is part of the plan if the worst happened.

Sorry chandos but unlike most kitchen guys from texas these guys aren't undocumented aliens & would want far more than you typically get away with paying them.

5. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] :owell, i guess martaug won this one. he managed to screw 21 of his fellow countrymen. i mean democrats.
    Seeing as they were subject to his whim, their jobs were pretty insecure anyway... Lets hope the ecomony picks up, who knows they'll actually get better jobs (and bosses)

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Well, that's a good point. But I'm not a contractor or anything, I just know a few of them in the business. And you are right about the quality of work here, which has nothing to do with whether they are "undocumented" or not; it's because the contractors here are so so friggin' cheap.

Well, that's usually what happens. And it's also a good reason not to think of yourself as an employee, but an independent business person. Get really good at what you do, and your company will be afraid that you will work for the competition. It's better to be a "hired gun," rather than a company slave....

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No martaug, those are social classes. I'm referring to displaying dignity and respect, even in defeat, like when a coach loses the super bowl, he congratulates the winning coach, and people say "hey, what a classy guy." That kind of class. The kind that I'm certain even Winston Churchill would have showed. The kind that says that when you lose, you accept it and move on - you don't act like a 41-year old baby and punish working men for exercising their constitutional right to vote (or even joke that you will).

Class. As in, you don't have any.

8. martaug Gems: 23/31

Nope Dr, not a bit.
    What i can be is the best friend you have ever had, better even than family.
    HOWEVER, get on my bad side . . . . lets just say that i live up to my reputation of making satan seem like ghandi.

9. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Okie dokie.

Sorry you didn't get the result you wanted out of this election.

10. martaug Gems: 23/31

Not as sorry as some dems tomorrow:)

11. coineineagh

Media:
    [​IMG] It matters not, glasshoppah:geezer: Benefit them all, it will;)
    Those employees that *claimed* they vote republican, will 'suffer' from better working conditions, despite your best efforts. Those that were careless to tell you personal info, will get better work.

But I'm just guessing here, that these lay-offs are economically motivated, and you're just claiming them as revenge to let off steam. You foresee more taxes, wages and better employee rights in the near future, so you wind down your business accordingly. This will create a better atmosphere for small businesses (competition) to fill the void you left. You can't prevent being the one that gets f@cked eventually, as you so colourfully put it. We're all just pawns, even you!
    Enjoy the lay-offs.

12. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    martaug, if you fire your employees/contractors on a whim, then ultimately you will have the employees/contractors you deserve. This is not necessarily the ones you want for business purposes.

13. martaug Gems: 23/31

Actually coineineagh, i will have to turn down 1(maybe 2) projects as i won't have enough crews for the jobs at the moment. I already have a dozen jobs on a building list & considering we can only do 3-5 jobs a year(depending on size) thats about 2.4-4 years worth of work. The absolute smallest construction we will do(homewise) is $500k, the ave. is about $1.25mil, thats why i have to have an unlimited contractors license.

With the building market the way it is right now i will be able to replace them with probably better workers. Seeing as a lot of builders have had to cut back, those that haven't have been able to consolidate the best workers & improve their general base. It's already happened with plumbers & electricians. You've got guys that have worked for the bigger home building companies for years(heck decades in some case) being let go or their work load cut in half. They want to provide for their families so they go where they can. Just look at John Wieland Homes for one, we got 30-35 guys just from them. They let about 350 go, some of whom had 20+ yrs with this 1 company. Our productivity rate is up a solid 15% since 2006.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] For various threats, bypassing of the auto-censor, deliberate baiting and generally insulting posts (all in a single thread), martaug has just won an exclusive 7-day vacation outside of the Alleys that he so desperately needs. I hope that by the time we allow you to participate in these discussions again, martaug, you will have realized that everything DOESN'T go here. If not, we'll consider stricter measures of trying to get you to understand that.

Everyone, please carry on with the discussion on-topic.

15. coineineagh

Media:
    [​IMG] Harsh, but necessary. I just stopped by the alleys to post congratulations, when I saw martaug's remarks. As a non-american, I sometimes forget how emotionally involved people can get in politics. When I saw him totally losing it:roll::mad:, martaug reminded me again. I just hope I didn't fuel anger that eventually led to his employees getting fired - maybe he would've calmed down without any feedback.
    Hey, does anyone know martaug's company, and employees? His statements might serve as evidence in wrongful dismissal trials...

Back on topic: Personally, I would have preferred Hillary. It was just wrong that she was voted out by 'superdelegates', a term I'd never even heard of before. It didn't seem democratic at all. When Obama seemed to get all that campaign funding, when even the republicans couldn't raise so much money - well, it made me think he was up to his neck in underhanded dealings with shady lobbyists. But, maybe this feeling of hope is contagious, because I've got a renewed interest in politics:bigeyes:. Maybe Obama will actually do some good after all.:)

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You may want to check your facts here, because that is decidedly NOT what happened. More people voted for Obama in the primaries than voted for Hillary, he won more primaries than her, he won more causcuses than her, and he won more elected delegates given to the winner of the aforementioned primaries and caucuses. The superdelegates voted in accordance with the will of the people. If the superdelegates had instead voted for Hillary, it would be Obama that would have been voted out, in what would have been a highly undemocratic process. I think you got what happened with the superdelegates reversed.

17. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    AIUI, the Democratic establishment initially favored Clinton. For sure the media did.

18. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Which media would that be? I think that after the first 2-3 primaries Obama was gaining quite some momentum, and I simply don't know how it was before that

19. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
  20. Death Rabbit

Media:
    I told ya so just dudn't quite say it.

I'm not so sure we have to worry much about Sarah Palin in 2012.

Even Fox News can't deny the obvious any longer.

EDIT: That said, I really like Shep Smith and usually like Carl Cameron. They're two of the few decent and watchable folks on Fox News. But still, the truth hurts.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.