1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Vice-President Picks

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    DR,
    before she is allowed to face the press, she first has to go through GOP VP boot camp, and learn every talking point they have by heart. Because they re-write them demi-weekly, that's a strenuous task. And she has to be briefed on evil, err, foreign policy, by those vaunted neo-con wise guys. All that takes time. And then, perhaps she is seeking some more spiritual guidance - after all she is to face and fight witchcraft in Washington (the part with Sarah is at 7:30).

And this pastor, Thomas Muthee, kicks witch ass. He gained fame within Pentecostal circles by claiming that he defeated a local witch, Mama Jane, in a great spiritual battle, thus liberating his town from sin and opening its people to the spirit of Jesus. Probably her congregation, the Wasilla Assembly of God, is casting her some holy silver bullets for her blessed six-shooter right now. Godless latté drinking atheist liberals, don't complain I didn't warn you - you're on notice! Sarah is coming for you soon enough!

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Wow. Now Palin apparantly has a pastor problem.

Love that alliteration.

3. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Ragusa, I realize you hate conservative Christianity, but lets look at this seriously. Her church and it's beliefs are really only slightly more 'extremist' than her abortion beliefs, which a vast portion of the American population support. The belief in the Christian community that witchcraft, while rarely real, is increadibly dangerous when it is, is neither new nor terribly controversial. After all, we do believe in a literal devil and demons. Many of us even believe that people can be posessed (though you don't cast a demon out by beating, starving, or otherwise harming the posessed, that's just plain criminal). Belief in the supernatural is kind of part of the show, and tends to be much more serious among the more liberal churches. I wouldn't be surprised if Rev. White has been involved in a few exorcisms in his time.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I'll take your word for it when it comes to Pentecostal Christians. I'm not one of them so I certainly cannot make any claims as to what they believe. However, I doubt that the vast majority of Americans are against abortion even in the case of rape and incest.

5. Ragusa

Media:
    NOG
    no, no, no: I cannot look at this seriously. First, I don't hate those people. It is that I am in many ways afraid of them. Their theology is often ... peculiar. Their views are simplistic. They are literalists. They have a great, great potential for zealotry. Also, I find it disturbing to have someone, anyone who's looking forward to Armageddon anywhere near a trigger, and that includes Bush as much as Palin. Granted, they are pious, have a lot of fervour, and conviction, but since when is that a quality in itself?

See, I am Catholic: Odds are that for those people I am a moon worshipper and in the camp of the Antichrist and will go to hell, didn't you know? So why should I look at such nonsense seriously, except perhaps when making a threat assessment?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Let's put the crazy pastor stuff aside for a minute. People wanted to see Sarah speak in her own words, now here it is.

Please bear in mind, before and after watching this, that John McCain's poor health means it is far more than likely that this person could be President of the United States in a few months.

I repeat: President.

First up: here's Sarah Palin having no idea what the Bush Doctrine is. Not kidding. Single most important foreign policy concept of the last decade...no idea what Charlie's talking about

Here we have Sarah Palin claiming foreign policy experience with Russia because Russia is so close, and Putin flies over Alaska on his way to America. Still not kidding. This was stupid when McCain campaign surrogates were saying it. It's absolutely surreal to hear the candidate herself try and sell this.

The next two are on economic policy and the bailout. I'm not even sure if she's speaking English in these.

When I watched these interviews, I couldn't help but be reminded of the time in the 7th grade when I had to do an oral report on a book I'd never read. I had no idea what I was talking about, so I basically scanned over enough of the book that I could throw out enough nuggets of fact that I could perhaps create the illusion that I wasn't completely in over my head. Basically I just bullsh*tted my way through in an effort to run out the clock. The teacher knew I it, the class knew it, I knew it. Incidentally, I got an F. So did Sarah Palin.

I wonder if Snook still wishes he could flip things and put her at the top of the ticket...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yeah, DR, the Sara "bubble" burst after she opened her mouth in a regular interview. But the party faithful will follow these people anywhere, since it doesn't really matter to them. Maybe they could have a swimsuit show instead of a debate. I don't think Joe would stand much of a chance. Or, maybe I could be the Mayor of Houston since I live so close to the city. Or better yet, we could both be rocket scientists, since we live so close to NASA. :)

8. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Ugh, that foreign policy video was awful. The governor of Alaska has foreign policy credentials because Putin flied over her state? That is either completely clueless or blatantly lying.

BTW, I loved it how she said that the economic policy her team is espoucing is aiming to reduce government spending, create jobs, boost trade (er... how?) - and then she says the bailout is a part of that. A 700-billion bill aiming to reign in government spending? :outta:

9. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Aldeth, I'm a Baptist, one of the more 'conservative' (i.e. grounded in science and less belief in the supernatural) groups, and we believe that kind of stuff.

Ragusa, I apologize for my mistake. Reactions of fear and hate do look a lot alike, especially in writing. I do understand your fear, but I assure you a zealot Christian group would look a lot different, and no serious Christian believes they or their actions have anything to do with the Second Comming. WWIII with Russia just means you killed a lot of people before the Second Coming happened.

I wish I had high speed internet and could watch those videos.

10. Ragusa

Media:
    For all those who still believe that Mrs. Palin has 'national security experience' because she is head of Alaska's National Guard - the people who are defending Alaska are actually those folks here. Oddly, they didn't include Sarah in their chain of command.

But back to the more interesting events of current politics in the US. It appears that Mrs. Palin was taken out by her handlers and allowed some excitement! Learning boring stuff all day - we all know how that sucks. About time for a jaunt! She was then seen in New York at the UN with Afghanistan's Hamid Karzai. Word has it that she was talking with him about his kid.
    She’s ready folks! No reason to hide her any longer! However, Randy Scheunemann, her handler, chased them reporters out afterwards. Luckily I have my mole at the UN who provided me with the transcript of their further conversation:
    Both are said to have left the meeting with a deeper understanding of each other. (h/t)

11. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I take it by the radio silence from Snook and others that Sarah Palin being nothing short of a national embarrassment is pretty much indisputable at this point. Well, I did tell you...

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Ragusa,

For all the fun you are attempting to have at Palin's expense, she is still very popular. No matter how much her critics want to harp on her lack of experience she still has more executive experience than Obama has (who has none). As I said earlier in the thread "I would much rather have someone with a shortfall of experience a heartbeat away from the Presidency, then someone with a shortfall of experience be the President. "

It pains me to say it, but Hillary would have been a better choice for President then Obama, and she definitly would have been a better choice for VP. Obama and Hilliary would have been unbeatable (IMO).

13. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    I agree with snook. No one said Palin had a great deal of foreign policy experience. I think the Alaska comments were intended as much as a joke as anything else.

On the up side, she seems to be doing a better job of VP than Biden. He's stuck his foot in his mouth and pointed out Obama doing the same at least once a week. I wonder why he isn't getting any media play?

14. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

You mean like this?

First he talks about needing to know what you are talking about then proves he doesn't!
    He talks about roosevelt going on tv to talk about the stock market crash, just 2 little things, H. Hoover was president & TV wasn't around yet.
    I didn't think you could get a foot that far down your own throat:)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  15. Ragusa

Media:
    NOG, Snook,
    you gotta be kidding. No way: They were dead serious about it. Palin herself is babbling all this nonsense of her having foreign policy or national security experience because ... Alaskans drink Russian Vodka, Putin once flew over Alaska, or because Alaskans have bears too... or some other asinine nonsense that I am seemingly unable or subconsciously unwilling to reconstruct now.

'Jokes' as campaign talking points being reiterated again and again by all the usual proxies? One would have expected that they then let their pundits in on the joke, before having them deliver such a splendid stand up comedy acts to the mainstream media. Odds are they just think their audience is a bunch of suckers, and that those who're too smart to buy that nonsense, but positively aligned anyway, like you, would excuse it as a joke because they cannot believe their party seriously does something that silly. Rather it must have been an elaborate ploy - or a joke!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  16. nunsbane

nunsbane

The U.S. population has A.D.D. Sarah Palin is nothing more than a new, shiny object in their environment with which they can be fascinated with for a short while. Her popularity is artificial and has been fading steadily from the first time that she opened her mouth. Palin is more than an embarrassment...she is flat *creepy*.

And Palin is not joking with her "Alaska comments".....as much as her supporters wish that she were.

17. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Creepy? Nunsbane, of all the people in this election, you think Palin is creepy? What are you *checks faq sheet: snorting, shooting, hitting, let's be polite* drinking?

As for artificial popularity, Obama seems to be doing just fine with it.

18. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Except that McCain doesn't have significant 'executive experience' either. If you think back to the primaries, you'll recall that his opponents attacked his lack of 'executive experience' repeatedly.

So, actually, there's no real difference between the two tickets in that respect. Being lieutenant commander in the Navy isn't exactly a qualification for the Presidency.

Ragusa likes this.
  19. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Well, it is an executive position, which is always something. Has Biden had any executive experience?

20. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Being a mayor of a town with only 5,000 people (per FactCheck.org, at the time Palin was mayor of Wasilla, the population was only 5,000) is hardly the kind of executive experience I'd be pointing to when running for the office of president or vice president. Any sensible politician with such a thin resume would be wise to point to qualities other than their experience, like their vision for the country, their judgment, or their positions on various issues.

That said, the "executive experience" debate is really quite silly, anyway. When a senator runs against a governor, the governor can ordinarily (and rightly) point out that the senator doesn't have experience as a chief executive. The senator, on the other hand, is often able to (again, rightly) point out that the governor lacks experience in dealing with foreign affairs. Being mayor (of a city large enough to mean something) or governor no more prepares you for the presidency than being a senator or representative.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.