1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Vegan girl

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Great Snook, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Err, no, you got it quite wrong. You'd be correct if our parents had made a concentrated effort to prepare meat just for us all the time. But all that they occasionally did was to make sure that it was the kind and in portions that children could eat, so that we got an idea what meat even was. Once we grew up enough that we could eat meat in the same way that they did, there was no more baby-sitting. Meat was on the table and if you wanted it, you could have it. If not, no big deal, there's potatoes, salad and cooked vegetables if you'd prefer that. And in case of all-meat dishes that my sister never liked, she just got something else that she'd actually eat prepared. I don't think that there are many parents who would force their children to either eat meat or go hungry, considering that there are always alternatives available.

Heh, I know what it is, exactly what I'm trying to tell you. :) Your way is no different than anyone else's ways as far as indoctrination in general goes. There are merely degrees of it. Just like you can teach religion that is tolerant or respectful of other religions, or religion which teaches that the members of your Church are the only ones that will go to heaven and everyone else is a heathen that is going to hell and shouldn't be associated with.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wherever there is an option for your child to get a vegetarian meal instead of one that includes meat, you'll make the decision for them that they should get the vegetarian one. When you continually and purposefully show children that meat (plus a bunch of other things) isn't a viable alternative, you force them to internalize that belief whether they like it or not. They will have opportunities to try meat, but even if they do they'll probably feel so guilty about eating it that they'll convince themselves that it tastes bad or stinks or some other funny excuse that I always hear from vegetarians as an argument over why they don't want to eat meat. By the time that they get to the point where they'll be able to decide for themselves, they'll have over a dozen years of indoctrination into a vegetarian diet behind them and it's very unlikely that they'll just switch to non-vegetarianism. It won't matter what their taste buds tell them, because the brain will (sub)consciously reject non-vegetarian food and make it unappealing for one reason or another. Not for everyone, but certainly for the majority.

So the choices that you think that they'll have will very likely be largely limited. Which, again, I don't really care about - nearly every upbringing results in that in many areas. It's only an issue when it is detrimental. And you can define that as only actual physical damage or simply as an outlook on life which shuns meat and dairy products. I'd consider that a great loss and unnecessary limitation and hence detrimental. But you wouldn't, so that's how you'll bring up your children. But telling yourself that it won't have long-term effects on them is simply unrealistic.

2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    That wasn't the impression I got from your earlier arguments, actually. It seemed to me that you were arguing that only vegetarians indoctrinate their children into their diet. I probably got that impression when you said this:
    I must have misunderstood your meaning.:p

Agreed, except I never said it wouldn't have long term effects. In parenting, very nearly everything you say or do will have long term effects.

Those excuses aren't as "funny" as you think. If you don't believe me, go vegan for a week. Cold turkey. When you end up sick and spending most of your time on the ****ter due to the fact that your body lacks the proper enzymes for such a diet - and when you get sick again from switching back - you should understand first-hand where those "funny arguments" come from. As sick as going vegetarian or vegan with no adjustment period and then switching back cold turkey will make you feel, eating meat after spending years as a vegetarian will make you feel even sicker.

Regarding guilt, I think you're being unfair. I've given my children no guilt trips about their diet, and I have no intention of ever doing so. If my son were to come home reeking of Aus Jus at 15, I wouldn't say a damn thing about it. It's better than smoking, after all, and teenage rebellion is not only perfectly normal, but teenagers tend to stop rebelling when it doesn't have the desired effect. Sure, my kids may feel a little guilty if they fall off the wagon, but the only reason for that would be the simple fact that they don't like the idea of killing for food when it isn't necessary. I have not and never will use emotional ploys with my children where their diet is concerned. All I have done, and all I will do is present the facts.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  3. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

In the military I had a few vegetarian weeks and never got sick or felt ill or even that much different. Granted I did eat milk so it was not a change to vegan diet and therefore is probably somewhat different but going on/off vegetarian from my personal expierence does not seem to cause much trouble.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That'd be because for practical purposes, I don't consider something to be indoctrination until it goes over certain borders. But to simplify things, we can call it lesser or greater indoctrination (because, really, it largely depends on a given definition of indoctrination). I thought that this was clear enough in my last post...

You haven't spelled it out, but your quote that I replied to suggested it quite obviously.

Oh, I believe you, but the problem is that you self-inflict that upon yourself. It's not because meat really tasted bad or stank. That's the funny bit - not that I wouldn't think that it really did taste bad or stank to a vegetarian or vegan. It's their assumption that it does (or should) to everyone, whereas in reality it only does to them, through their own conditioning.

That's good to hear, but I'd hazard a guess that your outlook on this isn't the norm among vegetarians (and I think we can both easily say that it certainly isn't among vegans).

5. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Nope, I'll have to disagree with you guys on this. The effect of the peers override the effect of the parents in most cases. Some parental conditioning does however have long term effects: that which has taken place in utero, the mother's dietary habits, and even that of the grandmothers (severe malnutrition shows in later generations) and that which takes place within the first three years of the childs life. These indoctrinations do not however have as much effect on the child later years personal life as has been supposed by earlier traditions in psychology and psychiatry. Which is to say that in the later years of a person's life, the peers have more influence even on the person's dietary habits than the parents do...

Now this doesn't mean that there wouldn't be indoctrination. Just specifying this point. That this specific suffered from malnutrition was caused by the parent's lack of wisdom in their dietary habits. No arguments there. But if someone chooses later in life to become a vegan, it has little to do with how the parents had fed this person and a lot to do with what the peers think about what's appropriate to eat.

One can condition oneself to eat and even like just about anything that's not poisonous and ingest a lot of substances despite their toxicity. Especially in western and "modern" cultures is done mainly in peer groups as the first contact to these type of substances in tribal cultures might happen as a part of an rite of passage. Of course the remnants of these types of initiation rites still exist in western cultures as well. Lutheran christian confirmation as an example, after which you're entitled to take part in the holy communion and drink the communal wine (before that it's bread only).

As Britain still has poor policy for school dinners (no matter how hard Jamie Oliver would try and change it *enter sneer here*). This girl simply didn't have any choices. Can the parents be blamed for their stupidity? Well, they're the cause of this specific case and they have shown to be absolutely negligent concerning the child's nourishment. But they're not the sole cause. Shame on them, but it makes you wonder what kind of society and what kind of peers breed these kind of idiots.

6. Drew

Media:
    I'm not so sure. I've known a good many vegetarians and vegans, and I've known them as people rather than as random activists. None that I have known have fit the stereotype. As a member of the vegan community myself, I often find myself wondering where these skinny, angry, intolerant vegans with no sense of humor spray painting fur coats and showing slaughter house pictures to young children are coming from. Though I'm constantly called on to answer to this stereotype as if I somehow fit it or am an exceedingly rare exception to the rule (wow, you aren't lazy and filthy like other mexicans...), I've never met a vegan that it fits. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure these people are out there, but don't confuse their volume with their numbers.

Not really. If your parents raised you in a religion that tells you that pre-marital sex is a horrible abomination leading to the fiery pits of hell, the odds are high that you will feel guilty when you first start having sex. This is but one example out of many. If you parent with too tight a grip, your child may end up doing a great many things he'll later regret in an effort to rebel. Too loose, and your child may become blind to the expectations and needs of others.

You know, most people think veganism is a bad idea and a ridiculous pursuit. You can rest assured that my decision to become vegan had nothing whatsoever to do with the opinions of my peers. To choose to be vegan is to choose to be an outsider, to invite tenseness in the office when you choose not to try Betty's barbecue or opt out of the monthly team builder at the local steak-house where not even the salad is vegetarian. You don't decide to become vegan because your buddy Steve thought it would be fun for a lark. Being vegan sucks, and anyone who becomes vegan just because his friends thought it'd be a good idea is an idiot.

My parents aren't vegetarian (in fact, my grandfather was a cattle buyer), but they were the ones who raised me to believe that everything I do can had a profound effect on those around me, and that I should always be mindful to those that my actions may unintentionally hurt. They taught me to always be mindful of those who cannot speak for themselves, that the only thing I should refuse to tolerate is intolerance. My parents are not vegetarian, but they planted the seed for it. I may have become vegan either way, but I was pre-conditioned by my own upbringing to reach the conclusion I did.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

It's a matter of the squeaky wheel gets the attention, I guess, Drew. As you say, the vegans you know are not radicals, but no one notices them as vegans. The ones we notice are the ones who are loud, obnoxious, sanctimonious, and all those other terms we use for crazy folks.

It brings to mind Chev's thread with the raging feminist advocating that men be considered guilty until proven innocent. Does she speak for all feminists? I hope not! But when I think feminist, I think of people like her.

The media doesn't help, either. When do we ever hear about PETA (I know they're not all vegans, I'm just making a point here) except in an article that basically says "oh, those crazy animal lovers are at it again!"

That said, though, all of the vegans I have met (mostly at University) who identified themselves as such struck me as being fairly representative of the stereotype, and so that's how I see these people. I probably passed hundreds of non-obnoxious ones, though, without knowing it.

8. Drew

Media:
    LKD, the attitudes of stereotypical vegans have been projected on me (not necessarily by you) several times in this thread. This gives me pause to wonder how many of the obnoxious, radical vegans people meet all the time actually, well, aren't. The simple fact that society has trained us to see vegans, feminists, or people of another race or culture a certain way can have a startling effect on how we interpret what they say and do, even when such stereotypes do not apply to the individual we are speaking to at that particular moment. There's a reason I don't let people know that I'm vegan until they already know me quite well. Experience has taught me that it's the only way I can get a fair shake.

9. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

It's the loudmouths that are the ones most likely to be heard. And when vegetarian or vegan diet are discussed, these people are what come to mind.

Why would they? Giving the bona fide lunatics a soapbox to rant on is cheap programming! And sometimes it's more entertaining than the crap they pay to produce. Maybe they could have a lunatic channel, I'm sure that it would be cheap to produce shows for these loonies and that would mean more profits...

10. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Alright, the vegans have went to far now! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1099212/synopsis
    There is a movie coming out about a vegetarian vampire!!! How did we get PC into the fantasy movie realm!?!?! Even supernatural blood-suckers aren't safe from the animal police!!!
    (all of the above was written with tongue firmly in cheek) :) but still vegie vampires!!

11. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

At the risk of totally derailing the thread, there's always been a veggetarian vampire! Of course, perhaps he doesn't count because he's a BUNNY! Didn't anyone here ever read "Bunnicula" when they were little kids?

Ahem, back to the topic at hand of veganism.

Drew, it is for that same reason that I let people get to know me first as a functional member of society before I come out and tell them that I am a Mormon. I think in Western society we are all leary of those we consider to be extremists, especially extremists we feel might be trying to change us or our society. In the case of animal rights activists, as soon as they start engaging in illegal activity (destroying the legal property of others) I lose all respect for the people actually committing the crime, and I also lose a little respect and trust for their allies who may not have even condoned the crime.

In the case of vegans, I do not trust them in general because I fear the activists who will use either legal or illegal means to impede my ability to access meat. The activists' behaviour tarnishes my view of the community in general.

That's all for now, . . . .

12. Drew

Media:
    Thanks. Aside from the fact that activists aren't actively trying to outlaw meat consumption and would never succeed even if they were, and that the majority of activists spend their time trying to get the government to enforce laws that are already on the books and lobbying chains like KFC and McDonalds to voluntarily purchase their food from sources that at least follow American cruelty standards, you choose to distrust an entire group of people based on the actions of a few of them. Classy.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  13. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Off-topic debate continues here.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.